Remidies to forget someone?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Grieving is such a hard thing to go through! I try to take one day off, and just "get it all out", I look at the pictures, write down the things I'll miss, the happy memories, and I make sure that I keep plenty of light snacks on hand. After that day, I listen to music, read books, and everytime I start to feel bad, I offer myself a treat, such as splurging on a long drive, spending extra time on TCS, etc.
I hope that you feel better soon - remember that your future special somebody is praying for Heaven to send you along!

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't want to forget him completely. Forget the relationship, but don't forget him.

You'll need to go through a period of grieving ---- grieving over the relationship itself is probably the hardest thing. I know the man himself was bad to you, bad *for* you, and THAT my dear is what you gotta remember!

Don't forget all the bad stuff; don't stash the bad stuff off to the side and pine away over all the good stuff. If you do that; you'll only be standing in stagnant water for quite a while, mourning something that isn't worth standing still for.

In giving yourself time to grieve the loss of the relationship itself (no matter how it ended; badly, on good terms, friendship, etc.), give YOU some pampering time. Take care of yourself! Get out there and DO STUFF. Have fun! Get out & party, make time with & for friends. Spoil yourself & learn to love yourself again.

If you have pictures of him or momentos; either burn them, throw them away, or hide them in a real far-off spot. It's in the act of getting rid of these physical things, that you actually get rid of the emotional stuff, too.

It will take a little time to get your mindset right... but this is time to focus on you, not him. Forgetting him means giving yourself the private time to mourn the loss of the relationship; mourn it "correctly", don't drown yourself in sorrow or get plastered & cry over old photos. Just pitch the physical stuff and purge the emotional stuff.

You're worth more than how he treated you, anyway! And you know that! Once you distance yourself from an unhealthy relationship, you will be totally wowwed as to how high you will hold yourself up. Your self esteem will soar and everyone around you will notice it!

And someday a guy who is worthy of YOU will come along. He'll treat you right; but first you gotta treat yourself right. My best remedy for getting rid of someone was doing as Amy said; grieve it properly and purge everything from your life that reminds you of him.

For me, I pretended my ex was dead. I still do. It sounds cruel but it worked.

lil_axl_gurl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel yesterday I had to leave the house to basically..run away from him. He wouldn't stop trying to get ahold of me and knowing how I am I had to leave the house so that I wouldn't respond.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if I could add any more comments than have already been posted.
Take care of yourself. Time is a great healer.
You are a super girl and there is a wonderful person out there for you.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Burn the photos, hide the engagement ring or sell it, get rid of all the material things. Of course there is no way you should ever part with those darling little kitties, but all the other reminders should be purged from the system. I burnt all of my ex photos (I even played darts on one of them) and it was VERY therapeutic! There are no quick fixes, but it does help!
You're too special to hang up on this guy Fran - the long and the short of it is that he wasn't worth it, and you deserve so much better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys for your advice,

well the pictures are on the comp, and he has a pic of when he chats to me which was taken in my room and it makes me think he is still here...

I do not have the engagement ring anymore, i left them with him, i put those together and put it in the draw, the other ring you all saw with the diamons on it wasnt the engagement one, it was just a ring i wanted.

I have been chatting to a fair few guys and they all seem to want one thing, which is starting to get on my nerves! What do they think i am?

Thank you all once again for your advice and hugs!

:cuddles:

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fran give yourself a break from seeing other men just now!.

When i split i wasn't interested in meeting anyone else and concentrated on me, and i've only just met someone now because i feel the time is right.

Your going through a grieving process at the moment and you really want time to think about yourself and start putting yourself first.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know!
I am so not ready for another relationship, but i do want to make some friends.

After seeing kats cruise pics i so want to find a girlfriend that i can go on one with next year

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know what you mean about friends. I grew up with brothers and after I was adult, and single, I think that I dated the wrong men because I was missing my brothers. then I got a job in a great dinnerhouse restaurant, and we had both men & women servers. Our comaderie was just awesome! Funny how we never "fished off the company pier"; we were more like brothers & sisters, but even closer. anyway, it sure helped fill the "male companionship" void in my life. There were many times that I'd rather hang out after work with my co-workers, rather than go out on a date! And the guys I dated while I worked were really great guys
I still miss that job very, very much; I quit only because I injured my neck in a car accident and couldn't do the work anymore.