Rescue People - Do you check references?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine is getting a cat, she has just moved out of her parents place and none of them have ever had animals.

She hasn't always been the most reliable person, so when she first mentioned getting a cat, I tried to talk her out of it, she was rarely home etc

But life has changed a lot for her, and she has changed so when she said she fell in love with a cat at a local rescue, and asked if I would be one of her references, I said yes.

Their app clearly states that you must have a vet, even if you do not currently have any pets, and two references. Well she just called me to see if I could take the rest of the day off and come and see her cat, she only emailed the application a few hours ago and they approved her without checking with me, my vet (who she is going to use) or her boss, who was her other reference.

Why bother asking if you are not going to look into them? I mean I would trust volunteers/previous adopters who came back for a sibling etc without a reference check but if you are going to ask, use the info or don't bother asking

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my friend and I went to adopt Turtle we endured an 8-page application and 3 reference checks., had to have proof of a vet a phone call to the landlord. We were pleased that they were so thorough.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know of several humane societies who do that - request references yet do not call them. They do it because they feel they at least deter some people who wouldn't even want to put forth the effort to list refs to get the pet.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I know of several humane societies who do that - request references yet do not call them. They do it because they feel they at least deter some people who wouldn't even want to put forth the effort to list refs to get the pet.
I can easily see how a person who wasn't serious about adoption could get frustrated and say, "Forget it!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This wasn't the longest app, maybe 1.5 pages (it was 2 but just over half the page was office use or info about them)

She did however take a harder to adopt cat (he is 5 y/o and has no teeth left and she wants to call him GummyBear), he was an owner surrender and didn't even have a name, they just called him 'the cat'

killerapple

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

That makes sense.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That's what quite a few of the rescues here do, although they do check if there's anything questionable about the application. When I'm doing an adoption myself, though, even if the app comes through the rescue, I check vet and/or personal references and sometimes do home visits.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The shelter I foster for doesn't bother to check usually unless there is something obviously questionable.
I wish I had a say in who could adopt those who adopt my fosters but I do my best to screen them pretty well and deter them if I don't think they're appropriate.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our shelter asks for a vet reference but not personal references, how often would you write down someone who says no don't give them an animal? But we are always flexible if they have no vet because they have no pets.

But this one specifically says you need to find a vet before adopting, and since I had only just spoken to my vet about getting an appt for her, so the vet could say she was a client, she didnt even have that at the time she adopted.

But OH he is cute, I went straight from the office so didn't have my camera, but he is a sweetheart, a little scared but I coaxed him out from under the bed and he let me snuggle him

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a two page application form that is pretty extensive. I call references and previous vets, plus I visit the home before even considering the person for the adoption. I tell anyone who calls, "Even though I bring some cats, doesn't mean I will leave one." There have been more times than I care to remember that even after "approving" the application in my head, I have not left the cat with the perspective adopter

doctorprilicla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted Galen from a siamese rescue and they were indeed serious business. I filled out a three-page form, and they did contact my references, because one of my friends whom I listed said that they contacted her. The local SPCA also contacts references and checks out with housemates and apartment complex if pets are allowed.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I per a suggestion from a member here have a adoption form with vets name and other pets so I can check that... IMHO asking for personal references may put off many, it did me as I did not have 3 people for references at the time...

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

This wasn't the longest app, maybe 1.5 pages (it was 2 but just over half the page was office use or info about them)

She did however take a harder to adopt cat (he is 5 y/o and has no teeth left and she wants to call him GummyBear), he was an owner surrender and didn't even have a name, they just called him 'the cat'
I am so thrilled that your friend was able to give this poor loveless kitty a forever home!

Is his name Bear, now?

With you as her friend to guide her in times of any trouble, I send vibes to them that their relationship will thrive and they will be everything to each other for many years.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, she is still calling him Gummy Bear, hopefully that changes to just Bear over time.

He is getting more social, he wasn't hiding when I spoke to her last night, but wasn't near her either. She is getting discouraged by a first cat who doesn't love her instantly
As much as he needed a home, I would not usually let a special cat go to a first time pet owner

The shelter said he was bonded with another cat he came in with who had already went home so he may just be missing him too, I may take Quincy over with me for a play date, see if he needs a buddy

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Normally I would agree with you that a first time cat owner should not try a special needs cat.

However, for some reason this case feels different to me.

This kitty was desperate for a home to be loved in. Your friend has you to guide her and help her learn how to care for (Gummy) Bear. (I hope it goes to just Bear too).

You can offer support and advice, as can the rest of this forum, via you posting, or your friend joining.

I hope she is open to your advice. You can remind her as needed that gaining Bear's love and trust will be a real challenge, but well worth it in the end.

I don't think bringing your cat over there is a good idea.

Bear has already lost one kitty friend. It would be terrible if he liked Quincy, and then had Quincy taken away from him. Too much loss, to much change, all at once.

In my opinion it is best to let him adjust to his new surroundings, new person, new everything, for the time being.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the shelter I adopted Mazy from called the veterinary clinic I was using at the time, and my landlord. The application form was two double sides sheets long and one section asked character type questions such as "what will you do if your cat gets on the furniture", do you intend to let this cat roam free outside, "what will you do if this cat doesn't get along with other family pets", are you planning to declaw.....

These are open ended questions but I know this shelter may turn people down if they say yes to free roaming, and definitely will turn down an affirmative declaw answer.