Renting/cats

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ok so for the renters out there what is the number that's allowed/uncared about. At apartment it was 2 but they knew I had 4 and never heard anything(rent paid on time no issues besides maintenance requests as needed.
I was going to go with saying we have 3...but dunno looking in places where cheap enough I can offer them pet rent if needed

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im honestly not sure. In our area alot of times it will blantently say pets or no pets when advertising somewhere available for rent. However there is no number stated on the amount allowed I think if they say pets ok then its up to their discression on how many but Id probably gauge their receptiveness towards the cats before saying how many you have. If your not able to do that Id go somewhere in the middle and go from there.

Im lucky in my case where our landlord company is not only BFs boss but the majority owner is also a really close family friend so we kinda get away with whatever we want..Not to mention we have replaced all but 2 windows in the house (spare room left for spring) but everything that was wrong with the house we fixed and just redid all the wood stove piping etc....OUT OF OUR OWN POCKET! Everything we have done they have not paid for. We are going to talk to them about possible reimbursement or atleast partial reimbursement of carpeting because our new redone bedroom is 2 diff color carpet and missing patches when the floor was replaced. If they are willing to pay for it or partially reimburse us we are going to recarpet from the living room back the whole hall way and the whole bedroom. The only room that wouldnt get done right away is the spare room because its literally jam packed and needs cleaned out first. LOL

Good luck finding a place hopefully you find something reasonable!

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sure it depends on the landlord or complex. When I was a renter, we had 2 cats which was the maximum permitted. The lady downstairs complained about them constantly and used to tell the rental office that we had a herd of cats, causing inspection after inspection. It was one of the reasons we decided to buy a house. I liked apartment dwelling for the most part but it was a hassle to constantly have to defend my cats.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've actually been looking into this. I'm not moving anytime soon, very happy here in the house with my boyfriend but his medical prognosis is not very good (don't really want to elaborate on that) so I know one day I may have to rent and I wanted to know what I'd be up against because I know I want to stay in this area-- just not quite sure I'll still want to live in this house by myself and all the responsibility that comes with it. But enough on that.

First off, I ruled out all the "no pets" policy ones. Out of the pet friendly, what I found was that there is one complex in my city where there is no # limit, the pet deposit just increases with each animal/weight limit. Then I found two complexes that say they evaluate # of pets on a "case by case basis". There were a few that said "pets negotiable with pet interview with manager". The rest were limit of 2 per unit. (These are only the complexes, I'm not including renting privately out of a house/etc., these are what I got from big management run apartment complexes. I imagine you might have a little more wiggle room when you are renting privately).

If I ever do need to move though I think one thing that will help me is my psychiatrist has already offered to write me a medical note saying that since I do not leave home much due to my disability these animals are therapeutic and ABSOLUTELY necessary to my well being. So I think that would help me negotiate if need be.

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We lived in an apartment before renting a single family in a new city and the apartment only allowed declawed cats. The residents were mostly people in the healthcare fields getting trainings and very busy and also rather transient in nature and guess chose not to have pets. The other types of residents were older people (retired mostly) who lived there for 10 years or more and they are the ones who mostly had the cats. We asked to keep a dog, with additional security deposits and were refused.

Then when we had to move to our present city, we had a ton of trouble finding rentals that would allow dogs over 25 lbs but most allowed up to 2 cats and most places had security deposits per pet - some even had an additional rental of 25$ or so per pet. In some apartment buildings we saw that they had specific units reserved for pet owners (especially dogs). When we decided to go with this house, we had the landlord put in the permission for a dog in the lease agreement. When we wanted to get a cat we e-mailed our landlord and she allowed us. We will possibly request them if we can get another cat instead of the dog and will see what happens. Somehow we are really chicken to get pet without permission and rescues will not allow it, either ways

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It COMPLETELY depends on the landlord. See we rent, but the duplex is owned by my aunt and uncle. They don't care HOW many cats we have, because they know how well cared for they are. They live in the other half of the duplex, and know we are responsible, clean and quiet people.
It's a great situation all the way around.

However, before we were offered this place, we had a hell of a time trying to find a landlord who would let us have multiple cats. Your best bet would be to see if you can get referances to speak for you, and yes, offer a pet deposit. Unfortunately in my own experiences, most landlords who didn't care about multiple pets ended up being slum lords, or the apartments weren't in the best parts of town.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trailer courts might be a good place to look (although then you'll end up with more cats. . .). In my experience, most don't have pet limits, and, if you buy your trailer (not hard to find a cheap one), you won't have to deal with a landlord other than the lot owner.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking the same thing Kailie said- get some references if you can, if you're renting now, so the new landlord will see that you do take care of your cats and your home. Good luck!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When we moved out of the RV into a house, we simply looked for one that allowed pets, and paid a pet deposit. We told them we had five (which was true then). We gave the vet as a reference. We'd TNR'd and adopted out so many cats, at that time there were like 60 cats that were still listed under our account - so all anyone at the vet's office could say (since they didn't really know how many cats we actually had as our own pets) was that we take extremely good care of our cats, they have no idea how many we actually have, but we do foster and get them adopted out, and we also trap and release cats.

This may be something to consider... the idea that you have some as pets, but not all of them are permanent, without actually identifying the number of cats that will be moving with you.

tink80

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to add I also saw some landlords willing to accept pets with a pet deposit AND a non refundable one time fee (i.e. $500 pet deposit AND $300 one time NR fee). If you have some money in savings this might help.