Reminder: Loosen Collars As Kittens Grow....

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know why but i felt compelled to write a post to remind anyone with a kitten to check the fit of a collar as their kitten grows. even with my adult cat i like to stick two fingers under the collar to make sure its not tight.

especially with harder collars with a safety clasp that dont stretch.

maybe its common sense, but just wanted to remind everyone. it was always a fear of mine to make sure my cats could breathe properly.

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you.

I think I've had one of those panicked moments of noticing the collar is too tight on all my cats. Nightfury was the worst because he had stopped growing but was bulking out a little, losing some of that skinny teenage kitten lanky look, so we weren't checking as frequently. Poor guy, he got a full can of tuna after my Mom realized how tight the collar was and loosened it. Even with regular checking some of those growth spurts are just crazy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you.

I think I've had one of those panicked moments of noticing the collar is too tight on all my cats. Nightfury was the worst because he had stopped growing but was bulking out a little, losing some of that skinny teenage kitten lanky look, so we weren't checking as frequently. Poor guy, he got a full can of tuna after my Mom realized how tight the collar was and loosened it. Even with regular checking some of those growth spurts are just crazy.
awww poor baby. this is why i make it part of my routine when i pet my cats daily. to scratch their neck for them. this helps me to check their collar as i pet them. i also switched to beastie bands.

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My neighbor told me that her cat had been vomitting and she suspected food allergies, but when I went over to check on the kitty I found that his collar was so tight he could barely breathe! I took it off to adjust, and realized that it wouldn't even adjust large enough because it was a kitten collar that he had since he was only 6lbs (he's now 18lbs)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My neighbor told me that her cat had been vomitting and she suspected food allergies, but when I went over to check on the kitty I found that his collar was so tight he could barely breathe! I took it off to adjust, and realized that it wouldn't even adjust large enough because it was a kitten collar that he had since he was only 6lbs (he's now 18lbs)
thats horrible! :angryfire: poor baby, hes lucky to be alive. i dont get why companies sell hard leather collars. they have always made me nervous.