Resident cat charge swatting new kitten repeatedly

hohohobosanta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, my gf and I recently adopted a new kitten (3 month male) to my home with our resident cat (1.5 year female). Here are two examples of said charge swatting. It's usually completely unprovoked while the kitten is simply exploring, playing, or just relaxing.

Prior to introducing them full on they were able to see each other through a screen with no hissing. Things were seemingly going well at first during face-to-face until hours later the resident cat suddenly charge swatted the kitten (first link). It happened twice where the second time the kitten had a watery eye (seems fine now) so we separated them and went to bed. The second day of face-to-face, they ate about 3 feet away from each other and the kitten was just exploring and playing and the resident cat charge swatted him about 4 times within 2 hours (one captured in second link). The video only shows the time where her tail was not swishing/puffed when she did it. It's strange that it's completely unprovoked and seemingly random. Is it time to separate them through the screen again? I feel especially bad for the kitten because I live in a studio apartment and the bathroom gets no natural light but he is definitely frightened of the resident cat at this point.

I will note that while the kitten is around the resident cat usually does not take her eyes off him and can't be distracted unless I give her churu. I have seen them exchange slow blinks two times so it feels like there are some mixed signals.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd take a step back and maybe even start over. The resident cat looks to be a bit disturbed with the kitten taking over her territory, so to speak. If the kitten is truly scared of the resident cat, you don't have much choice but to back up a bit.

How long ago did you bring in the kitten?

Here are some TCS articles about introductions and cats in general. The one talks about an older cat, which really doesn't apply to your resident cat in terms of age, but some cats behave as if they are older because they are more set in their ways.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat [A Guide] - TheCatSite
Do Cats Get Jealous? (And What To Do About It When They Do) - TheCatSite

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Cute kitten, and beautiful adult cat. From your videos, I don't think it looks too bad. The kitten does arch his back in the first video, but I think that was just that he wasn't expecting the swat. And in the 2nd video, the adult cat does a quick swat then walks away. In neither case does the kitten run away in fear. So for those reasons, I don't think things are that bad. But those are only 2 short videos, so maybe not showing the full picture.

Typically the things we would look for is the kitten running away from the adult cat, and hiding. In your case, he seems very interested in the adult cat, as he watches her walk away in the first video. Another thing to watch for would be fur flying or bloodshed. Or the adult cat seeming stressed, and not eating, playing, using the litter box normally.

If you're uncomfortable, I would certainly keep them separated when there's no humans around to supervise, and possibly even go back to the full separation and re-introduction. That does sometimes have to happen, and TCS even has an article on the topic.
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction - TheCatSite

Here's another TCS article on Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing? | TheCatSite that has pics and videos that show the difference between cats playing and fighting, that might be helpful.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charge swatting comes from stress. Its not the same as attacking to injure. Its more like a "get out of here!" kind of thing. So theoretically its possible to let things go and for the adult to get it out of their system. This would almost certainly work given that the adult is so young. However, I was recently reminded that my 7 year old has mild cauliflower ear from swat wounds taken as a kitten. Which is of no medical significance, but does illustrate that swatting is not completely nothing. And there likely is some very small chance of an eye wound. So the advice to backup and do more introduction is good. I don't know that its the only reasonable choice -- but I do feel a bit bad looking at Clyde's cauliflower ear.

Regardless of what you do, its almost certainly going to be fine before too long given that the stressed cat is under 2.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would stop letting them be together & stick to site swapping for a few more weeks. It sounds like your older cat is stressed so slow things down. When they are together again, supervise closely. Distract & separate if she starts to look stressed.

maybe try switching cat beds and cardboard scratchers in their room once a week. You can also try brushing her then the kitten, to try to get their communal scents to mingle faster.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Site swapping is so often overIooked. Did you do that? Put the resident cat in the kitten's room, and aIIow the kitten to roam at wiII, getting to know the entire rest of the home? The reason that it is so important is that both cats' scent gets mingIed everywhere, cutting down on the "this is mine" reaction.

But your resident cat is not showing any reaI aggression. Her ears fIicked back once, briefIy, then returned to forward immediateIy. This was more of a "who do you think you are?" than a "I want to reaIIy hurt you, and kiII isn't off the tabIe, here."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hohohobosanta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all for your advices. The new kitty has ringworm and coccidia so they have to isolate for the next month anyways so we're gonna have to do a slow introduction either way. Will try to update after he is cured.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks all for your advices. The new kitty has ringworm and coccidia so they have to isolate for the next month anyways so we're gonna have to do a slow introduction either way. Will try to update after he is cured.
Yes do let us know how recovery and re-intros go. Hopefully RC is doing well! Remember to watch for signs of ringworm on humans too. 😸

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, sorry to hear about the kittens heath issues. Hope he feels better soon, and that when restart the instructions that it goes well. Please keep us updated on things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hohohobosanta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, I can't believe it's almost been two months! To provide an update on how things are going:

Yoshi (the kitten) ended up having ringworm, URI, and coccidia which required us to isolate him completely for a few weeks. During this time we did the recommended slow introduction and Aria (resident cat) very slowly returned to her old self over the weeks and during that time didn't hiss at Yoshi unless he batted at her through the barrier. When it came time to playdates, it was easy to distract Yoshi with toys -because he's a fiend for play- and Aria preferred to intently watch him from a distance.

Fast forward to today and while they're definitely not friends, Aria no longer charge swats Yoshi and isn't wary of him until he starts tackling or play-punching at her. Yoshi has infinite energy even after playing an hour or more a day, always to the point of panting multiple times because he can't control himself. As such, when I'm not playing with him, he ends up bothering Aria to try to initiate play by grabbing her entire body to wrestle which she gets annoyed by because she has a very low play-drive and just likes sleeping and eating (even before he arrived she would play for 10 minutes a day at most). At this point in time, their relationship is good enough for me since I can't supervise them all the time. I'm just hoping that after he gets older he will chill out and things will resolve on their own or we reintroduce them then.

An additional kitten to get Yoshi's energy out is unfortunately not an option as my apartment is super tiny. But if anyone has any other advice on helping a lazy cat and a hyperactive kitten get along I'd greatly appreciate any tips!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad things are going well with them. There's not much you can do to settle Yoshi down other than wait for him to get a bit older. Just make sure there's always somewhere for Aria to go when she needs a break.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, I can't believe it's almost been two months! To provide an update on how things are going:

Yoshi (the kitten) ended up having ringworm, URI, and coccidia which required us to isolate him completely for a few weeks. During this time we did the recommended slow introduction and Aria (resident cat) very slowly returned to her old self over the weeks and during that time didn't hiss at Yoshi unless he batted at her through the barrier. When it came time to playdates, it was easy to distract Yoshi with toys -because he's a fiend for play- and Aria preferred to intently watch him from a distance.

Fast forward to today and while they're definitely not friends, Aria no longer charge swats Yoshi and isn't wary of him until he starts tackling or play-punching at her. Yoshi has infinite energy even after playing an hour or more a day, always to the point of panting multiple times because he can't control himself. As such, when I'm not playing with him, he ends up bothering Aria to try to initiate play by grabbing her entire body to wrestle which she gets annoyed by because she has a very low play-drive and just likes sleeping and eating (even before he arrived she would play for 10 minutes a day at most). At this point in time, their relationship is good enough for me since I can't supervise them all the time. I'm just hoping that after he gets older he will chill out and things will resolve on their own or we reintroduce them then.

An additional kitten to get Yoshi's energy out is unfortunately not an option as my apartment is super tiny. But if anyone has any other advice on helping a lazy cat and a hyperactive kitten get along I'd greatly appreciate any tips!

Those interactions that you filmed are adorable. I can't hear if she's hissing or growling during those but he's certainly playing. Her ear body language seems good during those play sessions.

I also just suggest time and making sure she has some chill time without him. As well, continuing to give some high reward treats alongside one another is great.

Two months can still be early days. Do try to keep up with her 10 minute play sessions while he's behind a closed door so that he can't interrupt.

If you do any dry food, consider giving it through enrichment items that push them to move.

dgirlpt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hi, just curious how are your kittens doing now?

:)