Rescued nearly drowned kittens, need advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motorcurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need some advice, please. At the end of March or first of April, a neighborhood stray/semi-feral mom had three kittens at our neighbor's house. She moved them to a shelter on our porch on April 3. Within a day or so, she moved them again to the space under our deck. Momma has been coming to our front porch bowl and eating for several weeks before and after delivering. She usually runs when she sees us but comes right back to eat.

Late on Sunday night we had massive rain storms and flooding (I'm in Houston, TX). Over the sound of the wind and thunder, we could hear the kittens screaming...they were drowning in the water collecting under our deck. So my husband and I went out in the storm, tore up the decking and pulled the kittens out of several inches of water.  We got them cleaned up and dried off, and put them in a container with a heating pad and towels.  Meanwhile, momma cat came around looking for her babies. She actually walked into our house (lured by a food bowl) and we were able to herd her into the laundry room and put the kittens in with her.

Fast forward to today. Momma is still in the laundry room and is eating, drinking and using the litter box. She is nursing the kittens when they get close enough, but not really keeping them groomed. They all have crusty eyes, probably from the gunk that was in the water. We are doing our best to clean the kittens' eyes and behinds.  Momma hisses and growls at us when we go into the room to scoop the box, change food and water, and clean the kitten poop off the floor.

My laundry room is very small. I'm going to need to do laundry in a few days. I need advice on how to move momma cat with minimal trauma to her and us, so as not to terrify her and kittens with the sounds of the washer and dryer. I'd also like to give the room a thorough cleaning because the kittens are pooping everywhere except on the pee pads I've laid down. :)  I can relocate them all temporarily to a bathroom but I don't know how to go about catching momma without injury.

Also, I want to hold on to momma for a couple of weeks so I can get her spayed. This is at least her second litter. Kittens are 3-4 weeks old, eyes open (mostly), they are walking but wobbly, interested in eating canned food, and at least one of them is trying to eat kibble. Then I need to figure out what to do with the kittens.... I've already got five of my own.

Sorry for the very long story! Any advice on handling momma is greatly appreciated!

cattsunami

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If the kittens have been interacting with u a lot they will become comfortable with humans. When they get old enough for their momma to stop taking care of them then u can probably take them to a no-kill shelter such as the SPCA or other organizations. The kittens seem friendly enough to get adopted quickly. As for the momma... strays/semi-ferals usually don't like humans so u might want to just let her free after getting her spayed... i honestly don't have any suggestions for how to get near her in the first place... maybe luring her with food, catnip, cat treats, or other things cats like... i'm probably not the best source im not really an expert...

I'm so glad u saved them from drowning!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it possible to get a large cat where you could put Momma cat and the kittens.  Then you could move the cage temporarily and then move it back again. 

Momma definitely needs to be spayed.  That is the best thing you can do for her.  As for letting her go back outside, that may be best, but also it may be possible for her to be socialized.  I have socialized many.  It takes time and patience.  She may never be a lap kitty and may hide from strangers and loud noises, but she will be safe and loved inside her home.  The hissing she is doing now is because you are encroaching on her babies.  That is normal.  Yet, the kittens must have lots of human contact so they will be adoptable.  If you do the adoptions yourself, please be certain that the new owners have them spayed/neutered.  Taking them to a no kill shelter is also an option as long as they have room.  The shelters do the spay/neuter before the kittens are adopted. 

Thank you for caring for Momma cat and her babies. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have a towel over the cage / crate, so it seems alike a nice hidey hole.  Also some comfortable to lay on.  With a little luck she will perhaps go in there by herself. Have perhaps her kittens inside as the bait?

Or just collect the kittens in a basket, and carry them over, allowing momma follow after.  Talking soflty and encouragint to her. With a little luck she may do that.  Exactly as she did when she sought after her babies in the beginning...

Ok, re the continuation.  In some variations, you dont need to wait very long. Collect them when they are  5-6 weeks, and foster them fully on.  At this age they are easy to foster succesfully into nice home cats.  Later on its more difficult.

That is one of the few exceptions of the holy" absolute minimum 8w" rule.  the other exception is sheer emergencies and dire need to save what can be saved...

This solution demands of course there IS a foster home immediately ready (hopefully you), or adopting homes lined up; just a vet check up, an assesment,  and fetch them by the new families.

If neither, its of course better they are still with momma.

@motorcurl

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Feral born kittens seem to be especially prone to eye infections. Is there any way you could get the kittens checked over by a vet? They'll give you some eye drops or cream to treat their eyes with. If left untreated they can go blind.

If you don't have a spare room you can keep them all in the best place to house them all is a large crate. Mum is more likely to nurse and clean the kittens if they are close by. Are there any TNR groups or shelters that deal with feral cats in your area? You might be able to borrow a crate or a trap from them. They'll probably be able to advise you on where you can get the whole family spayed and neutered cheaply and how to go about homing the kittens too.

Are you able to give a home to the mother cat or any of the kittens yourself? Even if the mother cat is too feral to be a house cat if you can get her spayed and keep putting food out on the porch for her you'll be making her life so much better.

Keep handling the kittens daily, even if the mother cat complains. The more human interaction they get now the easier it will be to re-home them later.

motorcurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We managed to move momma and kittens to a bathroom, where they'll have more space to move around in. I have an appointment for the kittens on Monday morning to get their eyes checked out. Meanwhile, we are cleaning the goop out a couple of times a day.

I plan to get momma spayed as soon as feasible for her. She is still nursing the kittens, though they are interested in wet food. They poke around in the dry food bowl but I don't think they can manage that with their tiny little teeth. They are up and about and wrestling with each other, and seem happy and healthy except for the eyes.

I have a contact with an adoption group so I'll check there to see if they have anyone who can foster them.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In the meantime, you can offer them moistened kitten chow. They can usually manage that with their baby teeth. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

motorcurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: Kittens went to the vet today to get a general exam and have their eyes looked at. Vet says they are generally healthy. Fecal exam negative, but all three got a two part broad spectrum dewormer and antibiotic ointment for their eyes.

The male and one of the females will use the litter box if they are helped into it. I need to get one with lower sides. Male is quite interested in wet food and has poked around in the dry. Momma is still nursing them but doesn't seek them out or protect them. She is still growling and hissing if we get too close to her, but doesn't object to us handling the kittens.

So I will wait a couple more weeks and hopefully she will be weaning them, and get her spayed. Then she will likely go back outside where we keep food out for the neighborhood cats (unless the rescue group has someone who can tame her). I'm going to try and get the kittens into an adoption program that I've worked with in the past.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is all really good to hear! Thank you for taking them to the vet. And thank you for all you are doing to care for them. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can just cut down a cardboard box for the kittens' litter box.  Put a puppy pad in the bottom so urine doesn't leak through. If you don't have one line it with tin foil or plastic wrap and put a couple paper towels on top. Be sure to use non-clumping litter, dirt or sand.