Rescued during TNR but unsure if he's feral or has a chance to be adopted

AdrianaVV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Screenshot_20220223-103720~2.png
IMG_20220221_200003746.jpg

Hi everybody! I need help with this case please! I live in a ranch in Agua Dulce, CA and we have dozens of feral cats around here. They live at a neighbor's backyard and they are not fixed. They dissapear all the time because we have a lot of coyotes, bob cats and a few mountain lions around the area. I started doing TNR because I saw a female in heat and didn't want to have kittens out there among the other obvious reasons. While doing that, I trapped this beautiful big cat and he didn't behave like a feral. He didn't growl or spat or moved like crazy in the trap...he just laid there looking at me. I took him to the vet instead of the free spaying clinic because I didn't want him to go through more trauma. He was fixed and checked for everything. He is around 2-3 years old, a big boy that weighs 13lb, is in perfect health condition, negative for coronavirus, Felv and FIV. He is not completely feral but is definitely not used to humans. He hisses all the time and lets me touch him but doesn't seem to like it. If I pet him too much he swats at me but no claws out. I even thought he had been declawed because of that..but no. He stares at me while seated, doesn't run away and doesn't put his ears back or any other sign of real agression but is definetely not completely at ease with my presence. My problem is that I need to find him a home with someone with patience to socialize him nd keep him indoors. I can't do it because we are full already. I don't want to release him to be eaten by animals...but on the other hand I read that it´s cruel to move cats away from their community, and I'm thinking that maybe he would go back to his cat colony at the neighbor's yard now that he is fixed and stays there. I have him in a bathroom now so I'm sure he is bored and stressed! I also don't want to give him to someone who would have him as an outdoor cat because then what was the point of all this?
What would you do?
Adriana

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AdrianaVV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, he was entering other neighbor's yards and they said their dogs were going to kill him because he didn't run away from them! But he's desperate to go out! He talks to me and looks at the window and tries to open it :( . I really have absolutely no idea what to do.
Screenshot_20220303-122358~2.png

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site and thank you for helping all these cats! We have coyotes in my area as well and the fact that I have neutered male ferals and released them has not stopped them from wandering enough to be killed by coyotes. Dogs can be as big a threat, including pet dogs, as you say. This boy is either semi-feral, a classification which some say does not exist (and they may be right), or simply a cat born in a feral colony who has the potential to be a pet. I have rescued entire litters of feral kittens and often found that one or two will completely convert to pets while others remain very feral and continue for as long as they can as community cats.

It is understandable that he is getting upset about being confined to the bathroom. Not your fault as it is the only option for him while you try to sort this out. Can he have any access to another part of the house? Baby gates at the bathroom door or a wire rigging the door open a little so he can start to see out? Can you spend time sitting with him in the bathroom and letting him get used to your presence? Try treats to get him to come to you or a wand type toy to see if he will play. See if you can touch him with a soft toy on a stick, or even something like a washcloth attached to a pointer. See if you can determine his challenge line which is how far he will go with allowing contact. Of course, do this safely and don't put yourself in danger. Rose pruning gloves are good to have on hand.

https://resources.bestfriends.org/article/how-socialize-very-shy-or-fearful-cats
HOW TO TAME A SEMI-FERAL CAT
5 Ways to Help a Semi-Feral Cat Adjust to a Domestic Home - Modern Cat
6 Steps to Taming a Semi-Feral Cat

Glance over these articles; some parts will be repetitive. There are many more, including some videos, online.

It sounds to me as if you will probably have to make your own contacts to try to find someone who can help or take him. You can try local rescues, but they are usually not able to just take a cat from someone. However, they may have some leads for you.

AdrianaVV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!!! thanks a lot! that's super helpful : ) . Yes, I go and sit with him for hours and he talks and talks trying to convince me to let him out hahaha. He is super smart! he looks at me, then at the window and also tries to move the handle on the window! haha. He lets me touch him but when it's too much he swats at me. I just say no, and leave when he does that. But always no claws out! I bought some of those super thick gloves but haven't used them and so far so good without them.

