Rescued kitten

Katttttt003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few days ago we found 2 kittens on the side of the road, we gave one away already. We are keeping one and I wanted to know if this little guy looks healthy. We will be taking him to the vet as soon as we can. His eyes look a bit swollen and he sneezes every now and then. Other than that he's very playful and milks on everything he can. I have no idea how old he could be, how do I know what to feed him? Also how do introduce a kitten to a cat? My other cat seems to really not like him at all. I know most kittens have worms, should I be worried about my other cats getting them, we are taking him to the vet in a day or two but I want to stay on the safe side.
20210706_050102.jpg
20210706_045953.jpg
20210706_000737.jpg

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing him!

He has brown/green eyes so I'm guessing he's more than six weeks old. Could you let us know how much he weighs or take a picture of him in your arms so we can judge his size a bit better? We'll be able to give you a better estimate of his age that way, but if you ask your vet to check his teeth they will be able to give you a more accurate age.

Please make sure you keep him separate from your cat until he's had blood and fecal tests and his vaccines. There are a lot worse things than fleas that he can pass on to another cat, so keep them apart and make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after handling him.

He will undoubtedly have fleas and worms if he's been outside. he looks like he has a cold too. Your vet can prescribe some medicine and eye cream for that.

Feed him a proper canned food designed for kittens under 12 months of age. There are lots of them to choose from, so just grab a selection of kitten food and see which he likes best. A bit of kitten kibble is OK too, but if you can get him eating canned right from the start it will be better for his health long term.

After he's been tested, treated for parasites and vaccinated you can slowly introduce him to your other cat. There are some tips for doing that below.

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katttttt003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing him!

He has brown/green eyes so I'm guessing he's more than six weeks old. Could you let us know how much he weighs or take a picture of him in your arms so we can judge his size a bit better? We'll be able to give you a better estimate of his age that way, but if you ask your vet to check his teeth they will be able to give you a more accurate age.

Please make sure you keep him separate from your cat until he's had blood and fecal tests and his vaccines. There are a lot worse things than fleas that he can pass on to another cat, so keep them apart and make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after handling him.

He will undoubtedly have fleas and worms if he's been outside. he looks like he has a cold too. Your vet can prescribe some medicine and eye cream for that.

Feed him a proper canned food designed for kittens under 12 months of age. There are lots of them to choose from, so just grab a selection of kitten food and see which he likes best. A bit of kitten kibble is OK too, but if you can get him eating canned right from the start it will be better for his health long term.

After he's been tested, treated for parasites and vaccinated you can slowly introduce him to your other cat. There are some tips for doing that below.

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles
I weighed him and he was 2.2 pounds, also thanks for all the info

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I weighed him and he was 2.2 pounds, also thanks for all the info
With this weigh, he is prob about 8 weeks, perhaps even 9.

Good you are letting your vet check him up and give / recommend suitable treatment.
Im sure he doesnt have anything serious, but he surely also have several minor problems needing attention, before you can let him be together with your resident...
So, a quarantine of sorts. You use the time to get him accustomed to you. :)

Last edited:

Katttttt003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wanted to say he is healthy other than having ear mites. He is at a good weight of 3 pounds and the vet said he was 10 weeks old! I'm very excited to watch him grow up and be a healthy kitty

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you follow up with the family with the sibling to ask them to take him to Vet and have him checked for ear mites too?

Last edited:

Katttttt003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cn you follow up with the family with the sibling to ask them to take him to Vet and have him checked for ear mites too?
I know for a fact they will be taking him to the vet since they already have other pets but yes I will inform them that he most likely has ear mites since the one we have does. We plan on staying in contact with them too so maybe one day they can see each other again