rescue kitten eye problem?

armejy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Over the past 4 days I've rescued 4 kittens whose mom passed away. The mom was feral so the kittens were outside in the bushes before I got them. One of them has his one eye shut and there's goo coming out of it. I carefully cleaned the soft goo with a warm q tip, but didn't try to open the eye or remove the hard goo. The first photo is before cleaning. What can I do to help the poor kitty's eye?
IMG-20230112-WA0022.jpeg
IMG-20230112-WA0025.jpeg

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The poor kitten might need a vet asap.
Conditions like this can threaten the eye and lead to having the eye removed.
I have rescued a few kittens like yours in the past, and two of them lost their eye, and two others of them still have their eye slightly affected, even after a few years.
I'm sure all of them would be better if I had found and rescued them earlier.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is good for you to keep wiping away the 'gunk' from this kitten's eye but be careful using a Q-tip so as not to accidentally poke its eye. Better with a clean, sterile soft cloth moistened with warm water. Since it is more than likely an infection, the only true way to successfully treat it is to take it to a vet to have it looked at. Odds are it will need antibiotics, and perhaps some eye drops as well. It might even be some debris in the eye that can be flushed out at the vets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

armejy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is good for you to keep wiping away the 'gunk' from this kitten's eye but be careful using a Q-tip so as not to accidentally poke its eye. Better with a clean, sterile soft cloth moistened with warm water. Since it is more than likely an infection, the only true way to successfully treat it is to take it to a vet to have it looked at. Odds are it will need antibiotics, and perhaps some eye drops as well. It might even be some debris in the eye that can be flushed out at the vets.
She opened her eye on her own, it looked bright and clear. I cleaned away the extra gunk with a warm piece of cotton. These kittens are quite young so I wonder if this one's eyes were fully open when the mom died. I'm going to keep a close eye on her

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just keep it clean with a warm wet rag. Terramycin ointment is what is given by vets, you can get it online anywhere pet meds are sold, even Walmart and Amazon. Gently pull down on lower lid and apply a thin ribbon in the pouch that is formed as you pull down. As long as the eye is clear, she will be OK.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

armejy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just keep it clean with a warm wet rag. Terramycin ointment is what is given by vets, you can get it online anywhere pet meds are sold, even Walmart and Amazon. Gently pull down on lower lid and apply a thin ribbon in the pouch that is formed as you pull down. As long as the eye is clear, she will be OK.
Thank you! We already have terramycin because we have farm animals so I will use that