Rescue pets and changing their names.

cabelle1863

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So far we've always changed the names of the cats we've adopted. Meow had no other name before we bought him from the pet store almost 14 years ago. I think Midnight & Bailey must have had other names from their foster family before we adopted them but I can't remember what they were. Our recent adoptions, Fae and Penny (short for Penelope), were previously named Buffy & Pamela. We're not into the name Buffy at all, and Penny seemed much more like a Penny than a Pamela. We're still working on teaching them their new names.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't change my cats' names. They're silly names, but they're the ones they answer to now...

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my rb cat daisy was called tinker by the previous owners and because they had basically left her to die (6 weeks alone in a flat until the landlord broke in) i wanted to erase her past. she responded to daisy extremely quickly especially if said in a high voice!

janet was named sandy when i got him. we changed it to kenji which he never really acknowledged. when we started calling him janet he would look up every time. he was such an eccentric kitty, it suited him so well!

milo and shinobi we named. having said that they both have nicknames that they respond too aswell.

okiron

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kayden was about 4 months old when I got him. He was Corn Dog but I wasn't going to keep that. Sassy was 3 months when I got her and she was Spot. Had no problems with either of them with their name changes.

I'm planning on adopting an older cat from my rescue in a couple months (if he's still there) but I do plan on keeping his name though only because I already associate him with his name.

My rescue rats kept their names because I couldn't think of anything better and I already associated them with their names.

My rabbits got a name change too. New name for a new life

tobi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We kept Memphis' name because he knew it so well. He was only 12 weeks, but you just had to whisper Memphis and he was on your lap. So we thought we'd just ruin that if we changed it.

Lily was Freyer and I just didn't like it personally. She learnt Lily so quickly though - it took her a few days and now she responds to Lily, Lily-girl, Lil-lil, gorgeous girl!
Usually Lily-girl though. I have no idea why either, just pops out of my mouth.

So, I think if they're not fussed with their name either, change it. But if they know and love their name, then leave it =]

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Smidge was a nameless rescue when she was brought to the shelter.
The name they gave her - Orphan Annie - didnt see to fit her.
Smidge didnt either, but she was so tiny that was her nick - and she answered to it in three days. She told me that was the name she chose, so I stuck by it

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New life, new name... unless they actually respond to it. Hennessy (Rollins) didn't... he answered to 'Kitty' only. Before Rollins he was Smokey... so yeah, didn't figure he'd mind.

He's getting used to 'Hennessy'... but he still mostly answers to Kitty.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
when i got chloe her name was Ma Belle, which was a really good name considering the lady i got her from had a lovely french accent. however, coming out of my small town rural oklahoma mouth it was HIDEOUS. so she became chloe (she should be grateful, she almost became cornflake lol)
as for patchy, she was named "splash" by the ppl @ the shelter and my mom and i debated for several days as what to name her. i actually cant even remember what we decided on but she didnt like it. about a week after i got her, i was looking for some patches to fix a hole in my work pants. i was yelling and griping that i couldnt find my damn patches and here she came. she ran up to me and yowled so hard her tail shimmied and looked like a bottle brush. so i asked her if her name was patches and she yowled again. i went into the other room and yelled patches and she came running. so i didnt name her, she told me her name.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only one of our animals kept their origional name and that was Jasmine. I thought her name was soo beautiful and just suited her- so i kept it

Fosters was origionally Noah. They named him Noah at the shelter because he was found wandering on a street called Noah Lane. I actually think Noah would have been cute to keep, but Colin wanted to change it to a more Australian sounding name, so he named him Fosters after the Australian beer
It fits him though- he took right to his new name. (now if i can only convience Colin Australian Shepherds are actually from America, we'll be doing good
)

Whiskey was origionally named Digger. I HATED that name- so i changed it to Whiskey when we adopted him to kind of go along with the "alcohol" theme Colin started
(that and his color looks like light colored Whiskey)

Velvet was origionally Topsy when i adopted her- but she was only a few weeks old at the time,so changing it wasn't an issue. I named her after the song "Black Velvet"- it was playing on the radio the day i adopted her

Kojak i had since he was a newborn. I originally called him Kolar....but my family members teased me for naming him that and said it sounded like the bathroom fixture "kohlar" so i let Colin rename him with a similar sounding name- and he named him Kojak after the lolli pop dectective from the 70's

Isabella I named myself when she was a baby foster kitten