Remembering Jango (the Cat That Defied The Odds)

matts127

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found this website while browsing the internet about feline leukemia disease and thought it to be a good place to share the memory of my beloved cat that we recently had to put down, Jango (named from the bounty hunter Jango Fett in star wars due to his personality). We took him in 6 years ago as a stray the my mother has found funny enough in a little pumpkin patch in the backyard, when she saw him all skinny and frail she decided to feed him and see if he would stick around, sure enough he did. One we fed him for a week or two we decided to take him to the vet for shots and neutering. While he was at the vet they discovered through lab test that he was positive for feline leukemia; we decided to keep the poor battle worn kitty with the cute little torn ear and skinny tail even though the vet said he would be luck to make it 3 months. We took the cat in a did a lot of research on the virus and found that we could potentially give him liquid vitamin specially made for cats with this condition; sure enough we gave him the vitamins and he gained fur and weight all the way from his original 8lbs to 14lbs within a year and maintained it happily, throughout our time with him we shared many good memories, he took the role of the boss of the house, always waiting to ambush us when we walk past without noticing him, reaching for us when he wanted petting, along with leading us rite to his scratching pole to get treats whenever the opportunity presented its self. Jango was one of a kind he would always stand up like a squirrel when he wanted petting and he would always intervene if anyone raised their voice and seemed to know when something was wrong with someone and would lay there demanding attention until the person was acting normal again. We had jango for 6 years after the vet told us he had only 3 months and we made the most of every day. Unfortunately a month ago he began to decline severely and lost weight all the way to 6lbs and would not eat, we took him to the vet and all seemed ok except for a sinus infection which was reasoned to be why he was not eating (he could not smell the food). Once we got the medicine in him he ate and seemed to return to normal for a week or so until he began not eating again and losing more weight, we returned to the vet to find tragically that the cancer had activated and he had ulcers in his mouth, yellowing in the ears and kidney and liver failure (cause of the yellowing) he also now weighed a mere 5lbs; they said the most they could do was give him fluids which could not make the ulcers go away and could shock his kidneys more. They recommended putting our fur baby to sleep. After having him at home for 2 more days we decided to schedule the appointment :( . Our poor baby was put to sleep at 1:30PM Friday September 29th at the age of 9 years old. We decided to not be in the room when it happened due to the vet telling us that a different needle that is very painful would have to be put in him if we were. We told our baby Jango our goodbyes and with one more nudge to our fingers our baby went with the doctor to be sent to the rainbow bridge. Today was our 1st day without him and a very hard one, I feel bad about having him put down since he could still walk and seemed alert but he still was not his normal 14lb playful self, he would mainly sleep and shuffle around constantly as if he were uncomfortable; I just pray we did not do it too soon and he knows it was what we felt was best for him because we could not bear to watch him suffer any longer or watch it get any worse with not possible recovery in the vet's eyes as he has not eaten in 4 days and would not drink anything his last day. He will greatly be missed and is resting peacefully in our backyard right behind the swing he would always lie on. All we can hope is that he is happy wherever he is and knows we love him and did everything for the benefit of him.

R.I.P Jango you will be missed.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You prevented more suffering in that sweet boy especially seeing what his actions were just prior to that final day. My sweet Burt died a week ago today displaying all of the same symptoms, and they just get worse. When the joy of living is gone, when they are just existing, it is time. You can see it in their eyes.
Your mother saved that little boy, your care and the love you all provided gave him 6 years of happy, contented life. He would never want to see you sad because of him, he loves you too much. Love means you want the one left behind to go on into the future and find happiness and love once again, because you are secure in knowing the bond you have formed over the years can never be taken from you because it is spiritual, not physical, so eternal.
Use your precious memories to bring comfort to your broken hearts. You were with him in his heart, surrounding him with your love at the end, letting him know how loved he was and how much happiness he brought to your family, he is at peace. You will be blessed for giving this little one what he wanted the most in the world, the love of a family.
Thank you for letting us know of this sweet boy, I'll keep you all in my thoughts and prayers, take care......RIP sweet Jango, your outgoing little personality will be forever remembered by those who will never forget, may you always be standing up like a little squirrel for their attention in their hearts. You brought so much joy and happiness into their world and you thrived on the love they returned. . It is time to rest now, find that special spot of sunshine at the Rainbow Bridge to warm your tiny soul. You will always have a secure place in loving hearts. Goodnight, sleep tight, little Prince!

