renting rant

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CDubbie

With your "low income" housing (I'm sorry, dont know what to call it), I assume the owners get a government match for rent they "lose" by offering reduced rents for those that qualify. Meaning, I'm thinking they are charging you far more than they may be reporting to whatever gov't agency oversees this? I assume the rules would be different with this kind of property vs the usual run of the mill properties w/no income requirements.

I'm grateful to stay where I am...they go out of their way to treat their quality tenants rights - they are smart enough to realize how profitable it is to keep them instead of driving them away and hoping they "get lucky" with the next batch of tenants. Perhaps when you have your discussion with the rental office you could bring that concept up. (Although I have had HORRIBLE luck with property managers over the years)
It is considered 'low income' although they're putting a very PC label on it by calling it 'restricted income' ... yet there are residents who own BEAMERS who live here... eh? And, although I can't remember the exact situation, they aren't subsidized like most low income places. This isn't Sec.8. If i had more time, I'd get into one of those... there's quite a few here...

granted, we also have the folks on welfare/SSI, living right next to the people with Beamers. We have drug dealers and prostitutes living here... next to families with small children (who let those kids play in the driveway area). People skip out on their leases, leaving all kinds of lovely things behind...

This site used to be the old Shriner's Hospital (anyone in Portland will know exactly where i live now... but they'd have a hard time finding my unit, well, kinda), and they made some sort of stipulation when buying the land that they had to build a senior building (massive structure in the middle), and provide housing to lower income folks. You can't get in if you make over X dollars a year. But it's not subsidized... if it was, they'd probably leave me alone. I've been here since the beginning. The complex only opened up two years ago... I've been here for two years. I'm the first tenant in my unit... I'd think they want stable, honest tenants... apparently not.

I've asked some friends around here, one of whom is an attorney, and they gave me the usual: Housing Authority (which I don't think applies to me, as they deal with Sec8 housing), the Portland Ombudsman, which only deals with city complaints, and then the attorney spoke up and said there is no one in Oregon to deal with this stuff... ARGH!!! There really should be. Seriously.

I'll go in, when they open, and have a chat. Actually, I may not be able to this morning... I have an appointment and shelter time... they open at 9:30, and I have to get cat food before my appt. Well, that can wait until tomorrow... I have enough...

Thanks,
Amanda

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had an issue come up at my own place a month ago (non-rent related). I called the city tenant right gov't agency (whatever it is called, got a list of laws online and a phone number ) and the woman I spoke with there was v. good about explaining what a landlord can and cannot do and how to followup if necessary.

Please do a quick online search regarding the legal raise % they are allowed to do per year.

As far as a 'restricted income' property, I wasnt aware of them, I learned a bit. I do find it odd that the owners do not get kicks backs and are still willing to rent "less" than perhaps they could get otherwise. Interesting situation...even though you are in the middle and it isn't fun for you

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still going to do my research and talk to someone, but as of now, I decided to sign for another year... I'd love to believe that my life will be VASTLY improved to the point of being able to afford moving in six months, but I said two years ago that I wouldn't be staying in THIS apartment after the first year... here I am going into my THIRD year... my dad is willing to deal with it, and as much as I hate it, and them, I'll deal for now... I went with a one year because I don't think I can get as many helpers for moving in December, as I can in June. More open places in the warmer months as well...

I did get paperwork... she was confused as to what I wanted... told me the actual re-certification papers wouldn't make much sense. I did get the good stuff though... where it shows my income increases...

now if I can only make the punks that hang outside my apartment at midnight vanish... legally. and make the annoying upstairs neighbors be quiet. They've been warned, but they don't care that they're noisy and make my dishes rattle in my cabinets...

Thanks everyone...
Amanda

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow! I cant believe how cheap it is to live....everywhere else!
I currently pay $750 for a small 1 bedroom in Downtown Edmonton. My rent increased last year from $590 to $750....Yes, thats a $160 increase. I am still paying $200 or more less than anyone else I know who lives downtown, or in a decent neighbourhood. A 2 bedroom is $1200 minimum! I have never seen an actual house for rent here for under $1900, and even then we're talking townhouse...now I realize how expensive it really is to live here....oy!

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Februa

Wow! I cant believe how cheap it is to live....everywhere else!
I currently pay $750 for a small 1 bedroom in Downtown Edmonton. My rent increased last year from $590 to $750....Yes, thats a $160 increase. I am still paying $200 or more less than anyone else I know who lives downtown, or in a decent neighbourhood. A 2 bedroom is $1200 minimum! I have never seen an actual house for rent here for under $1900, and even then we're talking townhouse...now I realize how expensive it really is to live here....oy!
Actually, for a 'downtown' place, that's decent... downtown/Pearl in Portland is that and more... a tiny place would be that here. Back in Chicago, I know i had it REALLY good... most downtown apts there were 1300 and up for anything above 500 sq ft.

