Rescued Thin and Anaemic Stray

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Holy Moses. Imagine spending 8 years on the street.
The worst part is that he didn't...he isn't feral.  SOMEONE had him and loved him, and then, for whatever reason, abandoned him to fend for himself.  Did they die, and there was no one to take him?  Get sick, same thing?  Move and just...leave him behind?  I'll live on the street in a cardboard box with my cat before I will abandon her.  I just don't get it.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The worst part is that he didn't...he isn't feral.  SOMEONE had him and loved him, and then, for whatever reason, abandoned him to fend for himself.  Did they die, and there was no one to take him?  Get sick, same thing?  Move and just...leave him behind?  I'll live on the street in a cardboard box with my cat before I will abandon her.  I just don't get it.
A cat doesn't need to be feral to be on the street. I fed a sweet kitty in our yard for 2 months this summer. When our local shelter took her for adoption turned out she was spayed already. Can only imagine her backstory.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A cat doesn't need to be feral to be on the street. I fed a sweet kitty in our yard for 2 months this summer. When our local shelter took her for adoption turned out she was spayed already. Can only imagine her backstory.
Those are the ones that just kill me.  They know what they had, and what they are missing.  They remember soft voices and gentle hands and good food and warm beds...but now those things are gone without them ever understanding what happened.  They break my heart.

Last edited:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those are the ones that just kill me.  They know what they had, and what they are missing.  They remember soft voices and gentle hands and good food and warm beds...but now those things are gone without them ever understanding what happened.  They break my heart.
Mine too. My sweet 2 year old Kandy was found in a parking lot on our street at about 1 year old. She had an umbilical hernia. You couldn't find an easier sweeter cat. Someone probably owned her & then when she was no longer a cute little kitten dumped her outside.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erings

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well it's been a while since I updated everyone on Harley.

So we have introduced him successfully to the other cats. Unfortunately his blood cell count wasn't increasing, so we increased the steroid he was on. It's been weeks since then, and he just isn't gaining weight and while he's interested in food, he doesn't eat much.

My parents took him to the vet earlier today to make a plan for him, and we discovered that he has renal failure.This explains why he just doesn't act like a cat.

It kills me that such a sweet boy is dying, and he is so young. Other than feeling like having a flu, Harley isn't suffering, so we're just going to love him and feed him whatever he wants until he tells us when he's ready to go.

Thank you everyone for your advice.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am heartbroken over this.  Poor little guy, and poor you, as well.  I am, however, uplifted that he will end his days warm, comfortable and so very loved.  Sometimes that's the best we can do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erings

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been too hearbroken to do a final update. Harley died on the friday after Thanksgiving. Unfortunately I was away for the holiday, but my dad was home. Harley died in his lap and was even lightly purring as he was going. When I returned we buried him in the garden, the same garden I saw him in.

I miss Harley so much, and wish there was more that we could have done for him but I am glad he is not suffering anymore.

But we are rescuing another cat who looks similar to Harley. This new cat happens to be FIV+ and we are glad to give him home while others would turn him away.

Thank you all for your wonderful advice and kind comments.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Harley knew he was loved after a tough life. That's all that matters. Keep us posted on your new kitty.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gently, Harley, dream you deep.

Bless you for making his last weeks so happy and comfortable, and for being willing to put your heart out there again with this new one!  Let us know how s/he progresses!  I'm ready to celebrate some good things with you now!  You're a part of us, and we care!