Rescued 3 week old kitten- tips on how to care for

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigger13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The first vet gave me 2 cans of wet kitten food, you can't get it in a store, after that I got merrick purrfect bistro, was gonna get blue wilderness (what I feed my cats and the strays) but employee said it can sometimes be too much for kittens, rich she said, but Bear got diareah before he finished the vets food so I don't think switching started the diareah. Right now I put a little Merrick down and the chicken and rice with pedialyte. I know you can't change foods quickly so I'm a bit hesitate to do the pumkin and things suggested at this point...should I stick to what I'm giving until he becomes more stable? I have pedialyte in the chicken and rice to help get it in him, and in the water bowl and he is drinking it down from both. Can the pedialyte be overdone? Should I stop that once the diareah stops or cut back at all now?
I started the albon this morning and so far he has not pooped as often as he was, only 3 times from 10am to now..8pm, still the same consistency, a little more brown than yellow but one looked less watery. He seems a bit perkier now than he did yesterday and this morning too. Maybe it's started to work, I hope so, I was very worried this morning, thought I was gonna loose him.
I really appreciate all the help given here, please keep'em coming. This little guy means the world to me! [emoji]128546[/emoji]

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would continue with exactly as you are doing, and not change a thing right now! He is already showing signs of improvement. I'm so glad the diarrhea is better already!

The amount of pedialyte you are giving is just fine. The fact he is drinking it well is wonderful. Often, we struggle to get enough pedialyte into sick cats, so he is doing well. I would continue the pedialyte until he finishes the albon.

Keep us posted on his progress! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The first vet gave me 2 cans of wet kitten food, you can't get it in a store, after that I got merrick purrfect bistro, was gonna get blue wilderness (what I feed my cats and the strays) but employee said it can sometimes be too much for kittens, rich she said, but Bear got diareah before he finished the vets food so I don't think switching started the diareah. Right now I put a little Merrick down and the chicken and rice with pedialyte. I know you can't change foods quickly so I'm a bit hesitate to do the pumkin and things suggested at this point...should I stick to what I'm giving until he becomes more stable? I have pedialyte in the chicken and rice to help get it in him, and in the water bowl and he is drinking it down from both. Can the pedialyte be overdone? Should I stop that once the diareah stops or cut back at all now?
I started the albon this morning and so far he has not pooped as often as he was, only 3 times from 10am to now..8pm, still the same consistency, a little more brown than yellow but one looked less watery. He seems a bit perkier now than he did yesterday and this morning too. Maybe it's started to work, I hope so, I was very worried this morning, thought I was gonna loose him.
I really appreciate all the help given here, please keep'em coming. This little guy means the world to me! [emoji]128546[/emoji]
Continue as long he has diarrhea.  He needs the loss of electrolytes and salts recompensated.   Exactly what sort of pedialyte do you use?  Which of receipts I suggested in my sheet?

When the diarrhea is totally over, you can cut down stepwise. 

Iam thinking on what happens with a healthy human whom drinks lotsa of minerale water the whole time, although its not especially hot.   Nothing much, but having extra much salts inside, he will probably be more thirsty, and hopefully drink some plain water or tea as extra water intake... In total, he will add and carry a couple / several of pounds being mostly water weigh.

So in the long run, its not very good to overdo with extra salts, but nothing drastic happens.  And its a wonderful help when having big diarrhea problems.

Home made basic pedialyte  is THE main rescuer against the great ManSlaughter, kolera.  From 80% mortality down to 10%.

tigger13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just used the unflavored pedialyte from the store.
Wow, pedialyte had that much of an impact on kolera??

catluvr321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe you should first take the kitten to a local animal shelter. They could help you.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I just used the unflavored pedialyte from the store.
Wow, pedialyte had that much of an impact on kolera??
Yes, so even a basic pedialyte with common kitchen salt is a life savior in such cases.  It was thought even a basic village sick bay could manage making of enough much much of this pedialyte. So its no fancy ingredients.

Although a slightly more elaborated pedialyte  with more  of different salts - alike the so called minerale kitchen salt, or what is in many bottles of minerale water, is even better.

But I suspect a bought pedialyte should be good enough, and contains these extra salts.   Well done!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
tigger13 tigger13

You can freeze the pedialyte in ice cube trays too, then thaw it on an as-needed basis. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

How's the little guy this morning?

Last edited:

tigger13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, he had 1 promising looking stool on my last post but went downhill fast from there. Bright yellow and very watery.He was eating like crazy but it was going right thru him mins after eating so he wasn't getting any nutrients at all. Since I didn't seem to get much help from any of the vets, I'm still in disbelief about that, I called a local feline rescue group and rushed him,over to them and I'm glad I did, he most likely would have died. The albon they said takes about 7-10 days to work, he didn't have that long. They were pretty sure he had gardia (sp?) from his yellow and foul smelling stools, which I had told both vets about, and maybe coccidia, they are running tests but they immediately gave him a paste that shelters use but vets don't that stop the diareah very quickly. Used on horses They said. They also explained the difference between shelter medicine and vet medicine and why the vets didn't use this paste, unbelievable!
Anyway, he's doing great now! Stools are now brown and have structure and he's more alert and playful As a kitten should be. Also the royal canin food the ER vet gave me they said was too rich for him at his age, body weight and condition. I just visited him today and he looks great!! Definitely learned a lot from everyone here and the rescue group. He even has a lil pot belly now, he's finally putting on some weight! I'm just so glad he's gonna be ok, that's all I wanted.you all probably can't tell from the pic but his face is even a little fuller now. The lady who runs the rescue group herself is taking care of him closely and he has plenty of friends there to play with. Thank you everyone for all your help. Words can't describe my gratitude.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
tigger13 tigger13

They gave him Ponazuril. It quickly kills coccidia, which is really nasty. It is for horses, and is used off-label for cats, in much smaller doses, of course. Some vets use it, many more do not. It is the best drug for coccidia, and also treats giardia. I should have mentioned it to you.

Thanks to your quick thinking, your little guy will be okay now.

Will you be taking him home?

Last edited: