Rescue Cat In Basement

Cindylu207

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found two stray cats that were starving and matted. I took them to the vet, bought them a heated house and now they are fat and their coats are shiny! They stay in my finished basement (I have two other cats and a dog upstairs) and one likes to go out for a few hours a day, but the other doesn't want to leave the basement at all. There is no sunlight down there. Is this okay? Is it unhealthy for her to go without sun and fresh air? She knows what to do when I offer to let them out but isn't interested. Thanks!

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would just let her proceed at her own pace. She'll come out when she decides she's safe and feels ready to.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby! She's most likely afraid she won't get back in. Don't rush her, just make sure she gets plenty of nutritious food to make up for the lack of sunshine. She'll come around when she gains more confidence, that could take months, and is sure she won't get abandoned again. It just takes a lot of time. Bless you for taking them in, they are so lucky!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cindylu207

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor baby! She's most likely afraid she won't get back in. Don't rush her, just make sure she gets plenty of nutritious food to make up for the lack of sunshine. She'll come around when she gains more confidence, that could take months, and is sure she won't get abandoned again. It just takes a lot of time. Bless you for taking them in, they are so lucky!
Thank you for your replies, it makes me feel much better. It's winter and cold/snowy, so I suppose inside is the best place for them. I'm feeding them top notch food and they are safe, so I will be patient with her.