Rescued Pregnant Cat

lissi2u

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, first of all I want to thank this site for being so helpful and available to us cat lovers. I'm hoping to get a little insight regarding how cats look when they are pregnant to get an idea of how far along she may be. I work as a foster for a local rescue group helping to saving lives when possible. My friend asked me if I wanted to foster a pregnant mom and I thought it would be an amazing experience. I have two cats, both spayed very early on and I would not personally add to the growing pet population so was unable to share this amazing experience with my kids.  Her intake sheet stated her owners moved and left her behind and the vet marked her as pregnant. She was VERY thin and is now filled out much more. I've tried looking at picture to try to guess how far along she is but I'm at a loss. I think she's still has a way to go but she's been showing some signs that through my reading made it seem like she would deliver soon. She was very vocal for about 5 - 7 days, she's had some clear discharge, but no kittens. She's not starting to look like she swallowed an olive and her sides are starting to expand. Since my cats did not go into heat, I was not sure if the "talking" was that she was in heat and not pregnant. I did call the shelter and they stated the vet checks the cats prior to allowing them to be rescues so I believe she's pregnant but my sister in law thought she may be in heat. I called around and the cheapest office visit and xray I could find was $125 which I can not do right now. Anyone have any thoughts?? Thanks again. Lissi

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Discharge can appear up to about a week before labour. But it's generally only a few days before.

There can also be some discharge during heat cycles, along with the meowing they tend to present their bottom to anyone and anything, will roll about and rub up on things. 

Don't xray a pregnant cat, the US seems to be the only country that does that, pregnant cats don't need radiation. If anything get an ultrasound scan done. 

How do her nipples look? Normal nipples can hardly be seen or felt. With a pregnant cat when you run your hand down her tummy you'll feel distinct nipples poking out, towards the end they are about the size of a grain of rice. 

Last edited:

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is always a fair assumption that an adult female stray is either pregnant or nursing or both! Unless she shows signs of distress it does not seem to me that you need another vet check just to confirm it, certainly not an xray. There are many pictures of pregnant cats on this site that may help you compare, although like humans cats very a lot in how fat they get, and it also depends on how many kittens she may be carrying. Good luck, let us know how it is progressing.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I want to add they CAN be in heat  although pregnant.  You can see it for eample it  happens they  can  have two litters simultaneously.  So  it COULD be heat  although  she is pregnant.

Welcome to  our  Forums!

Good  luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lissi2u

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys thank you so much for the feedback!! I did not think an Xray was the best thing but they made it seem like common practice. She is such a sweetheart and honestly she may be staying permanently anyway provided she stops cornering my other cat who is a chicken to begin with. She has not hurt her but chases her and then watches her. All this information is so helpful and it means alot. I have two cats of my own and I've been helping my friend's rescue group with bottle feeding and temporary living space until they are 2 pounds and can be spayed and adopted. I had no idea that cats could technically have the heat cycle while present. Again thank you so much and I'll keep everyone posted!!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not think an Xray was the best thing but they made it seem like common practice. 
It seems common in the US, vets here only do scans on possibly pregnant cats.
I had no idea that cats could technically have the heat cycle while pregnant.
Usually very early on or towards the end is when they'll call, it's not exactly common but certainly not unheard of.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you feel any movement? If so, she's likely within two weeks of delivery. 

If not I would just let it be for a few more weeks. If still no kittens by then you may want to have a vet look her over and palpate her stomach. By that time they should at least be able to feel kittens and be sure she is pregnant and not just in heat. Does the rescue your working with not cover vet appointments? I would be really surprised if their vet wouldn't look over one of their fosters so be sure to ask them about that. She doesn't need an x-ray, most vets can tell by feel. 

Thank you for opening your home to fosters- I do it too and it's very addicting! The first one is the hardest because your just not sure what to look for but it does get easier. Poke around the site for good tips on making a kittening box, what to have in your birthing kit, and general labor and delivery information. And of course ask questions! 

Welcome to TCS! 

lissi2u

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! Still no kittens. I am not sure what to think. She has not gone through the howling again and is eating more but today she looks a little smaller.I am not s7re what to do. My hours are a little weird right now so I have not been able to get her to a vet. Any ideas???

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she looks smaller they've probably dropped down into position. in many cats it can make them appear not pregnant when that happens. 

lissi2u

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any idea how long before she may have them if that's what happened?

lissi2u

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Got it! Thanks again for all your feedback! I'll keep you guys posted.