Rescued a shelter cat Tuesday

liltuffgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Went to the shelter looking for a playful cat to entertain me Siamese since I work 12 hour days and he always seemed bored. And he was actually happy to see the dogs come inside....
Found a sweet playful little girl who's around a year old and her fee was already payed. I never took her out of the cage until after all papers were signed. I was shocked when they gave me a spay voucher and said I had to get her spayed... She had been at the shelter for almost 6 weeks...
Once I got her out I noticed her nipples were large for such a very small cat. But heard that happens when they are in/going out of heat.

I got her home and thought oh lord her stomach makes her look pregnant... She is very small framed and there isn't much to her. But her sides of just her stomach closer to her hind quarters sticks out a decent bit.

Today we go to the vet for her "pre sugary screening". I don't tell my vet anything other than I just got her from the shelter ( he was surprised she wasn't already fixed too) he looks at her and says "well her stomach has me thinking she's pregnant". I said yeeaaa I thought that too. He was feeling around and said he's never been good at feeling for babies. He said he can feel a round object which very well could be a kitten but small possibility just something else that's suppose to be there lol
He said she's in that grey area. He can't say she isn't but can't say she is. But said she has a distended belly.
I thought she was slowly losing size from the sides but looking at her she's just starting to sag a bit.

I can't tell if she acts any differently since I literally just got her. She's loving and slightly vocal.

BUT she's still playful. She rarely walks anywhere she always runs. And she'd be around 6 weeks.

I can't abort them or it.. If there is any in there.. Just doesn't sit right with me.
He said I could just wait a month (if it's ok with the shelter which I'm sure they'll say ok) and if she hasn't given birth then she's not pregnant (strictly inside and other cat it fixed). I'm just nervous that if she is pregnant she'll have them when I'm working and my male cat may freak out (although he's afraid of her right now lol he's a huge huge brat too. Comical though)

[emoji]128533[/emoji] so if she was pregnant would she still be running around at this point? She's either sleeping, grooming herself, or running to the place she wants to be lol

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is that a picture of your new girl?  She is very pretty.

When Angelina strayed up to the house in 2003, she had a rounded abdomen.  I took her to the vet a day or two later, and he (very experienced) said he thought that he felt two kittens.  Then a week or two later, I took her back in for something else, and the vet, looking puzzled, said he could only feel one kitten. WTH?

Then the following week, she went into heat, which drove DH, myself, and our neutered male, Ginger, nuts enough that he jumped to the top of the headboard of our antique Eastlake bed (6 feet tall) to get away from her.  Then the vet said, he had never seen anything like it; he could feel no kittens at all!!!

Once Angelina got over the heat, I got her in and had her fixed.  I had some regrets, as I would have welcomed her children, especially now ten years later when she was killed by the neighbor's pit-bull.

I like to call the two kittens I adopted shortly after her death as 'Angelina's God-children'.  She led us to them, and they are proving to be very sweet and loving.

This is an epistle I know, but I hope it helps a little.

Good wishes with your new girl 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

liltuffgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So do you think it'll be a waist of money to see if another vet can feel any babies?

And yup that's her! My boy is much larger than her but apparently he doesn't see that.. He's scared but interested.
This is my boy Bentley.
Lol as you can tell he's full of himself!! He's very mischievous!!!

Today they actually got close together but now instead of Bentley growling at her she started low growling at him. Before she would look for him and want to be near him.

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
By all means take her in to another vet for a second opinion--if you can afford it.  I stayed with my own vet because he was so experienced.  But these things happen.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah, the vet is surely friendly, but a vet who isnt good at palpation doesnt sounds reliable for me.   Alternative, he may be good at other things, but he is no obstretrictian at all..

So whichever way, you need to see another vet.   

Good luck!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally if you can not handle having her spayed right now I would not tell the shelter as legally they usually remain the owner and can take the cat back at any time/any reason.  Just make sure you have enough money in case things do go wrong(they usually go ok!) I really would not put much into the vet saying he is not good at feeling babies as most are not IME.  They normally do not see pregnant cats unless they deal with a breeder.  If cat is healthy and alert(which she is from what you say and the vet exam) I would take a wait and see and save the money for kitten care/toys.

I would hold off introductions as pregnant cats can (understandably) be nasty at times and you would want to wait till after babies are born and older to have otehr pets around.

Far as her running around that is normal.  I have seen cats stay quite active unless they are pretty far along or larger litter.  Some handle it better then others!

liltuffgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I asked around and every vet around here says just get an altrasound or just wait. So I guess I'll wait.
She for sure eats double what my male eats!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ultrasound isnt not a bad idea. Its certainly cheaper than x-ray too, and no health risks.   

liltuffgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her belly is getting bigger!! (It's really hard to take a good pic of a belly lol she moved and ruined it) It looks like the fur around some of her nipples are wet. But she's not slowing down. She sounded like a damn tornado going through the house last night when I was trying to sleep lol

I have a box with a towel in it in a closet for her. Not sure what else to set up. Don't want to put too much money into it since it's still not 100% (I never believe anything till it happens).

I'm thinking if she has them I'll get a bigger tub and cut a part where she can step in but kittens can't get out.

I'll never know when she's having them. She meows so much as is.

