Rescue cat is aggressive towards other males. Will he always reject other adult males?

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My rescued feral/stray cat, who turned out to be a great indoor only cat (well behaved, respectful, playful, etc), is incapable of seeing other males at my door. 

He would escape if not very careful when coming outside (through your legs) and would chase away any other male strays I was feeding at the moment, of which I have 3 who come every day. 

There is one female that he knows from when he was a stray and were seen together walking and whatnot, with whom he gets along. 

His reaction of knowing there is another male close is hyperventilating, yelling loudly and deep, hissing at me for trying to move him back, walking on egg shells, etc.. I know he gets stressed, but what can I do, stop feeding the other poor strays who need a hand because he stresses? 

I would like to save one of these cats who is the sweetest thing, but is FIV+, but I don't think I would be able to avoid a fight between the 2 and I don't think is fair to my cat to put him in danger of infection.

If there was a sure way to make my indoor cat accept another male, then I will be relieved and could happily bring the FIV cat in to help him with anything he needs for the rest of his feline life. :( 

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long have you had him? How long have these outside males been coming around? They are already fixed, correct?

Does your inside guy play? Can you distract him with play while the outside cats eat? Can you feed him by the door while the outside cats are eating outside? We always try to associate other cats with good stuff like food and play.

Your inside guy is probably feeling insecure. He found a great home and doesn't want to lose what he has.

Basically I would act like I am doing an introduction but rather with everyone inhouse one will be in and a few outside.

Try working on getting him to accept the outside cats and then figure out where to go from there.

I have inside cats and also take care of a feral colony outside but my inside cats accept the outside ferals so I don't have any direct experience with this situation. But I am thinking the above might be a good way to start and see how it goes.

We can see what works and what doesn't and adjust if possible.

Hopefully others can also offer some ideas.

Thank you for saving your cat and for taking care of your ferals. You are terrific. Good luck. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ahah! So that darling tummy exposed pic is with your cat on the other side of the door, this is a great start!

Tummy exposure is a cats way of telling the other guy that he is submissive and has no intention of trying to take over his turf!

I highly recommend taking this very slowly, it is not going to happen in just a few days, and allow them to move to the next step by their actions and reactions.

I suggest this video from Jackson Galaxy 

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2014/07/08/cat-mojo-how-to-introduce-two-cats/

It's real and very helpful and informative!

Also, I bet you're right about being sibs, however they won't know this at all.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Ahah! So that darling tummy exposed pic is with your cat on the other side of the door, this is a great start!

Tummy exposure is a cats way of telling the other guy that he is submissive and has no intention of trying to take over his turf!

I highly recommend taking this very slowly, it is not going to happen in just a few days, and allow them to move to the next step by their actions and reactions.

I suggest this video from Jackson Galaxy 

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2014/07/08/cat-mojo-how-to-introduce-two-cats/

It's real and very helpful and informative!

Also, I bet you're right about being sibs, however they won't know this at all.
Thanks for the link.!!

Thing is Crusty is sweet and tolerates other cats (from what I have seen so far in the open), but mine is the problem. He WILL attack him and Crusty will HAVE to defend himself and may bite deep. That is my fear, a reaction from my cat provoking him. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Right, but we don't want any fighting, which is why slowly is key here.

Baby steps, wait for adjustings, another baby step.

It's the only way when one or both are aggressive types.

Many times your guy will have seen the body language that Crusty puts out for him, it will eventually sink in.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What beautiful cats!!

I agree with catwoman707, take it very slowly. Don't rush the process. Very slow. I love that you are giving treats, getting them to associate the other cat with something good. It is probably a touch too early for them to see each other. Try to play with your cat with Crusty or the other cats outside. Again, associating something good (play) with the other cat's scent around. After play feed right by the door again with the scent near. Take it slow. Think of it as the introduction process with the separation the door to the outside. I probably wouldn't do the love for each at the same time yet, it might be a touch risky at this point. but giving your inside cat love with the other cat on the other side of the door would be good.  The key is to get your inside cat as comfortable as possible with Crusty via scent first and eventually sight and in person. Take it slow. There will be steps back and that is normal but taking it slow will hopefully help mitigate the negatives. Really use play and food and love with you inside cat as he is probably the key to getting them potentially together at some point. The more secure and confident he is the more accepting he will be.

Thank you so much for caring for these cats. Please feel free to ask anything, anytime. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, this looks like it's going better. Since my cat is always by the door I decided to put his bed by it. 

It turns out that he is comfy sleeping in it and ok with Crusty sleeping or hanging a few feet away. 

This was yesterday. 

Today gave them food at the same distance you see here with the door open as well. Just a bit, not for any head to get through and always ready to close it and my cat within reach. 

I plan on keeping this flow for at least a full week, not to rush anything more. :) This is looking good!!!! 

thanks for the support!!!! :) 

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is very good. But please take it slow. There will be ups and downs but the more he associates Crusty with good stuff the more possible it can happen. The stakes are very high so just take it slow. Personally I would be thinking multiple weeks at least 6-8 weeks rather than a week or two. Especially since the health risk. Sometimes cats know they can't access the other one so are better behaved than when they have the opportunity for access. This is tough stuff but you are doing a great job. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.