Remembering my Tony

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday we were at the mechanic getting an oil change on the car. They have several kitties that live in their shop --- lovely little tuxedos. One of them kept jumping on my lap for some affection. Adorable little kitty, but it convinced me more than ever that I'm not ready for another cat. Of course we have our 2 little girls - Tippytoes and Angel -- but nobody could take Tony's place. I'm sure that at some point in the future there will be that special one. Oh - i forgot to tell you -- a couple of days after Tony crossed the bridge I was looking at some Facebook posts. There is a local cat rescue facility that operates out of Petsmart and I always get posts from them. In fact, the original rescue facility was the one that we got Tony from 15 years ago. Anyway, she had a post of a kitty that looked almost exactly like Tony when we adopted him. the funny thing was that this kitty's name is also "Tony". I kept looking and looking at him, (showed it to Paul who was also shocked at the resemblance). I contacted the lady who runs the adoption facility and she said that anytime I wanted to meet little Tony she would arrange it. I thought about it long and hard and decided that it's not the right time. I would only find myself comparing the two cats and that wouldn't be fair to "little Tony". The fact that he had the same name, was the same age Tony was when we adopted him, and the looks was just chilling. When the time is right I'll contact her. She sent me a later message that Tony was just adopted to a family living here in Naples, FL. Happy that little Tony found his forever home and I hope he had the long and happy life that my Tony had.

Thank you for all the kind words -- they mean the world to me.

owest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel what you are saying, but don't think that your are comparing cats even if it had the same name and looked the same, every cat is different we all know that, some stand out more then others and some just shine. Before we adopted Gracie and rocky I had 2 cats, one my roommate left with me since he couldn't take him to his new job in a different state and a street rescue from a local Apt building, one was orange and white the other was a Grey tabby.  The Grey tabby passed away from cancer a few years later and the orange and white disappeared by this 4 letter word jerk that lived down the block, pretty sure he dumped him 70 miles away at a football stadium, I looked for weeks and nothing, so one day I said that's it I am adopting 2 more kitten from the local shelter. My girlfriend told me that's fine, but please don't get the same colors since it would remind her of our old cats.

So I went to the SPCA with her and I had been visiting all the local shelter anyways still looking for my old cat and I spotted a Grey kitten I really liked so I picked her when we were looking and we picked this other mixed color cat but when I put the 2 near each other the mixed color cat didn't like the Grey cat, so we moved on to looking around and there he was Rocky a tiny little 3 month old jumping up and down, my girlfriend looked at me and said, I thought we were not going to get the same color cats......  The next day I had my 2 new kittens at home and I never looked back, Gracie lived rill she was 17 and rocky 19 and I miss both of them, they were the best cats I have ever owned.

So, if you see another cat you like, go meet and greet, the cat picks the human and you will know if it's right or wrong new family member for you :)  I am hoping one day when I am also ready I will find another cat with rocky personalty because it makes all the difference in the world to me !!

OW

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel what you are saying, but don't think that your are comparing cats even if it had the same name and looked the same, every cat is different we all know that, some stand out more then others and some just shine. Before we adopted Gracie and rocky I had 2 cats, one my roommate left with me since he couldn't take him to his new job in a different state and a street rescue from a local Apt building, one was orange and white the other was a Grey tabby.  The Grey tabby passed away from cancer a few years later and the orange and white disappeared by this 4 letter word jerk that lived down the block, pretty sure he dumped him 70 miles away at a football stadium, I looked for weeks and nothing, so one day I said that's it I am adopting 2 more kitten from the local shelter. My girlfriend told me that's fine, but please don't get the same colors since it would remind her of our old cats.

So I went to the SPCA with her and I had been visiting all the local shelter anyways still looking for my old cat and I spotted a Grey kitten I really liked so I picked her when we were looking and we picked this other mixed color cat but when I put the 2 near each other the mixed color cat didn't like the Grey cat, so we moved on to looking around and there he was Rocky a tiny little 3 month old jumping up and down, my girlfriend looked at me and said, I thought we were not going to get the same color cats......  The next day I had my 2 new kittens at home and I never looked back, Gracie lived rill she was 17 and rocky 19 and I miss both of them, they were the best cats I have ever owned.

So, if you see another cat you like, go meet and greet, the cat picks the human and you will know if it's right or wrong new family member for you :)  I am hoping one day when I am also ready I will find another cat with rocky personalty because it makes all the difference in the world to me !!

OW
You are so right when you say the cat picks the human. Thinking back that's how it was with all of our cats. Going to give it a little more time. Our 2 females - Angel and Tippytoes - were strays who came to our house. I don't think they will like another kitty, but they learn to tolerate each other. Angel and Tippytoes don't like each other at all and will never be friends. I think Tony was the buffer in between them, because now the 2 girls are fighting more than ever. Curious to see how they'd accept another one. I don't think Angel would like any cat, but Tippytoes might be a little better. Angel (and she's no Angel) loves men - we call her our little "hussy". She adores my husband, and had a mad crush on the guy who used to cut our grass. This guy was a giant - 6'10", but Angel loved him. Tippy was petrified of him and hid under the couch when he came into our house. It should be an interesting experience when we decide to get the third cat.