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you lost your beloved Jango, he sounded like a wonderful cat and you all saved his life all those years ago when you took him in, you did a great thing but unfortunately it was his time to move on, but he is pain free and happy and healthy once again, he knows that you loved him and were only trying to help him but yes the pain is terrible when we have to say solong to them, but with time and love you will slowly heal. The love and memories that you have of and with him will never die, he is alive and well in your hearts and memory, and you will see him again one day at the Rainbow Bridge.

I hope that your heart heals a bit more each day, God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sincere condolences for your loss :grouphug::grouphug: Thank you guys for bringing him in those years ago in his time of need - what wonderful people you are!

It is without question he is happy where he is, and grateful for such a grand life he was given. Easier said than done of course during the process of mourning, but please don't feel guilty!

Many hugs and love from all of us :hugs:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

matts127

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the kind words, thoughts and prayers. This definitely seems to be an amazing community of cat lovers and I am glad I decided to join the site. It is comforting knowing he is no longer suffering or hungry and that it seems we made the right decision as well it was a hard one to make and it has been a hard day or two without him but he will always greatly be missed but most importantly he'll always be remembered. We knew in his final days it was bad; it is just hard making the decision but we are happy it was for the better and that he does not have to suffer just so he could be around us for a few days longer he definitely was not the ball of energy he was before he became ill. It is sad to hear that burt passed from the same situation and symptoms, I am sure you all have many memories of him that will last a lifetime as well as hopefully we can have some peace knowing none of our fur babies are suffering any more.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your Jango lived much more than he could have done and this thanks to you that gave him all the meds and treatments needed for his FeLV, but mainly you gave him love, much love, a sea of love.
You gave him a chance of life when you adopted him from your orchard. His life was at a turning point and you gave him the right turn.
He was as strong as his love for you and he knows that you did what we think as the most horrible thing to save him from more suffering and pain.
He was wasting away and this wasn't fair to him.
Be proud for giving him a much longer life that destiny had set aside for him.
Now Jango is at the Rainbow Bridge, watching over you just like you watched over him for 6 years. And he's waiting for you while playing with so many other kitties who were in pain and now are free and happy.
Hugs to you and your family!

matts127

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your Jango lived much more than he could have done and this thanks to you that gave him all the meds and treatments needed for his FeLV, but mainly you gave him love, much love, a sea of love.
You gave him a chance of life when you adopted him from your orchard. His life was at a turning point and you gave him the right turn.
He was as strong as his love for you and he knows that you did what we think as the most horrible thing to save him from more suffering and pain.
He was wasting away and this wasn't fair to him.
Be proud for giving him a much longer life that destiny had set aside for him.
Now Jango is at the Rainbow Bridge, watching over you just like you watched over him for 6 years. And he's waiting for you while playing with so many other kitties who were in pain and now are free and happy.
Hugs to you and your family!
Thank you for this; and thank you to everyone it truly means alot and I am glad he was able to pass with dignity and not suffering, I am sure he is happy where he is looking down on us and this gives us more peace that he knows he is loved still and missed greatly, I do now definitely believe it was a better choice then him wasting away further and suffering.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Jango, dream you deep. You walk in your family's hearts forever.

After a life of quiet desperation, Jango had six years of heaven on earth. He was loved and cared for and cherished, right up until the very last moment. And he knew, OH HE KNEW! And does still. Love never dies, it only changes form. He is with you still.

matts127

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to thank everyone that took time to reply to this it truly means alot for me and my mother after loosing our jango, it is not an easy process loosing a cat that was part of life for so long but when you have a group of people such as those on this site it makes it easier to know he is resting peacefully and we did what was right. I cannot thank you all enough for the kind words; it truly means alot.