rescues and litter boxes

krisdenkers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We rescued a cat from a bunch of kids who were...lets say not being very nice. Took him to the vet, got him fixed, all his shots and he was cleared with a clean bill of health.

But he isn't using the litter box. We have other cats in the house, and he is the only one who doesn't use it. I know its getting a bit old, having to clean up all the time... I don't want to give him away(as he is all curled up in my lap as I type) but this behavior has to stop. I love him dearly, and he is such a great cat other then the issue with our litter box lol which mind you is new, and bigger then I have ever seen lol

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this???

Kris

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he was a stray and used to going to the toilet outdoors, he's probably confused by the unfamiliar options available to him in your home. Try starting out with an open tray rather than a covered box, and use sand (the type for kids' sandpits) in it instead of litter. Or you could try soil from outside. That way you'll be providing him with something similar to what he's used to. If he poos elsewhere, don't bin/flush it - put it in his tray so he knows that's the right place for it. Once he's started using that reliably you can start to mix in your normal litter a bit at a time. Or you could try cat attract litter.

You also need to clean any areas he's used as a toilet with an enzyme cleaner to break down the scent markers that are telling him to return there.

Hope it all works out for you, I am sure with a little patience you can get him litter trained