Request: Soft Food Brand Discussion

derelict

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, I see this issue being discussed piecemeal in several threads, but would like to start an overview discussion in one place. I've recently switch our three cats (two are over 10 years old) from generic Friskies soft food to Blue Buffalo, which they clearly prefer. However, there are several other brands that appear to be good options as well, at least from reading online comments. What do you folks think of them??

The possible options that I'm aware of here (Fremont, CA) are:
> Blue Buffalo
> Wellness
> Purina One (??)
> Trader Joe's (ingredients don't appear to list any grains)
> Others??

The drawbacks to three of the four of these, for me, are that I can't get them at a normal grocery store, I need to make separate trips to other stores.
#Edit: removed the comment about Amazon; I don't go through cat food fast enough to bother buying online, I have PetSmart nearby as well as grocery store, those serve me just fine.

Last edited:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok gracie can't eat any cat food (she gets sick ) and they have lots of different types of cat food. Gracie can't have gravy or jelly so she eats the gastro intestinal vet soft food. We order in from the Internet as cheaper.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok gracie can't eat any cat food (she gets sick ) and they have lots of different types of cat food. Gracie can't have gravy or jelly so she eats the gastro intestinal vet soft food. We order in from the Internet as cheaper.
Royal canin have different types of soft (and dry) food I mean. Gracie has soft

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

derelict

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow... went back to look at PetSmart website (to get a brand list)... they have so many different brands of soft cat food that I can't even count them all. Should I even worry about it?? Can I assume that PS will carry good quality products? Alternately, is it sufficient to look at ingredient list and make sure grains aren't included?

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Tucker loves blue buffalo wet food, Ted won't eat any wet food but the cheap stuff (Iams, friskies ect) and Tula won't eat wet food at all (I've tried like 15 different brands and nothing). But they all eat blue buffalo dry food, so I don't mind feeding Ted the cheaper stuff for wet.

Apparently you should look to make sure that the first 5 ingredients are meat or protein and there is no animal bi products. I was feeding my cats Royal canin, but they changed their recipes and now include animal bi products and unfortunately are quite grain heavy for my tastes.