Reminder About Signature

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by valanhb
To check the size of the images in your signature, right click on the image, choose Properties. One of the properties is Size, displayed in bytes. For example, Cathi's signature image is 12275 bytes, or 12.275 Kilobytes (KB), which is well within the 30 KB suggestion.
LOL I was just getting ready to post this.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not an option for us Mac people. That's why I was curious. I downloaded blondiecat's sig and used my "Get Info" function and got 40 kb. Do any of you PC gurus get same?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I think I'm within the guidelines. Image sizes total something like 12-13 Kb, and the height looks OK -- If I've missed something, please set me straight.

Something I have noticed -- I have fast connections both at work and at home, so most things don't take a long time to load. However, I've noticed that some image hosting sites respond more quickly than others. Watch the progress bar while a page is loading -- where it tells you that it's seeking a connection with.... or whatever. Some take a noticeable time: imagestation (a popular image hosting service) is often slow to respond, whereas I almost never see villagephotos (the one I use) pausing, and I don't think I've ever seen, for instance, I LOVE CATS, (is that the name?) that somebody recently recommended to someone asking about how to put photos in a sig.

Perhaps it's just that there are more images to be retrieved from imagestation than from other sites, but given that the message in the progress bar suggests that a connection has yet to be made, it seems more likely that the site is slow. There may be others, too, but that's the one I see all the time.

What we do about that, I don't know. I wouldn't want to be relocating a whole mess of images and I doubt anyone else wants to either. However, just thought I'd make the observation, since on a slower connection, it might not be so obvious that some of the problem is not the slow connection, or large files, but slow response.

Oh, well, for whatever it's worth...

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually Imagestation is not an image hosting site. It's against their terms of service and Since they sent Sicy that email awhile back telling her to remove the links or lose her pictures, I've heard they are cracking down even more. And imagestation often does load VERY slow!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by mzjazz2u
Actually Imagestation is not an image hosting site. It's against their terms of service and Since they sent Sicy that email awhile back telling her to remove the links or lose her pictures, I've heard they are cracking down even more. And imagestation often does load VERY slow!
Now that you mention it, I do recall Sicy's problem with them. In case anyone's interested you might want to check out Village Photos. You can't remote link with a free account, but I'm finding the cheapest account ($5 for 6 months) to be more than adequate, and there are several other not horrendously expensive options if you need heavier use.

kimward34

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Deb25
Not an option for us Mac people. That's why I was curious. I downloaded blondiecat's sig and used my "Get Info" function and got 40 kb. Do any of you PC gurus get same?
Hey Deb - The PC Folks view file sizes totally differently than the way you and I do. (I still haven't figured out how it's done on their platform, really ~grin~) All I can say is, I kinda' like our "FILE > GET INFO" feature... Talk about "Down and Dirty Info Gettin'" -

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This site is already quite generous with the avatars, so it's about time some people were reminded of the guidelines. There were some members who had huge sigs that took up nearly a whole page in width and height!
Hopefully they read this thread. If anyone needs some assistance in reducing their sigs they can pm me. I have Photoshop and I use it quite a lot for reducing size without quality loss.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by jeeperscat
I use I love cats......... can you see this picture?

It's only about 3k so it shouldn't take long to load.
It's present, clear, and there was no delay in loading.