Rescue and automatic declaw!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

You wrote up a wonderful very thought out email, I can only hope others that email put as much work and facts into theirs as emotions aren't likely going to hold much sway.
I don't think I could write up as polite and factual email, so I won't send one myself.
I agree - the more factual and less emotional the e-mail the more it is likely to be taken seriously.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last time my Mom adopted from a rescue she had a very hard time finding a cat with claws.
She lived in the suburbs of St. Paul, MN and she said most of the cats that were adults were declawed already. Some of the rescues even declawed kittens before adoption (she was horrified by that). I thought it was shocking.

I've lived mostly in cities smaller than the Metro Area since I moved away from home, and it's not as common to see declawed cats at the shelters/rescues. The shelter here has notes posted on each cat's info that they do not recommend declawing and to talk to an adoption counselor for more info about training. It was my experience that people were less likely to adopt already declawed cats. That is how my first 3 cats came to me declawed.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

You wrote up a wonderful very thought out email, I can only hope others that email put as much work and facts into theirs as emotions aren't likely going to hold much sway.
I don't think I could write up as polite and factual email, so I won't send one myself.
Thank you. I had all the facts on hand from a thread a while back where a member of TCS that is a vet wanted to see proof that there are actual problems with declaw - and not just short term. This just helped me to organize it all.

I think that for most people, making the emotional humane argument can help - then they're open to hearing the problems their cats may experience. It's just this is a vet hospital, so I figured they'd need facts.

I wonder if I will hear back from them?

Laurie

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When my neighbor first got her boy, she contemplated getting him declawed. She researched declawing extensively on the web and was shocked at what she found. Today, her boy, Shadow is a happy black DLH who has ALL his claws intact. She wouldn't put him through that. My girls will not be put through that also. They will remain clawed. I may have an occasional scratch but my girls health and happiness is worth it.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fantastic response Laurie, I hope it helps in educating.

Originally Posted by plar

Then again, I also don't have very expensive $5000 sofa. If I do, I might not want to risk that.
I just want to add that the value of a piece of furniture should never come above the value of a cat. There are people with expensive furniture that do have cats that have claws and the cats do scratch the furniture, that can happen. If the time ever comes for anyone to ever think it is ok to declaw a cat because of furniture, then that person is not ready to have a cat in their lives, IMO.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

If the time ever comes for anyone to ever think it is ok to declaw a cat because of furniture, then that person is not ready to have a cat in their lives, IMO.
Well said Pam
I havent had my sofas 2 years yet and they've been scratched by Jack, but i'll replace it when he's a year or two older.