Rescued Mommas, Kittens And Momma To Be

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I jumped in with both feet and little idea. I learned of a litter of kittens and some adults that were abandoned and going to be deposited in the woods. So with the help of a friend that runs a rescue, I rescued them. So...I have 7 kittens and multiple adults. (One of the adults is a male that went to get fixed today.)

First our momma to be. She is very pregnant. Started her with Royal Canin Babycat kibble (free feed) and supplement with wet Babycat a couple of times a day. Now to wait, expecting kittens by the weekend. We set her up in a dog crate condo (two x-large zip-tied together) with a cardboard box and old blanket. Is that enough for nesting? Or should I consider something else?

Next is the two mommas. We have a bob-tailed female with tits and a long-tailed female with tits. Both were observed at the abandoned location feeding and grooming the kittens. The bob-tail seems much younger than the long-tail and not as patient with the kittens (keeps getting up, more interested in exploring the environment). My friend with the rescue says their behavior in dual mothering is unusual. The long-tail is also a long hair. As we have settled them she is very skinny and under groomed. We started both these females on Royal Canin Babycat kibble (free feed) and will be supplementing with wet Babycat too. The long-tail momma never seems to be away from laying with the kittens. These mommas and the kittens were set up in a dog crate condo as well.

Finally the kittens, all 7 and all some form of gray!! They seem to be a different stages of development. 5 of them are up walking some, ears are perked up and 'playing'. The other 2 are less mobile, mostly laying and ears are folded a little. I picked up a digital scale today and have rough weights of 385-265 grams.

So the questions:
1. What can we do to help the long-tail momma? She needs some weight and maybe some rest.
2. Ideas on age of the kittens? So that I can start tracking their weights and knowing their milestones.
3. Could the two be runts or a later delivery by one of mommas and the litters melded?
4. How do I tell them apart to make sure that I am giving the correct weight to the right kitten? Can I fashion collars from ribbon, different color for each?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had a pregnant cat, so unfortunately I can't help you there. But I have experience with kittens. Taking an uneducated guess, the two with the folded ears sound like they would be around 10 days. Pictures would be helpful.
There must be something that distinguishes one kitten from another. ei. longer hair, white spot, etc..
This is a real good site to help you. How Old Is That Kitten? Kitten Progression: At-a-Glance
There are also good articles on this site that you may find useful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll get better photos tonight. The 2 in the front of the second photo are the different stage ones.
IMG_0949.JPG
IMG_0935.JPG
IMG_0938.JPG

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
S selenasong

Welcome! :wave3:

Feed the underweight mom as much wet food as she wants. Begin offering a dish of kitten formula (KMR) a day, preferably the powdered by PetAg mixed with clear pedialyte instead of water.

You can also offer her plain, boiled chicken with broth, cheese, and eggs scrambled or boiled.

I also suggest you get Nutrical paste, and give her about an inch a day for extra calories.

Co-mothering is not unusual for cats who are bonded.

It sounds like one cat had the slightly older kittens, and the other had the younger ones.

Pictures would be helpful.

As for telling them apart, you can put a bit of nail polish (different colors) on their tail tips.

The weights tell me they are 2-3 weeks old depending on a) their other development and b) if they are at the correct weight for their age. This is where pictures will help.

Thank you for rescuing them! They have a chance at a future now. :)

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking at the pictures I would guess around 3 weeks. They look very healthy, good weights. And you weren't kidding about not being able to tell the two greys apart. The two with the ears, maybe some American Curl influence. I'm not good with breeds, but they don't appear younger than the others.
Give mom(s) some KMR with their meals, they will need this for the calcium.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's possible the two in the front are a week younger than the ones in the back.

The one mom does look worn out, bless her heart.

I posted above as well. :)

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are speculating on a few things. One is that the long-tail might be bob-tail's mother. And now we have 3 generations. Though we will never know.

I bought a ready made can of KMR while at the pet store today. I will offer her that and work on the wet food. We will have to work around bob-tail. She seems to eat well. What about giving a bottle to the kittens if they will take it?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
S selenasong

The pre-mixed formula is gross, gives kittens diarrhea, and some cats will not drink it. Try to get powdered when you can.

With two lactating moms, the kittens should not need bottles, unless they are not gaining 6-10 grams each per day.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible the two in the front are a week younger than the ones in the back.
This is true. It's so hard to tell when they're not right next to each other.
I was looking at the right ear on the left kitten. Unless that's an optical illusion white spot, it looks like the ear curls back. The only cat I know that does this is the American Curl.
But it could be a spot. My eyes aren't as young as they used to be.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I'll weigh the kittens and get good photos this evening. I actually don't have more than one bottle of nail polish but I'll figure something out.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't recommend collars on kittens this young ever. It's too easy for them to get caught on something and suffer serious injuries.

Same with mama cats, because the kittens climb on mom and can get a paw caught.

You can use different color Sharpie pens if they'll show up on the gray kittens.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please be sure to keep the male away from all of the females until a month after his surgery. Otherwise, he may still be fertile.

Thank you for caring!

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So better photos and weights.

#1 (the lighter of our smaller 2), weight=303 grams

IMG_0954.JPG

#2 (the darker of our smaller 2), weight=275 grams
IMG_0958.JPG

# 3 (long tail, medium gray), weight=390 grams

IMG_0959.JPG

#4 (bob-tail, medium gray), weight=384 grams
IMG_0961.JPG

#5 (dark gray, long tail. Maybe long hair), weight=400 grams
IMG_0963.JPG

#6 (dark gray, bob-tail), weight=372 grams
IMG_0965.JPG

#7 (gray & brown), weight=349 grams
IMG_0967.JPG

IMG_0968.JPG

And to top off....pregnant mom is showing signs of labor. So probably more by morning.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please be sure to keep the male away from all of the females until a month after his surgery. Otherwise, he may still be fertile.

Thank you for caring!
He is staying in his own kennel. Plans are to put some weight on him and grooming then adopt out.

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they are only 3 weeks (which I think they are), those are excellent weights. It took me awhile because I had to find a converter. We had the metric system for what...2 hours in the US. I never learned it.
They are so adorable. You did a good thing rescuing them. #2 concerns me a bit though.

selenasong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are confirmed with fleas, ticks and intestinal worms. Friend with rescue is going to check with vet about who can have what to treat each of those. Testing for ringworm within next days because of bald spots on kittens tail tips.

DragonsNKitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bet bobtail mama had the first litter, with long-tailed mama following less than a week behind. It would explain the weight differences and why bobtails are only found in the bigger kittens.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yuck, but that is Oklahoma. I spent my summers on Grandma's cattle ranch in Tahlequah until I was 18. Never heard of a paralyzer tick until recently. Does Oklahoma have those? You might want to check for chiggers also.