I'm writing to all shelters around here, but as you know everybody is full and I also hate giving them more work instead of helping. The other issue is that he definitely doesn't run away from dogs, as my neighbors have said, so he would be killed eventually : ( . I think he is feral but maybe has some maine coon in him and those genes make him a little bit friendlier maybe? I saw last year a super maine coon looking male, so could have been his dad.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not call this a feral kitty. He seems like a lost or stray. That is what I call semi feral. They have to learn to be careful of humans outside and this is a protection for them. Perhaps he has been out for awhile and is just searching for a home. If he did not run from dogs, he may have known other dogs before. Give him time to adjust. Being inside and in a stable environment will make a huge difference. He may have to learn to trust again but it sounds like you are exactly what he needs right now. Please don’t let him out. The tray he has of dogs could be dangerous for him. I use lattice panels that are mounted over my inside doors to use to help socialize the kitties here. It has worked well for me. You saved a life! Thank you!

These are vinyl lattice panels that are cut to door size. They are mounted outside the door and on hinges which allows me to close the regular door if needed or just leave the lattice closed. A simple bungee cord and loop will hold the lattice closed. These cats love the lattice and did learn to push them open when they desired to come out if I left the lower cord unfastened. Small cats or kittens may get through the openings but larger cats cannot. Maybe this would help?
4B838F7B-6AFE-4578-AEAD-059CB7BA100A.jpeg
4FB8B2E2-4450-47BF-94EA-AB3992726F1D.jpeg
33BEBF81-A26D-4F17-98BC-8F1CFC0E4D61.jpeg
DFEEDF8C-B1B4-49CE-B63B-34E2B4177379.jpeg
42B58056-18FC-4D03-AC40-B509D8D16A70.jpeg
D02BD41E-6E71-4A0E-AD83-72EC6E22821D.jpeg

AdrianaVV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have never seen those doors!!! They are great! My problem is that one of the things my husband said was: OK with you doing TNR but "no more cats in this house". Yikesssss! We also have a cat that has breast cancer so we can't stress her right now : (.

I have been able to find homes for other cats but for this guy is a little bit more difficult because people are afraid of the word feral...and I agree with you. Octavio is like 50% feral haha.

Could I ask your opinion on this writing to try to find him a home?

"Octavio is looking for a home!
Grey and white domestic long hair male, 2-3 years old, FIV, FELV and coronavirus negative. All blood work looks great. Doesn't bite, doesn't growl, no real signs of aggression, but hisses a lot because he's scared. Doesn't like to be held or pet yet. Has never been exposed to humans that way, so he doesn't understand it. Swats at you if you pet him too long, but so far with no claws out. Talks a lot and with patience could be an amazing companion. It's super smart! He would have to be kept in one room in the beginning for at least a month because he would escape trying to go back to his outdoor cat colony. Doesn't understand danger from coyotes or dogs. Doesn't run away from them so it's extremely important that he stays indoors only. I would do a home check so it can't be adopted more than 2 hours away from LA."

AdrianaVV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Those link and pic you sent are the best! I'm going to read them carefully!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Read the links you got. They are very helpful. I think the letter explains well what he needs at first. I think he will calm some if you give him time and the letter may change? Not sure. Some cats prefer to come to you for pets but it seems he had human companions at some point. Did your vet check him for a microchip? If someone allowed him to roam, that was not a good idea in your area. He is definitely adoptable bu the right person. If he has some Maine Coon, that is very popular as they are great cats! Talker? Also desirable to some. Those lattice doors allowed me to blend kitties into the areas where I need them. They are easy to cut and put up! I am older and managed it myself. They are a great tool to have and easily removed later is you wish. I have brought in many dozens of complete ferals and socialized most for adoption and managed to juggle them as needed. At one point I had 44 at various stages of socialization and age. It took a bit of thinking but it did work out well. If you adopt him out, make sure you get a vet contact for him and make the person sign an adoption contract. If they refuse, you know they will not be the homes he needs.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Now that I have read more, I agree with Jcatbird Jcatbird that he is not feral. He is a talker, for one thing. Ferals remain completely silent as it is one of their defenses in the outside world. I mean, it is like they don't have vocal cords. Ferals who do domesticate later usually have a very funny little high pitched voice when they do talk, nothing like a real meow. He is also way too engaged with you. His lack of fear of dogs is another point. True ferals understand all predators which is the key to their sometimes long survival out of doors or in colonies.

