repellents for humans/safe for cats

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that certain oils are toxic to cats when ingested but can anyone recommend a safe repellent I can wear that won't be harmful to my cat when I go back inside?(most of that deet stuff stays on the skin even when washed off) West Nile has been found in the area, so even though mosquitos hate my blood, "better safe than sorry''.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure there is one that is sold in stores that is safe for cats to ingest, however if you have catnip plants you can make cat safe repellent that works fairly well. It's not 100% since apparently not all mosquitos species are repelled by it, but it's not toxic if your cat licks it. The easiest is just crush and rub the fresh leaves (you need fresh leaves since you need the oils) on your skin. You can also make your own bug spray out of it https://www.doityourself.com/stry/using-catnip-to-repel-mosquitoes-and-insects The first method listed is the safest (basically catnip tea), and be careful if you try the last option that uses oils, those are likely not safe. Also the effects don't last all day like some other bug sprays, a couple hours seems to be about the limit.

Just a word of caution, depending on how your cat reacts to catnip you may need to still wash it off when you come inside. I have a couple cats that get aggressive with catnip and I ended up getting bit yesterday (nothing serious more of a hard pinch with their teeth) after rubbing catnip leaves on my hands and arms when outside.

If you live in a house, not an apartment or something like that, you can also plant catnip around the house to help repel mosquitos (obviously not this year). I suggest planting in pots though, unless you want the catnip to take over. I do notice there are almost no mosquitos around the area that the catnip is growing compared to getting swarmed (mosquitos love my blood) going to other areas of the property.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I personaly like piActive, it also happens to be deet free.

I don't like how deet repelants smell myself and avoid repelants if i can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GranolaLouise

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want it for myself but ended up getting a plant based made for cats and dogs but suitable for humans. Only thing is it doesn't have a lasting effect. But I just want it for the yard work, not walking in the woods.