Rescue cat.. wakes up crying and often cries in her sleep

shazzacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had cats all my life, but recently adopted a wee puddycat from the Rspca, she has settled in remarkably well considering she was very nervous at first. However I have noticed she cries in her sleep and often wakes up crying like a baby, she calms and down and easily comforted when I am there, but I do worry how often this happens when I am not around :( .. hate to think she is upset with no one to comfort her 

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have had cats all my life, but recently adopted a wee puddycat from the Rspca, she has settled in remarkably well considering she was very nervous at first. However I have noticed she cries in her sleep and often wakes up crying like a baby, she calms and down and easily comforted when I am there, but I do worry how often this happens when I am not around :( .. hate to think she is upset with no one to comfort her 
Oh bless her. I think it would break my heart to hear her cry in her sleep. What terrible dreams she must be having. 

Don't worry. Cats are resilient creatures. what this one needs is consistency. If you are consistent she will learn that there is nothing to be afraid of. That may take longer than you like, but be patient. Police the house for anything that might shock or frighten her. Keep the noise level down and the movements slow. Keep your voice slow, calm and reassuring, and your petting gentle. She just needs to learn that she is safe. I have no doubt you will make this happen

G

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shazzacat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Gareth. Aww she is so sweet and does seem calm in the day time around all sorts of activity, this is only when she sleeps and wakes. She gets on very well with my older cat which is a huge blessing. She always wants to be with me when I am home, just like a baby. She gets lots of hugs and strokes.

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like Sinbad. He used to have nightmares every night, and would wake up crying and lost, so scared from his dreams that he couldn't find his way around the house. Over time his nightmares have become less and less common. Now he pretty much only has them after something has really scared him.