What you wrote is good. There are adoption contracts online that you could use and you could also offer to take him back if it does not work out. You should ask for compensation for veterinary work that you have done. Don't do a free to a good home type ad. Get some money....$50 or $100 in order to discourage anyone who is not serious, anyone who can't afford a vet, anyone who just wants to try a cat to see if they want a pet, and bunchers.

I also agree that the ad may change in wording as you have him at your house for even a few days longer.

AdrianaVV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Read the links you got. They are very helpful. I think the letter explains well what he needs at first. I think he will calm some if you give him time and the letter may change? Not sure. Some cats prefer to come to you for pets but it seems he had human companions at some point. Did your vet check him for a microchip? If someone allowed him to roam, that was not a good idea in your area. He is definitely adoptable bu the right person. If he has some Maine Coon, that is very popular as they are great cats! Talker? Also desirable to some. Those lattice doors allowed me to blend kitties into the areas where I need them. They are easy to cut and put up! I am older and managed it myself. They are a great tool to have and easily removed later is you wish. I have brought in many dozens of complete ferals and socialized most for adoption and managed to juggle them as needed. At one point I had 44 at various stages of socialization and age. It took a bit of thinking but it did work out well. If you adopt him out, make sure you get a vet contact for him and make the person sign an adoption contract. If they refuse, you know they will not be the homes he needs.
Yes, I think you are right...maybe with time I can write: loves to be pet and groomed : ). But I also don't want people to return him or something worse if he hisses at them at some point. Yes, he was checked for a microchip and nothing...we just have too many ferals around here and they are all georgeus! I didn't think about contracts! I'm looking for one right now!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you need help with a contract, many here have experience. As stated above, a small price helps to be sure they want the kitty. No free cats! They need to be able to provide for a cat. A strict return policy is a must too. I know you don’t want him to be returned for swatting so be sure you know they understand him. Also, be sure they know that if anything changes they MUST return him to you. Sometimes people lose a job or get sick and you don’t want him dumped again. I would suggest that they visit him a few times before adopting so you know they bond with him and he has no fear of going with them. My best adoption stories are where I got to see an immediate love between a cat and human. It is not as rare as you might think. Even do, stick to the contract. It protects the kitty.

AdrianaVV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now that I have read more, I agree with Jcatbird Jcatbird that he is not feral. He is a talker, for one thing. Ferals remain completely silent as it is one of their defenses in the outside world. I mean, it is like they don't have vocal cords. Ferals who do domesticate later usually have a very funny little high pitched voice when they do talk, nothing like a real meow. He is also way too engaged with you. His lack of fear of dogs is another point. True ferals understand all predators which is the key to their sometimes long survival out of doors or in colonies.

What you wrote is good. There are adoption contracts online that you could use and you could also offer to take him back if it does not work out. You should ask for compensation for veterinary work that you have done. Don't do a free to a good home type ad. Get some money....$50 or $100 in order to discourage anyone who is not serious, anyone who can't afford a vet, anyone who just wants to try a cat to see if they want a pet, and bunchers.

