Rental vent

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I find that strange about 4 cats, I never had a problem saying 4 though we had a short time frame to move this time and I said 3 just incase!!!I would go with saying 3 personally in case there is a 3rd out (though you could always say you are watching a friends pets!)I am almost sure my landlord knows we have 5 by now...but he couldn't seem to care less...we are his only tenants that pay rent on time and he always tells us how much he appreciated that
, the poor guy!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember talking with one landlord (this was 2 years ago before we got our current place). He was willing to take the 4, but said that the amount of fur that 4 generates versus 2 can impact the ventilation system like furnace, a/c, etc.

Of course that could've been a cop out. Though I tend to believe him...after we got Whitey the fur was EVERYWHERE and I have to vacuum more.

fiftyfour

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I understand your frustration! It is hard trying to find places that accepts pets. I've been looking myself... I'll find a great place with all the features I'm looking for... then when I get to the bottom that states "no pets"..... I let out a disppointed sigh.

I agree that you should just say you have two cats. "Four" to landlords will sound scary.

But if it's anything like my building, you have to be careful. My landlords will claim they need to make a "smoke detector inspection" but they'll really come in to see if you are breaking any rules so they can charge you $$$

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FiftyFour

But if it's anything like my building, you have to be careful. My landlords will claim they need to make a "smoke detector inspection" but they'll really come in to see if you are breaking any rules so they can charge you $$$
I believe (at least in the states I've lived in) that they have to give you 24 hours notice unless it's an emergency... like your house is flooding and you're not home, etc. If they give you that 24 hours notice and you have to reschedule, then they have to accept that. They're not just allowed to arbitrarily walk into your home whenever they feel like it. Some of them don't actually pay attention to that, but they're not permitted by law to do it.

Of course, that being said, rental laws differ from state to state so one state may differ from the next. You'd have to check in your particular state, but usually a HUD website will tell you tenant rights for whichever state you're living in. A general search on "tenant rights Alabama" or whatever state you're in will usually also generate results that are helpful.