Rescue kitten - ragdoll / siamese? colour development?

stevie_rae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Just adopted a new kitten from a rescue organisation. He was surrendered as a ragdoll and/or siamese cross according to the rescue organisation.

Just wondering what you guys think? I am not familiar with either of these breeds.

I am also wondering what your best guesses are for colour development over time? His colour looks very different based on whether the camera flash is on or not!

Flash on:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is surely a mix.  Point, sure.  But rather dark already to be a point.   How old is he?   Im wondering if the shiny blue eyes, may they be the kitten blueness, or its point-siamese blueness...

He is apparently a classical tabby - the M on the forehead isnt cleaerly visible, but he has the bulls eye.

Tabbies point tend often to be darker, as they tend to be tabby colored over big parts over the body.

BUT if he continues to darken up already as young cat, and perhaps get less of the blue eyes, he may be another case:   a mix of siamese point and burmanese point.

I mean, seal (black) points of siamese type do darken up with time, but it will be apparent first when they are several years old.   While these with burmanese point mixed in do darken up already as kittens, before they are one year.

So,   domestic lynx seal [errata- sepia or possibly mink] point, shorthair,   if the tail is bushy call him for mediumhair.   [his tail may be seen on the pic nr 1, its not bushy]

Last edited:

dcollins45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would call him mink or sepia depending on how dark he gets as he ages, with sepia being the darker of the two. They usually have aqua eyes rather than the typical blue of other pointed cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stevie_rae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your input! Does that mean ragdoll somewhere in the line? or can that be from tabby mix?

dcollins45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've seen it in ragdolls, but I would think his fur would be longer if he was a ragdoll mix. I've also seen it in balinese and tonkinese. I don't know whether they ever come in tabby (lynx point). He could he's a mix with one of those.

stevie_rae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Interesting thanks. I wonder if his eyes will change colour - i don't think it is the 'baby blue' eyes as i think they would have started to change by now. Will be interesting to see what he looks like when he's older! I think he is very pretty already haha

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pointed cats always have blue eyes---it's a form of albinism. So he'll always have blue eyes, although the shade may change. He's gorgeous! Pointed cats do tend to get darker with age, and if he's this dark at this age he'll probably be very dark as an adult. Being pointed means that he does have at least a little Siamese in his background, but it's impossible to know how many generations back. It doesn't indicate any recent purebred ancestors.

stevie_rae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys! his previous owners contacted me (they surrendered due to having a dog who wasn't taking well to him) and they let me know his mother is a Siamese cross and his dad is a purebred rag doll. Interesting! I'm surprised he doesn't have longer hair

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

So,   domestic lynx seal point, shorthair,   if the tail is bushy call him for mediumhair.
Errata, I was writing very quickly in the morning.  He leaves a darkish impression, but he isnt really seal=black.  As somebody mentioned, he is sooner a mink or some other dark, but not black, nuance.

But the analysis and comments as such stands, I think, unless there was more written since then.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi guys! his previous owners contacted me (they surrendered due to having a dog who wasn't taking well to him) and they let me know his mother is a Siamese cross and his dad is a purebred rag doll. Interesting! I'm surprised he doesn't have longer hair
ah, the genetics for longhair is very similiar to the genetics for points.  Thus, BOTH parents must be carriers of the longhair gene.  Ie the longhaired cat has the gene doubled up, one from both parents.  Otherwise the cat will be shorhair on the outside.

If just one parent is longhair, the ragdoll, and the siamese cross not (may be a carrier, but is not doubled up) - the kitten will be shorthair.    Although he  is a carrier.

So, the Ancestors were really very near! Cool!   But as Willowy said, they could have been 50 generations back too, essentially.   Among the purebred russian blue there happens now and then pointed kittens look alikes of old type siamese - because they used some blue pointed siameses 60 years ago, but had not used points in active breeding since 50 years.

And yet they do happen...     A marvel of the nature, and a nice illustration of basic genetics.