Resident Cat Antagonizing New Kitten-help!

had1992

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!
I am new to this site, but I have frequently visit it for helpful advice :) I accidentally originally posted this in Cat Health, and meant to post it here. I'm hoping that someone can help me out with my recent cat dilemma. I'm sorry this is a long post but i want to make sure i include as much details as possible!

My sister (who is my roommate) and I adopted a 3 year old domestic long hair cat named Squeak in October 2016, so we've had him a little over a year. The foster described him as sweet, curious, playful and good with cats/dogs. Squeak is extremely outgoing and playful, almost fearless. When we first brought him home (i live in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment, with lots of windows/space), Squeak would hide and pounce on us, nothing too concerning, normal behavior. But as time went on, Squeak's play aggression worsened and he would lunge at my sister and I seemingly unprovoked. He also would literally chew on my arm not enough to break the skin. He goes at our legs, the back of our head, and arms, and he bites hard enough to draw blood. I believe its due to the fact that my sister and I are gone at work from 8-6, leaving Squeak bored/unstimulated. We have every toy imaginable, a cat tree, multiple wands; so the issue isn't that his environment isn't stimulating.
After discussing at length, my sister and I decided that perhaps Squeak would benefit for having another cat around. So, last week we decided to adopt a 6 month old neutered male kitten named Dale. The foster described Dale similarly to Squeak (sweet, fun, curious) and said he loved to play as well.
We did the introduction process; (giving Dale a safe room with all resources, letting each other smell the door, swapping scents, cracking the door, baby gate) over the course of 4 days (I know, shorter than recommended, but given our schedules we thought we would be able to speed it up a bit). Through this process Squeak is super interested in Dale, Dale has been more hesitant with hissing/ growling but overall not totally opposed to Squeak's presence.

On Monday (2 days ago) my sister and I decided it was time to let them meet face to face with supervision. Both had been laying by the baby gate fine, playing with toys on opposite sides. Since we have let them meet, Squeak is pouncing on Dale, pinning him down and biting him while Dale meows/cries/hisses. We break it up each time it goes too far in this way. They both can be in the same room and lay near each other, but that doesn't last long, and Squeak goes back to stalking, pouncing and pinning Dale; Dale doesn't fight back, cries, and runs away from Squeak, with Squeak chasing him. We separate them when this happens, putting Dale back in his safe room. We also do not let them hang out during the day when we are at work, or at night when we are sleeping.

I just want to know if this is typical? Does this sound like Squeak is playing or does it sound like he is antagonizing Dale? Will it get better? Should I go back to a slower introduction? I feel so bad for the new kitten :( I don't want him to be constantly bullied.

Thanks for the help!!

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is he really hurting him? if not I would let it be. it's only been two days, and he is probably just trying to show him who is boss. if he is actually hurting him, i would start over.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Squeak is being a bully. Tell him NO very loudly and give him a 5 minute time out in the bathroom. Make sure the new little one is on your lap a lot or close by so you can intervene. Squeak definitely does not know his boundaries on playing. It is still very early in the relationship, so it should get better with the new one giving back as much as he is getting. if he comes back for more, all is well, if he hides it is too much for him. Get a kickeroo on Amazon, a long catnip filled toy that cats love and throw it to Squeak when he is stalking to distract him. As a last resort, hold Squeak down by the back of the neck and tell him NO loudly. This is physical, but is what mama cats do. Do not hold him hard, just enough to keep him still, and by the skin, not the neck itself. i hope everything goes well, your new one will gain confidence and play back in time, just don't let Squeak bully him right now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

had1992

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Squeak is being a bully. Tell him NO very loudly and give him a 5 minute time out in the bathroom. Make sure the new little one is on your lap a lot or close by so you can intervene. Squeak definitely does not know his boundaries on playing. It is still very early in the relationship, so it should get better with the new one giving back as much as he is getting. if he comes back for more, all is well, if he hides it is too much for him. Get a kickeroo on Amazon, a long catnip filled toy that cats love and throw it to Squeak when he is stalking to distract him. As a last resort, hold Squeak down by the back of the neck and tell him NO loudly. This is physical, but is what mama cats do. Do not hold him hard, just enough to keep him still, and by the skin, not the neck itself. i hope everything goes well, your new one will gain confidence and play back in time, just don't let Squeak bully him right now.
Thanks for the reply di and bob! I will take all of your suggestions into consideration, I really appreciate it :) it is super early in the relationship, and Dale is getting used to his new home, so I think with time/patience and the correct discipline towards Squeak it will get better. I'm hopeful at least. Thanks again!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

had1992

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is he really hurting him? if not I would let it be. it's only been two days, and he is probably just trying to show him who is boss. if he is actually hurting him, i would start over.
i believe so :/ not drawing blood, but poor Dale cries quite a bit and runs off to get away from Squeak

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like Squeak is delighted to have a new playmate. I don’t think he is trying to bully Dale, just play with him but Dale isn’t quite ready for that. I think that Dale will come around and begin to reciprocate the play, but in the meantime distract Squeak with play if gets too obsessed.