Rescues That Aren't Grooming

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I rescued 4 adults and 7 kittens recently. I don't think that the adults are grooming. Or they aren't doing it well. Two of the adults are long haired and I've never had them. Obviously they don't know me but are starting to trust in the last week. Of the two long haired cats one of them is male. He has some nasty mats and greasy fur.

I have a brush and have started to use it but the mats...I'm figuring that some of them will have to be cut out. There is no way I can bathe him, so suggestions for greasy fur?

Do you think he will start grooming himself after we get the mats dealt with?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Thank you for taking them in and caring for them! :catrub:
Can you please tell us a little bit more about these cats and how they were rescued? Pictures would be great too. Cats and even kittens should know how to take good care of their coat and if they're not I wonder if they may be sick. The two with longhair could be having issues even if they're healthy but the other two shouldn't.
I'll move this question to the cat rescue forum where most of our experienced rescuers hang out. I think you're more likely to get answers there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My company went to work on a house that was being remodeled. During the remodel the garage was left open and some cats with kittens moved in. We were told that the kittens (at that time 3 weeks and 2 weeks old) were going to be moved out to the woods as no one would claim any of the cats or wanted them.

So with help from a cat rescue I went and got everyone; equally 1 male, 2 nursing females, 1 pregnant female, 5-3 week olds.and 2-2 week olds. All the adults are underweight.

The male and one of the nursing mothers are long hair. The male's fur is greasy and has some large mats, everywhere. They have to be painful. I beleive they have ripped some of the fur out causing bald spots. I am working on getting the smaller mats out by brushing while building trust but thinking I'm going to have to get drastic soon.

If we get the mats out do you believe that he could start grooming himself again? And what can we do for his greasy fur?

I'll get good photos of him and post them today.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The male
IMG_1093.JPG

IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_1095.JPG

IMG_1096.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

The female (She doesn't have the mats that he does. Except around her nipples and we got those removed.)
IMG_1099.JPG

IMG_1100.JPG

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not grooming can be a sign of stress. From your description, these kitties have been through plenty of that. Once the mats are removed and things settled down, they will most likely begin grooming again. If you can get them used to being brushed, that would be a bonus.

When we moved here, one of our cats (Chester, the cart in my avatar) just stopped grooming. His coat was a mess. I brushed him as best I could but he's not fond of being touched. He finally started grooming again after almost a year. Took him that long to feel comfortable here.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not grooming can be a sign of stress. From your description, these kitties have been through plenty of that. Once the mats are removed and things settled down, they will most likely begin grooming again. If you can get them used to being brushed, that would be a bonus.

When we moved here, one of our cats (Chester, the cart in my avatar) just stopped grooming. His coat was a mess. I brushed him as best I could but he's not fond of being touched. He finally started grooming again after almost a year. Took him that long to feel comfortable here.
There have been a lot of changes for them in the last month. From the "owners" abandoning them, their food being closed away in the remodel, all the strangers with the remodel then I came in and rescued them. Which I'm sure they don't see that way. He has been much more accepting then we thought he would be, letting me pet and brush him. We thought he was going to be a barn cat but if he settles out a little more I could see him in a home as a pet (maybe no other pets or kids). He is a little jumpy about noises.

But those mats HAVE to be painful. You've given me thoughts though. Do you think I should get the mats sooner and risk the progress I've made or wait?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you see blood or weeping skin, I'd get them groomed as soon as possible. The mats pull their skin and can rip it open. Infection can set in then. Just keep an eye on them and take it a day at a time.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I just want to do right by them.