Remember the thread about stupid names?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago when I was in grade 12 there was a girl in my class who came from the Philippines. Her Mother had a large number of children and had given birth yet again to a boy. Their last name was "Ola". They named the poor baby "Cocac". So the poor kid was saddled with the name:

Cocac Ola

I just don't understand people sometimes.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Years ago when I was in grade 12 there was a girl in my class who came from the Philippines. Her Mother had a large number of children and had given birth yet again to a boy. Their last name was "Ola". They named the poor baby "Cocac". So the poor kid was saddled with the name:

Cocac Ola

I just don't understand people sometimes.
I bet he was teased really bad.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 4crazycats

I bet he was teased really bad.
I imagine he was.

With celebrities they can get away with it more because chances are they have their kids in private schools where other celebrities with oddly named kids also go. So I imagine those schools probably have some kind of support group for these poor kids, LOL

However out in the real world when you are in a class with kids that have pretty "normal" names, and you have a name like "Cocac Ola" or "ESPN" or whatever else your crack smoking parents decided to name you, life can be pretty hard.

Also back when I was in high school there were 3 sisters whose parents must have been big into 1960's drugs and cults when they had kids because they named the girls after the weather that was happening at the time of their births: Rain, Sunshine and Storm.

I wasn't friends with these girls as they were in grades above and below me, but I do remember that they were razzed for their names.

About 6 years ago I saw a news clip about cults and they were discussing a a "commune" in my area and was not at all surprised to see "Sunshine" living there. Apparently she's kept up the trend of odd names and has 2 daughters named "Petal" and "Flower."

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad wanted to name my sister Starr after Bart Starr. And then, he wanted to name my brother Vince. As in Lombardi.

Let's just say my mom named those two. Emily Jeanne and Andrew Robert.

Now, I was the one kid my dad DID name and he came up with Allison Lia. THe Packers thing must not have popped into his head until later.

For me, I hate it when people seem to make up names. Or really bizarre spellings of names. Jasmine, a name that I personally do not care for, can be spelled a minimum of 200 million different ways, my least favorite being Jazmyn. Some names are adorably for little kids, but are NOT going to help in a job interview at 45, like Kaylin/Kaelin/Kaylyn or Tiffany or Brittany (God, I hate Brittany....no offense to anyone named Brittany, but the name GRATES on me). And then there's Destiny. Don't even get my started on Destiny. I had a friend named Destiny who was always called "Density" for starters. Names like Angel, Heaven, Misty....ick. They'll only end up working at a Gentleman's club.

And then there are the yuppy names. There are kids running around Lincoln Park in Chicago with names like Beatrix and Glynnis and Starla and Aviva. And then there are the Yonah's and Dov's and Guillaumes and Finnegans and Florians. These kids are lucky their parents have money, because they'll have to hang out with only other socialites to retain dignity.

Although, some yuppy names are really cool. I know girls named Fennie and Waverly and Pascale and Sarie and Sofia (that's a popular one in the money crowd) and Eleanor and Linden. I don't know many little boys (I teach flute and babysit for a family with 2 girls), but we have a Sasha that we're good friends with, and also Liam and Jonah. I like those names and they're a bit yuppy.

Whatever. My first girl is Eliza Melody and my first boy is jjjjjjjjmbggggggggggggggggg (that last one is according to Leo, but really, I kinda like Joshua Ansel)