Rescued A feral family of 3. Mom and 2 kittens

MeowmeowMa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have rescued a feral mom and 2 kittens lately from a filthy dirty area next to a dumpster. 2 kittens are about 2+ months and doing ok playing, eating and human socializing.
However, momma feral cat is still hiding in the box everytime I enter her room to feed her (she’s kept separate by herself). If I caught her laying on the shelf, she would lay there flat down her head and quietly stare at me. There’re time she hide under a cover sheet and I’ve tried to pet her on top of the sheet and she still lay quietly underneath. I just wonder if it’s possible for her to get socialized so she can be adopted? As I wouldn’t have a heart to see her living in such condition she used to live before…
(Noted: Momma cat was trapped in order to rescue her)

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!
She needs time and patience. She is working so very hard to learn about the new surroundings, with all the sounds and smells inside and outside her area and even outside your home.

You might consider playing David Teie's Music For Cats, or Spotify and other sources have harp music for cats, but otherwise I wouldn't do too much yet. She may be a very shy cat but on the other hand you don't want to run the risk that she becomes too frightened and lashes out.

She actually looks pretty relaxed in the photo which I realize might be completely wrong about how she's feeling at that moment, but she certainly is lovely.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have rescued a feral mom and 2 kittens lately from a filthy dirty area next to a dumpster. 2 kittens are about 2+ months and doing ok playing, eating and human socializing.
However, momma feral cat is still hiding in the box everytime I enter her room to feed her (she’s kept separate by herself). If I caught her laying on the shelf, she would lay there flat down her head and quietly stare at me. There’re time she hide under a cover sheet and I’ve tried to pet her on top of the sheet and she still lay quietly underneath. I just wonder if it’s possible for her to get socialized so she can be adopted? As I wouldn’t have a heart to see her living in such condition she used to live before…
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

Thank you for rescuing Momma cat and her kittens! :clapcat:

Yea, just as what Furballsmom Furballsmom mentioned, new surroundings, new sounds and new smells.

Give her some loving tender time to get over the transition in getting used to the house/room and most importantly getting used to you. You may want to to leave some of your clean, unwashed, non perfumed garments and place it in and around the box she's in and room. This way is to get her familiarized with you scents and cats go by scents.

Visit her more frequently and always announce your arrival by calling her name out ins a sweet loving voice and once you are in in the room, pause awhile and slow eye blink with her. Don't just walk straight up to her. Also you may want to get on your knees so that you don't look so big and intimidating to her.

Love, routine and patience rules the day.

Last edited:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes! It is totally reasonable to work to socialize this kitty! Please don’t return her to a bad place. There are methods to socialize and I have done it many times with cats of all ages. They go at their own pace so please be patient and give her time to adjust to a whole new world. Rescues become the most devoted friends for life. Right now she is just sizing up the situation. Give her time, love and care. She will begin to understand that you will not harm her and she will respond.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
(Noted: Momma cat was trapped in order to rescue her)
She is a beauty!!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
My feral; Roberto Clemente Valente, goes through stages where I can pat him, clean his deformed ear from a fight, he only has one eye, the right is gone probably from the fight. I wish he knew he can always trust me!!💞💖 Daniela Elizabeth is the same way.here is now a kitten who looks so much like my Celeste that I think they are related but she is fearful as well💖💞

RTR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It took me 18 months before a female feral kitten stopped biting and scratching me. The vet said she was about 5 weeks old when I found her. I left her alone after trying for 6 months to make friends. An older woman told me to just feed her, clean her box, and pay no attention to her. One day she jumped up on my lap as I watched TV and fell asleep there. For 13 years we have been on a friendly basis. She does let me know if she doesn't want to be handled, by growling, or swiping me with no claws. Then I know it's her time. Cats decide when and where. She taught me cats are NOT little dogs. HA!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We have a pet boarding place, and we took on the job of taming a feral cat so she could move indoors. (They had indoor cats and no real way to separate them long term). She was here for 8 or 9 months. The owner was one of the coolest people I've ever met. Very cat smart and was here every single day, sometimes for 2-3 hours at a time with her. She eventually got a little more curious and we let her interact with our male cat. She absolutely loved him. Soon, she was comfortable with all the cats, the owner, and us at work and he took her home to see how she would do. About a year later I ran into him at a pet shop and asked how she was, and he said she was like a new cat. A complete love bug, demanding to be pet, and SO happy.
If she'll accept petting without protest I would do this but very gently. Talk to her in a soothing relaxed voice. If she's a good eater, make sure she sees you preparing the food and setting it down for her. She'll come around. It can be done but it takes some time. I think it is so, so cool that you took her AND her babies in and saved them from probable death on the streets. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeowmeowMa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You've gotten interesting and differing thoughts :) you'll have to see what she wants you to do :lovecat3:
She’s still hiding when i come into the room. But when i’m not around she seems very relax and play with the catnip toy. One time she hided under the sheet, covered her head but had her butt out, i could manage to pet her back and she just lay there didn’t hiss or move. I’m not sure if this is a sign of improvement in our relationship… as she could hate me before because I trapped her in the trap (it’s been 2 weeks)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Having no idea what her situation was before you took her in, she may have never been around humans or was treated poorly by them.
I fiercely doubt she "hates you" or blames you or even really associates you with her new life. I don't think they necessarily think that way. I think 2 weeks in and she's playing is a great sign. She's still unsure of people, which is fine for now. Give her a few more weeks.
The room she's in...does she hear things like TV's, vacuum cleaners, people talking, dishes being washed, etc.? If so, that's great! If not, you could maybe move a radio or something in there so she gets used to the sounds of people talking if you haven't already done so.

Wild kittens come around very fast, but adults take a lot longer. Please don't be discouraged and please don't think she hates you or resents you in any way. It's a huge change and it sounds like she's getting past the first stage in sussing out her new environment and will be ready to tackle stage 2--you--in her time. :) Thank you for loving her!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is wonderful news! Are you showing her her babies? If you took her babies, she initially saw you as a predator who kidnapped her children. If the babies are socialized, you could play with the kittens in her room. When mama kitty sees that her babies are okay and enjoy your attention, she might relax faster. Thank you for rescuing her!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay! I knew you could do it! Try rubbing some good catnip on your shoes if you can get some. I use that trick a lot with ferals or scared kitties. It may take a few tries but it has worked wonders for me. The kitties often rub on my shoes or pants leg and the next thing I know they are looking up at me for a rub from me.