Rescued kitten suddenly started getting loose stool/diarrhea, what should i do?

YessssY

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We found three kittens (days old) 2 weeks ago but the two had already died, maybe due to cold as we found them in the middle of the night in front our house. So i've been bottle feeding the last remaining kitten and the little guy have grown a bit now.

He's been pooping normally since we first found him, like every day or two but today, i noticed his poop is very watery like diarrhea and he's pooped like 3x already. Although he's still drinking his milk as he usually does (6ml), im just worried something might happen to him.

We're from a third world country and we already have over 15 rescued cats so we're very tight with the budget right now so i was wondering if anybody know what i can do to stop his possible diarrhea?

PS: He's in a repurposed crate right now where we put in an incandescent bulb inside and covered it with screen and thin towel to dim the light and not damage his eyes.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The loose stool may be from parasites or intestinal bacterial infection. The cure would be metronidazole in a kitten dose. Are you able to get this medicine?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YessssY

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The loose stool may be from parasites or intestinal bacterial infection. The cure would be metronidazole in a kitten dose. Are you able to get this medicine?
Hi, Is this the one? (image from google but it's the exact brand and 15/mg/mL
flavet.jpg

We have this remaining one on our shelf that we didn't get to used for our little buddy who crossed the rainbow bridge.

I've been posting across other sites and i didn't get any response from anybody except here, from you. Thank you for your kindness, i really appreciate it!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you able to get raw goat milk? When my fosters were 3 weeks old, they got diarrhea. The vet wormed them but that didnt help so we switched to raw goat milk made using the "glop formula" that uses gelatin and raw egg yolk. plus Tailsprings kmr. I added about 1/4 capsule of S. Boulardii. I used coconut oil on their bottomes to prevent diaper rash. One little guy would get a sore rear very quickly so i had to use warm baking soda water to cleanse off the diarrhea and then gently pat dry and then add coconut oil.
To add egg yolk. I VERY gently rinse the yolk with cold water to make sure no raw egg white remains (the raw albumin is hard on kidneys).

YessssY

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aside from the Metro, I am curious what milk you are giving this kitten. I know some of the folks here can help to advise if another form of milk might be an option to see if that is part of the problem.
Hello again,

I've been feeding the little guy Cosi Pet's milk. This one: (Image from google but same milk)
image_2023-06-13_054002780.png

It's the only milk i feed him. I don't have a job right now, so i had to ask my sister if she could give me some and she's generous enough to hand me a couple since she got some more extra of it.

YessssY

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you able to get raw goat milk? When my fosters were 3 weeks old, they got diarrhea. The vet wormed them but that didnt help so we switched to raw goat milk made using the "glop formula" that uses gelatin and raw egg yolk. plus Tailsprings kmr. I added about 1/4 capsule of S. Boulardii. I used coconut oil on their bottomes to prevent diaper rash. One little guy would get a sore rear very quickly so i had to use warm baking soda water to cleanse off the diarrhea and then gently pat dry and then add coconut oil.
To add egg yolk. I VERY gently rinse the yolk with cold water to make sure no raw egg white remains (the raw albumin is hard on kidneys).
I dont think i can get raw goat milk right now as i'm currently have no work and only asking favors from my sisters..

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, that is the metronidazole. Since the kitten is only 2 weeks old, I suggest that you put just one drop into the syringe or bottle in the morning and again in the evening.

How much does your kitten weigh?

Y YessssY

YessssY

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, that is the metronidazole. Since the kitten is only 2 weeks old, I suggest that you put just one drop into the syringe or bottle in the morning and again in the evening.

How much does your kitten weigh?

Y YessssY
Hello,

How should i estimate the drop?
He's only 188grams right now (after pee and poo, and before feeding)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have a dropper? If so, squeeze just one drop from the dropper.

How much and how often are you feeding? The kitten is underweight and may need more food.

YessssY

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have a dropper? If so, squeeze just one drop from the dropper.

How much and how often are you feeding? The kitten is underweight and may need more food.
Hello, Sorry i don't have a dropper, only syringe.
I used to feed him 7-10ml and sometimes get to 12 every 2-3 hours but when he started having diarrhea, he wanna always wanna stop at 5 and i just tryna feed him more to at least 6ml or 7ml cause im afraid he might threw up.

YessssY

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ps: the tiniest syringe i have is for 1ml.

YessssY

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just feed him one, hopefully it'll help him. Thank you so much for your kindness, we really really appreciate. May you have a wonderful day, everyday!

YessssY

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just squeeze one drop out of the syringe into the formula.
Hello again,
He's already pooped like 4x since i gave him the metronidazole. Is it okay if add dextrose powder to his formula?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you using unflavored Pedialyte in the formula? The frequent diarrhea can cause electrolyte imbalances. Also, heat the formula to 98°-100° Farenheit (never heat directly in the microwave. Either heat on the stovetop, stirring constantly for a few seconds OR heat a cup of water in the microwave and put the bottle in that). To keep the bottle warm, I do use the microwave to heat a rice-or-cornmeal filled sock and wrap the bottle in that whenever I set the bottle down.
If getting commercially prepared Pedialyte is a problem, I use this homemade formula. I do not use tap water that is treated by a city water system unless it is filtered. I prefer clean, safe well water that is boiled then cooled OR quality bottled water. For the salt, I use pink/Himalayan salt instead of plain white table salt because white salt is pure sodium chloride; pink salt still contains potassium & other trace minerals.
Pedialtye

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How is the kitten doing now? I think a bit of dextrose powder would be okay if you cannot get unflavored pedialyte.

What color is the poop?

Y YessssY