I'm not in downtown. I wish I was. I know I wouldn't have as much of a noise issue. mid rise and high rise buildings have concrete between floors... no creaky boards... I had that in Chicago. man, it was NICE! The building I'm in now is typical suburban style timber frame construction... you hear EVERYTHING... at first, I had an elderly neighbor above me... then she moved out (and passed away a few months later) and this family moved in... complete with screaming (and no sign of parents making a good effort) toddler/baby, and those infamous 'squeaky bedsprings' no one really needs to hear.

Amanda

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Howdy neighbor. I live in Portland too. I live in Irvington now and not going anywhere. I am locked in now. I lived in Mount Tabor and Ladds Addition. I even lived in the Northwest for a year.
My friend is a Social Worker and I have an idea of where you live. It is a little rough. She had to do home visits there sometimes.
Have you tried those apartments on the river. The name escapes me. You would technically be in the Pearl.
I heard on the radio due to housing prices Portland has more renters. You have people whose houses have been foreclosed and are choosing to rent. So now you have greedy landlords. My brother just had his rent increased by 35 dollars. He lives in Ladds and pays 565 for a studio. It is a very large studio and they allow 2 cats.
I remember the name Yards at Union Station? They have a mix of restricted income and regular paying tenants.

If you have some talent at making things consider the website Esty:
http://www.etsy.com/

Being at the mercy of others is an awful feeling.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

Howdy neighbor. I live in Portland too. I live in Irvington now and not going anywhere. I am locked in now. I lived in Mount Tabor and Ladds Addition. I even lived in the Northwest for a year.
My friend is a Social Worker and I have an idea of where you live. It is a little rough. She had to do home visits there sometimes.
Have you tried those apartments on the river. The name escapes me. You would technically be in the Pearl.
I heard on the radio due to housing prices Portland has more renters. You have people whose houses have been foreclosed and are choosing to rent. So now you have greedy landlords. My brother just had his rent increased by 35 dollars. He lives in Ladds and pays 565 for a studio. It is a very large studio and they allow 2 cats.
I remember the name Yards at Union Station? They have a mix of restricted income and regular paying tenants.

If you have some talent at making things consider the website Esty:
http://www.etsy.com/

Being at the mercy of others is an awful feeling.
The Yards... the price/income range I'm in would put me into a place just slightly bigger than a shoe box. Literally. They're not exactly cheap, according to their own website. I like the place, the area, and the apartments, but they're not that affordable, as far as I can tell. Maybe next year. And by next year I'll be in ONE permanent job that pays well (in the process of getting into Mult. Co. again... this time there's nothing stopping me. It's on-call at first, but there'll be some spots opening up by the end of the year, she said. I took my test yesterday).

There are also other buildings in the Pearl/NW Portland area that are low income... I found them through the HUD website, I think... it's a PDF that i saved on my hard drive and I labeled it HUD, but I can't remember which housing site it was from... whomever handles Sec.8.

I know they'll try and raise it again next year, so this time, no matter what, I'm moving in a year. Whatever it takes. So, my plan is to start packing non-essential things into boxes at about six months... at three months out, I'll rent a storage unit and stash as much there as possible. I have friends who'll help me move (one already said, name the weekend, he'll rally the troops). So when the time comes, they won't be hauling ALL my books and fabric. I have a lot of both. at the bare minimum, I can cram into 700 square feet. I'm currently bursting at the seams in 850, but that includes the fabric and 1000 books...

I know Etsy. I fully plan on selling there in the very near future (and will have to be careful not to use my earnings to BUY on Etsy). I have to make up some initial pieces and photograph them. My first thing to sell will be purses... of course there are a LOT of purses selling on there... but I've gotten compliments on the one I did for a contest project for work... I didn't win anything in the contest, but I had a blast... and everyone loved my purse that matched the dress. everyone liked the dress as well.... I'll put something up in its own thread with pictures about that... I want to refine the purse design and then make some to sell....

Thank you for your input...
Amanda

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I happen to be a purse addict so if you put up some piccies let me know.
I asked around about some places but it seems as though there are waiting lists.
As far as the Yards...perhaps you could do it and then get one of those Activespaces for your craft materials.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, I said I was gonna do a separate thread... which I will still probably do... but here's the purse from the contest:

I'm not sure if I'll use the same fabrics again... but the same basic idea... I had to utilize what fabrics were in the packet I got from the vendor...

I've considered Activspace... I just don't know how expensive it is... I used to pass by the one on Lovejoy when I was getting acupuncture done... the website doesn't say how much spaces are... but if i sell enough stuff on Etsy, that can help pay for the rent... and I can even set up my laptop and writing books there (if the space is big enough for all of it) and really be able to focus on my writing... maybe I'll actually get my novels DONE! Hmm.. will have to look into it... I wonder if they're affordable...

Okay... thank you for sparking that possibility. I won't be moving this year, but I can certainly get an Activspace going at some point... and then next year I can move...

Amanda