Rescue cat peeing a lot but not drinking water?

toebeans214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Was found meowing on the streets very skinny with fleas 2 days ago. Got it checked at the vet yesterday through a rescue, was negative for ringworm and given Revolution to treat fleas. He's done two high volume pees with a little foam, then a small volume pee this morning after we bathed him and had his first relatively normal bowel movement.

We have been feeding him wet food, he will not touch any water so not sure if he has no thirst drive as I know cats usually get most of their water from their food but it still concerns me.

He's been listed for adoption through the rescue, but in case there is no home for him and I have to keep him would like to make sure there is no issue with him like kidneys/urinary

Any advice or thoughts appreciated please, other than adding water to his food I don't know what else I should look out for or if this is normal

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It may be fine, given that many cats do very little water drinking if they are eating wet food. But, this cat really should have blood work done and a urinalysis, as those two tests would be the best way to determine the status of his overall health, including his kidneys.

You can also check to see if he is dehydrated by using your thumb and first two fingers to gently pull up some skin to make a tent shape between the shoulder blades, then let go and watch how fast it rebounds to its normal position. It should do so within a second. A dehydrated cat's skin will not rebound as quickly as a well-hydrated cat's.

Some cats like to drink from a slow running or dripping water faucet, and you can try to adding some ice cubes to his water dish too. Also, if you have bottled water you could try to see if he might like that better than tap water.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, if blood work was not done as part of the check up, then it should be done. Otherwise there is no way of knowing whether or not he has a clean bill of health. That being said, many cats who are fed wet food do NOT drink water, they get enough in the wet food. Mine are fed wet with water added in, and for many years they never touched their water bowls. Now that they are elderly, they have started drinking a little bit, but I have started feeding them some freeze dried treats, so I'm thinking that's the cause. Their blood work is still coming in aok.

One more note, peeing foam can be a sign of protein in the urine, which can be a sign of other health issues. I would check with the rescue and see just how thorough a check-up he got. If not much, advise them of what's going on so they can do a more thorough exam.