Rescued Kittens - Newbie and need help

Bepau123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I rescued 3 kittens recently (about two weeks ago) and they look around 8-9 weeks currently. Two of them have progressed so well, they were completely feral and now they don’t hiss or growl and even purr when I pet them and pick them up. One has been a… struggle. I have two situations I need advice on.

Situation one: The last kitten. He is a very cute, tiny, tuxedo boy cat. He is the runt from what i can tell and is soooo spicy. Like EXTRA spicy. He is really hissy, growls, bites, scratches, and tends to run/hide when there are people. We pick him up he tenses, when he eats we can get close but if we move too fast he runs away. He has purred a couple times but still is very uncomfortable/scared around us. We have separated him yesterday from his brother so that we can have more one on one time and we saw that with his brothers he became more shy and it affected the other two how they viewed us. What else can we do? He is sooo mean and aggressive and we followed all the steps and it worked for the other two.

Situation Two: I have a cat that is 3kg and sooo small. I found her at two weeks and nursed her to health. She NEVER met another cat and my dogs were her moms because they slept with her all the time. Now she saw the kittens and has never hissed or growled at them but she just stares? No swishing tail or anything and she did try to play but not sure if she was playing or being aggressive. She tries to swat at them and runs at them but no claws or growls. How can I tell if they like her? One of them shows her his belly and lays on the floor with her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its really two different questions.

re 2. I think she wants to be pal, but doesnt know how to do it catwise...

Perhaps try to get them play together; you having a DaBird with them?? Or with her and the kitten / kittens whom seems willing to play with her...

Its also possible she wish to show some dominance behavior at them - its natural. She is resident, newcomers ought to come automatically lower in rang.

You can perhaps try with Feliway for the semiferale kitten, and the variation of Felifriend for her meetings with them??

Some thought, Im sure others will join in.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With super tiny kittens, maybe the "handle them till they get used to it" approach works. With older kittens though, its best to go at their own pace; do only what they like, and be patient with them. Just spend time around them, maybe engage a bit with treats and (if the cat is ok with it) gentle/cautious play with a toy. I call it the "courting model" because you pretend your courting a shy member of your preferred sex -- i.e. no touching they dont want, do what they like, bring gifts. You could also call it the patience model, because just spending time around them is incredibly helpful, even if your playing on your phone.

I dont have experience with super young kittens. But since you have one that is getting in the more customary range and handling hasn't worked, I feel confident saying that you should change your approach more to the courting model.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Re issue 1: Kitten lady's website and videos will be very helpful to you. Kitten Care - View All — Kitten Lady

Keeping him close to you to get used to your sounds is helpful. Such as keeping him in your office while you work and letting him be around you. I will also share with you Jun and Rachel's videos. They did a great job at desensitization with an adult cat. Take note of how Pichi has a safe room and Rachel works in there for a few days. Jun has to go more slowly with Pichi.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sit 2: It sounds to me as well like she doesn't know how but ia trying to learn to communicate. Narrate a lot to the cats about what the other cat is doing. Be patient and let them learn together if she isn't hurting them. If she loves you, she can show the kittens you are safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bepau123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its really two different questions.

re 2. I think she wants to be pal, but doesnt know how to do it catwise...

Perhaps try to get them play together; you having a DaBird with them?? Or with her and the kitten / kittens whom seems willing to play with her...

Its also possible she wish to show some dominance behavior at them - its natural. She is resident, newcomers ought to come automatically lower in rang.

You can perhaps try with Feliway for the semiferale kitten, and the variation of Felifriend for her meetings with them??

Some thought, Im sure others will join in.
I didn’t think of feliway, I have used it before with my cat for the vet so will definitely try that. THANK YOU! My cat is a bit dominant with the dogs, she tends to run the house XD but she plays with them a lot and is soooo like a brute with them because they are big dogs and she does not care.