Last edited:

liltuffgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my little shelter kitty's belly keeps getting a little bigger. I keep telling her just to have the freakin kittens already but she won't listen. :(
She was in the shelter for almost 6 weeks and tomorrow marks week 2 that she's been with me.
Sadly I can't rule out her getting pregnant at the shelter. She was in a cage alone when I saw her but who knows? I'd say it's very unlikely. But she could have gotten this way the day she was picked up too.

Or maybe she's just like one of those humans that only get fat in the belly? Lol

But I'm nervous about where she'll have them if she ever freakin does. Not to mention my other cat and her are finally friends and playing!! But I don't want him around when she gives birth. Granted I'm sure he'll be insanely freaked out and run but I'm still worried.

What do I watch for? The two weeks I've had her she's already needy.. Meows a lot.. Wants to be on top of me or carried around like a kid lol
Maybe if she stops wanting to play?

I'm going to look for another bed for her today. One that kittens can't get out of.

This process sucks. Lol wish she could tell me what's up.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Have you ever felt kittens moving inside her?
You certainly could have one x-ray taken as this will show if there are kittens or not. A single x-ray will not be of any harm to her or potential kittens.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Also, since she could be 8+ weeks along, you need to confine her to one room. This way, if she does have kittens, you have a general idea of where they are (though with her sweet demeanor, I doubt she tries to really hide them from you.)

ciawearshats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I totally understand your impatience! I'm in the same boat, anxiously waiting for my cat to give birth. I know since you haven't had her long you might not know her regular habits, but if you do notice she stops eating or eats a lot less that's a sign she's within a day or two. If her nipples start leaking that's a big sign too, but some cats don't show either of these.
At eight weeks mine acted like she was in heat, especially around my boy (who isn't neutered for two more days yet and had to be kept separate from her). Watch for discharge, as that can be a sign she's going into labour.
Is she nesting yet? Mine started at seven weeks but some cats don't at all.
As she goes into labour, her breathing rate will increase. She'll also likely meow a lot, and not her usual "pet me/feed me" meow. She'll poke around looking for a place to give birth out of the way, probably dark and quiet. Definitely confine her to one area so you can find her and the kittens.

Read all the articles you can on cat labour and pregnancy and try to be patient! :) I know it's hard but you can't rush nature. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

liltuffgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a box in the closet but that's also where their food is. I'll move things around. I rather have a bigger container with more bedding in it.
I'll take the food and water out of there too and just leave the door slightly open. (Yes sadly I have a bedroom just for the cats)

Her fur around two of her nipples were a bit wet a few days ago but nothing now. So maybe she was just grooming?

She me owe every freakin morning at 10am. (Sucks when I work nights lol) this morning she woke me up at 1am meowing like crazy again.

I'd love it if this meowing thing is just a pregnancy thing!! Lol

I'd feel bad separating them :( they're just now getting along.

I haven't felt babies but I haven't been feeling she doesn't like her belly touched. Even brushing her she squirms away.
When she was laying on me it looked like her belly moved but I know when you're looking for something you're mind will see it.
If you can't tell I'm a very scepticle person lol

Her and her little belly

liltuffgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok just got this for her. Should I cut a little notch in it for her to get in easier but no kittens can get out or will it be ok? (Yes they rather be on top of it considering I literally just got home with it)
I got more towels too. I think I officially have more towels for cat beds than for myself but oh well...

liltuffgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I set it up and put it in the closet annndddd my male cat jumps right in it and lays down. :shakes head:

There are 3 other places set up for her. If she starts acting pregnant I'll lock him out of the room (there is still food water and a litter box down stairs)

She likes it too

Last edited:

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If she doesn't have her kittens sometime this week you should consider taking her to the vet. If she isn't pregnant she may be in pain and have some internal problems (from what you say about her not liking her belly touched could be a sign of that). She looks comfortable in her new little box! 

Continue to keep us posted 

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understand your feeling! I had a pregnant cat before too, we make a place for her in the closet and she took care of everything after she start to labor, I know it's something that make you nervous but don't worry cats are prepare for it and she won't need much help delivering the babies and is not going to be messy either ^^

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of shelters can't afford to spay/neuter before adoption :/. Animal care is not exactly a priority in many parts of the country.

She might not be pregnant. I once took in a "pregnant" stray, waited a few weeks, no change, so I took her to the vet. He said he couldn't feel anything, wait a few more weeks, so I did, no kittens, so I had her spayed. She still has quite a tummy. So it's possible she's just round.

Their nipples usually get big and darker pink around the 3rd week of pregnancy, and you can usually feel kittens moving the last 2 weeks. Other than looking for that, all you can do is wait.

liltuffgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I held her last night and put my hand on her belly. It feels like very slight movement while she's still.
Just looked at her nipples (they've been big since I've had her these past two weeks) and there are white "scab" like things on the tips.

Yet she's still running around and playing. They even managed to rip up a napkin in millions of pieces.... How cute.....

Our county is pretty big and they just changed over to being no kill. So it doesn't surprise me too much that they didn't spay now that I think about things.

Vet told me she's healthy and gave the ok for spay whenever I'm ready. He said he thinks he felt a baby but couldn't be 100% he said it could also be her blatter since they'd be the same size. She has grown since then though.
She has two more weeks then I make the appointment for her spay.