I also agree that the ad may change in wording as you have him at your house for even a few days longer.
Oh yes I really wish I could keep him. We just had a talk for about 20 min! haha. But he is mostly complaining I think because he wants to go out. Could you guys see this video if you have 2 minutes? I would really appreciate your opinion. I'm not a cat expert. I compiled a very short video showing his whole story:

AdrianaVV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to add a part when he hisses, because he does it everytime I enter the bathroom, but I haven't had my phone on from the beginning.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
That is a really nice video! This is the shocking part, even after reading all your descriptions and picturing Octavio in my mind, he is much more domesticated than I expected. Given that I only ever own strays and former ferals, he is more sociable than one that I have had in my house for years, since kittenhood to be precise. He reminds me of the girl I was asked to rescue about 5 weeks ago from a nearby apartment complex because someone tried to kill her and she had to be gotten off the property. What we (the young man who had watched out for her and saved her and I) know is that while she has an ear tip and was previously fixed, she was more than likely an abandoned kitten who had memories of people caring for her. She has graduated from the bathroom now, although that is still her safe place, but is almost identical to Octavio in behavior. She now allows me to pick her up...probably the big difference. Octavio definitely has a past and it was with people. I have rescued other former pets who joined colonies in desperation looking for food.

As for contracts, these are a few samples. They are easy to find online and there may be others that you like more or can modify.

Adoption Contract

Cat Adoption Contract - Fill Out and Sign Printable PDF Template | signNow

https://www.pawworks.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Adoption-Contract-2019-1.pdf

AdrianaVV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is a really nice video! This is the shocking part, even after reading all your descriptions and picturing Octavio in my mind, he is much more domesticated than I expected. Given that I only ever own strays and former ferals, he is more sociable than one that I have had in my house for years, since kittenhood to be precise. He reminds me of the girl I was asked to rescue about 5 weeks ago from a nearby apartment complex because someone tried to kill her and she had to be gotten off the property. What we (the young man who had watched out for her and saved her and I) know is that while she has an ear tip and was previously fixed, she was more than likely an abandoned kitten who had memories of people caring for her. She has graduated from the bathroom now, although that is still her safe place, but is almost identical to Octavio in behavior. She now allows me to pick her up...probably the big difference. Octavio definitely has a past and it was with people. I have rescued other former pets who joined colonies in desperation looking for food.

As for contracts, these are a few samples. They are easy to find online and there may be others that you like more or can modify.

Adoption Contract

Cat Adoption Contract - Fill Out and Sign Printable PDF Template | signNow

https://www.pawworks.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Adoption-Contract-2019-1.pdf
I just want to cry because I wish I could keep him! Do you know of any "instant convincing pill" I can give to my husband? haha. The good news is that it means he would be a great family member to someone! Have you ever used Adopt-a-pet? I just posted him there but I'm not sure if it's a good place to do that. woww thank you so much for the contracts!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have not used it, but just looked at it and it seems to be a generic site used by many animal shelters. It seems to be similar to Petfinders or the like. The final decision of how to place him is yours, which is for the best, but it will get him out there so someone might see him. Since he is not entirely socialized, ask about the background/reasons that someone is interested in him as opposed to a cat who would be a ready made pet. He needs to be indoor only as well. If he is brought to someone's house and released, he will take off and that will be the end of him.

AdrianaVV

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have not used it, but just looked at it and it seems to be a generic site used by many animal shelters. It seems to be similar to Petfinders or the like. The final decision of how to place him is yours, which is for the best, but it will get him out there so someone might see him. Since he is not entirely socialized, ask about the background/reasons that someone is interested in him as opposed to a cat who would be a ready made pet. He needs to be indoor only as well. If he is brought to someone's house and released, he will take off and that will be the end of him.
That's my fear! I put that it has to be an experienced cat person. Oh my God...this is soooo difficult for me, but then I think that for sure there are a lot of good people looking to adopt and not all are going to let him go out and get lost again. It's easy to focus on the scary and bad outcomes. But then I think that I adopted from a website before and cats are as happy and well taken care of as they can possible be inside our house. : )