Replacing a cat tree ?

linni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our three year old has had a certain cat tree since we got him. He loves it. It's a floor to ceiling model and he loves sitting on the very top level away from everyone. When we have people over. It's his safe place. When he's afraid he doesn't run under a bed, he goes to his highest level. It's made of carpet and he has scratched on it so much that the durn thing is falling apart!

It used to be a nice piece of furniture, but we taught him early on to scratch there. When he would scratch inappropriately I would simply lift him up and carry him to the post placing his paws up and down on the bottom of it.

But now the thing looks terrible, is falling apart and I'm afraid to fix it with staples or glue. But, I'm not complaining. That's what it's there for. We're thinking of replacing it - but how easy is it for a cat to adapt to a new one?

How can you get an adult cat used to a new cat tree? I'm thinking of either replacing it, or taking this one to a guy in our city who makes cat trees and get him to redo it.

lin

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never met a cat that didn't love a tree, so I wouldn't worry about it. I know cats love routine, and we're cautioned about new food and litters, but I don't think that applies.

Every new tree or shelf I have put up has been explored within a couple minutes. In fact, sometimes they try to mess with it while I'm still putting it together.

Whats your budget btw, the community might have some tips. Its always fun shopping for gigantic cat toys!

This one is still my favorite, but you have to replace the poopie toy danglers with a more durable string and toy IMO:
http://www.amazon.com/Armarkat-Pet-P...9446058&sr=8-2 (expensive, but no tax + free 2day shipping)

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holland has a small tree (though I dream of one day getting one of those floor to ceiling models) and I recently bought her another small one for use in a different room. I simply sprinkled some catnip on it and she took right to it. Those are the only two she's ever had (she's 3 years old too). I don't know why they are naturally drawn to the trees, and maybe I just lucked out, but outside of a couple times, the only carpet Holland has ever scratched is what's on her tree. I doubt you'll have any problems getting your guy to use a new one.

Ducman - I love that tree that you linked to on Amazon. Is it sturdy? I've only got Holland right now, and she's petite (under 9 pounds) but I'm hoping to adopt a brother for her in the next few months. From the description it seems heavy enough, but I always wonder how easy it would be for a couple of cats to knock it over...

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of mine are in a corner of the house, which helps stability I would think. They jump off and onto the top shelf to get to the cat shelves in the living room though, sometimes at excited top speed, and no issues to date. *knock on wood*

In fact, that's where the two are chilling as of 45 seconds ago:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, my Cappy would LOVE that huge cat tree in your picture and the one on the amazon site! I'm going to start looking around.

Lin

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's some great advice
! That cat tree is more like a kitty condo, and I don't know a kitty who wouldn't love that

kittymom4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wonder if you put the new tree in the old trees place an then moved the old tree to a less desirable place in the house for a little while? You know - still around to use but kind of out of site out of mind? But the new tree is so available to use and in the great prime spot! That way he may gravitate to the new tree.

I always hate throwing out the old beaten up toys too - you know those were the well loved on ones - but they just destroy them! So they've got to go.

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have two cats and two small trees.

Here's one I just purchased, the other is similar style but smaller. Molly and friends tree

Do you really need that 10 room palace for 1 max 2 cats?
. I would try to go for quality vs quantity.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Every new tree or shelf I have put up has been explored within a couple minutes. In fact, sometimes they try to mess with it while I'm still putting it together.
I have hard time trying to put the trees together because they are already occupied as soon as I unpack them.

I used to have this ceiling high tree, but it wasn't sturdy enough for my Brit studs and it died...

Then I got this one back in 2009 (ceiling high, steel beam), even I can climb on it.. Best tree ever.

And I've got this (145cm) but it's not very sturdy and the ropes are already starting to need some fixing (I've had it for 1,5 years)

Also one home made tree but I don't think I have pics of it. It's made out of a projector stand and has 2 sisal posts attached to it (took those from the first one which broke). It's almost 150cm tall and quite sturdy, almost if not identical to this stand. All of the trees are in good use.

3magic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Interesting and amazon site, I LOVE that huge cat tree in your picture, It is looking nice an beautiful, I'm going to start looking around.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NorthernGlow

Then I got this one back in 2009 (ceiling high, steel beam), even I can climb on it.. Best tree ever.
Where'd you get that one?