Rescued kitten runs away when approached

lini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

Here requesting your expert advice. About 10 days ago we rescued a kitten who seemed to have fallen from where it was and was separated from the family. She was around 6 weeks and had never had human contact. Although hissy and scaredy at first, she's adapted well and seems to be enjoying life.

She's friendly and loves petting, but runs away when she's on the ground and is approached. This only happens when she's on the ground and someone walks towards her. It seems to me it might be the height difference, but I'm not sure how to work with her so that she relaxes and is confident that she's safe when in the situation. Your suggestions and expertise will be greatly appreciated.

Oh, forgot to mention she's deaf but that doesn't seem to be an issue.

We thank you for your help ❤

IMG_4858.jpeg

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Give her time. I had the same issue with a rescue feral kitten. Walk very very slowly, and try to entice her towards you with a toy. Don't bend to pet her, just let her get used to your presence up close. Even just walk past her, slowly, completely ignoring her. She will come around.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
L lini
Hi,
Lovely looking kitten🌸.
I had a kitten from the street, he would run and hide at first when he heard an unfamiliar noise. Usually, a small space, such as between the cabinet and fridge or under the couch.
I figured he learned that from his mother, how to hide.
With your kitten it may be cues taught from mother and also being deaf, she will not hear the approach only see.
I agree, try not to walk directly towards her and when passing try to ignore and not make eye contact, she will likely feel safer.
If you want to attract her, sit at a little distance and try to engage with a wand toy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles
The Deaf Cat – TheCatSite Articles

Believe me, she is making very rapid progress in befriending you. I agree that the only issue seems to be related to her deafness. She only sees you, so she is on guard since she cannot depend on her hearing to let her know that there is "danger" although she clearly does not consider you to be dangerous.

She is such a sweet little girl and clearly so happy to have a home. As I see it, the basic adjustment is only to deafness. If she were afraid of you, that pic could never have been taken.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the advice. I'll do as suggested and will give her more time to adjust. Happy to have found such a great community. ❤