Remembering "Stinky" a sweet girl

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stinky (nickname given by my son when she was tiny, and just sort of stuck..) was Alley's older sister, from a previous litter. She was with me until a few years ago. I had moved in with my mom and she didn't really want both cats in the house. Alley was my baby girl, even though I had had Stinky longer, we didn't have the same bond that I had with Alley so I decided to find her a new home.

My sister was visiting from Massachusetts and mentioned how they were looking for a cat. She had known Stinky before and knew she was a sweet quiet kitty and agreed to take her home. Unfortunately, my sister wasn't as responsible, or as bright, as I had hoped. Along the drive home, she had Stinky out for some "air" and with the cars and noise Stinky freaked out and managed to break her collar and headed for the woods. My stepsister looked and called to her for about an hour and half but finally, after leaving word at the gas station with a description and a phone number, she had to go on. Nobody ever called and Stinky was never found. It would be nice to think that somebody took her in, or that she ended up in a shelter and found a nice home. She was about 7 years old, spayed, very skittish and quiet. It broke my heart to think that she was lost and probably went hungry, or maybe got run over on the highway. I can only assume that she crossed the rainbow bridge a few years ago. If she did, then maybe she was waiting there for Alley this past December. Here are a couple of pictures.

Rest in peace sweet girl. Take care of your little sister Alley for me, just as you always did.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...int/Stinky.jpg

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3...nt/stinky2.jpg

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Stinky is a beautiful girl..........its is always sad to linger on "what could have been" and "if onlys" but I am sure she made a peaceful crossing and she is having a great time over the Bridge with all the other kitties and of course Alley

RIP Sweet one, you are free to run & play forever safe and never forgotten

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awww Stinky

Gone but not forgotten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone, for your words. Its possible Stinky is still out there somewhere, taken in by a caring stranger, but most likely, she crossed the bridge a couple years ago.

Its nice to think of her and Alley together again.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wherever she is, I hope and pray that Stinky is comfortable and at peace. The not-knowing is so, so difficult. And you never know -
About 10 years ago, I was driving from Mammoth Lakes; the moon was full and it was almost midnight - the walls of snow were about 10-12 feet high along the highway, but packed solid. I have very good night vision, and excellent distance vision, and at the outermost edge of my headlights, saw a black cat dash across my lanes and scramble up the snowbank!! I had to proceed to where the snowplows cut a "cross-over" to get to the opposite lanes so that I could backtrack to an intersection (as opposed to simply making a U-turn) and then retrace my route. I stopped near the area, climbed on the roof of my truck and then used the snow stake to get up the snowbank (our snow blowers cut these straight walls). AMAZINGLY the cat was there at the base of a tree and cried ecstatically when I meowed to her. She waited for me to bundle her up into my jacket, purring and giving the most delighted headbutts against my chest- she was so skeletal
. Later, no one responded to my ads, so I figured that someone on the nearby major highway was moving and stopped, prob. to use the restroom and the cat got out. The area was at least 3 miles from town and the height of the snow and the time of the year made it virtually impossible that she had just wandered off from town or was a feral. Anyway, we kept her and named her Chrissie - she did have a guardian angel looking out for her, because she was in the forest; why she wasn't eaten by coyotes is a miracle in itself - I always felt that she was someone's pet (she was spayed) and was kept alive by that person(s) prayers

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a little beauty Stinky is as well

I'm so sorry, but know that this sweet gorgeous girls is playing happily over at the bridge with all the other TCS kitties who have passed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Wherever she is, I hope and pray that Stinky is comfortable and at peace. The not-knowing is so, so difficult. And you never know -
About 10 years ago, I was driving from Mammoth Lakes; the moon was full and it was almost midnight - the walls of snow were about 10-12 feet high along the highway, but packed solid. I have very good night vision, and excellent distance vision, and at the outermost edge of my headlights, saw a black cat dash across my lanes and scramble up the snowbank!! I had to proceed to where the snowplows cut a "cross-over" to get to the opposite lanes so that I could backtrack to an intersection (as opposed to simply making a U-turn) and then retrace my route. I stopped near the area, climbed on the roof of my truck and then used the snow stake to get up the snowbank (our snow blowers cut these straight walls). AMAZINGLY the cat was there at the base of a tree and cried ecstatically when I meowed to her. She waited for me to bundle her up into my jacket, purring and giving the most delighted headbutts against my chest- she was so skeletal
. Later, no one responded to my ads, so I figured that someone on the nearby major highway was moving and stopped, prob. to use the restroom and the cat got out. The area was at least 3 miles from town and the height of the snow and the time of the year made it virtually impossible that she had just wandered off from town or was a feral. Anyway, we kept her and named her Chrissie - she did have a guardian angel looking out for her, because she was in the forest; why she wasn't eaten by coyotes is a miracle in itself - I always felt that she was someone's pet (she was spayed) and was kept alive by that person(s) prayers
What a great story! How wonderful for the kitty that you came along at just that time to save her!

This isn't a great picture, but here is one of Alley and Stinky, as well as my cat Smokey (who went to live with my brother for 7 happy years until he was taken by illness) together on my bed. Its a nice thought that they are all three together again, curled up somewhere just like this.