Remember our e-reader discussion?

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since Im gonna be checking out this lending thing I downloaded the Overdrive Media Console on my phone.....soooo omg easy especially compared to downloading stuff on my computer then having to hook my phone up via usb to get the books. This little dooberwally app lets me save my library and search thru my library...Now I just need the card and Im gonna give it a whirl. So far its not to bad with the selection. There is a limited number of books availble but the waiting lists arent omg long. I just wonder how slow these other people read. LOL Im a speed reader so going thru two or three books a day is nothing for me.

Plus....once I explained this whole library lending thing to df.....he is actually ok with me wanting a Kindle now so its officially off the one day list and on the saving money for list....oh yeah woo woo!!!!!!

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

The library's books are mostly recent releases.

Now...how long do you think it will take for B&N to match the $199 price on their Color Nook?
I don't know if they will. The NookColor is a huge seller at the $249 price. If they DO reduce it, my husband may break down and get one. My DD is getting one for her birthday on Saturday.

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kailie

Ummm, chicky, I would SERIOUSLY bring it back and exchange it! My charge usually lasts at LEAST 10 days, usually closer to 2 weeks, and I read all the time! Sounds like you got a lemon.
My Mom got it in Moncton and I threw out all receipts, etc.....cause I tend to threw everything in the garbage.

When you look up the Kobo reciews on Chapters, that't the #1 complaint is they dont hold their charge that's why I never bothered calling the company or trying to get it returned. I'm definately not the only one with that problem.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

If I'm out walking Jamie and finish a book
You WALK your cat?
That's the funniest thing I've ever heard! And also the most awesome. I wonder if Boots would like that...

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momto3boys

My Mom got it in Moncton and I threw out all receipts, etc.....cause I tend to threw everything in the garbage.

When you look up the Kobo reciews on Chapters, that't the #1 complaint is they dont hold their charge that's why I never bothered calling the company or trying to get it returned. I'm definately not the only one with that problem.
Wow, I'm glad I lucked out then!

A friend at work (actually the one you went to school with) got a Kobo for her birthday and threw out the receipt. A couple months later it wouldn't boot up completely, screen would go black. She was SO worried because she's addicted to it, that they wouldn't exchange it without a receipt, but she took it in, and they had no problem giving her a replacement. Might be worth a try?

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ms. Freya

I never thought I'd lie an e-reader, but then our library leant them out to all staff to try and it was actually kind of cool. The only reason don't have one yet? They aren't cheap in Canada and ~$150 is more than our frivolities budget can handle at the moment...if the price comes down here, though, it's a definite Christmas present idea.
The basic kobo is only $109 at Wal Mart. That is where I got mine.

I have no problems with the charge on my kobo. I've had it since the beginning of August and have only charged it once, but it hasn't been used in over a month. I'm sure I need to charge it when I go to use it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by speakhandsforme

You WALK your cat?
That's the funniest thing I've ever heard! And also the most awesome. I wonder if Boots would like that...
Yep, every day. I use a dog harness and leash, because he can get out of a cat harness in a couple seconds flat. We don't go far, because he likes to hunker down and stalk birds, mice, etc., so I need reading material with me.

There are a couple of threads about harness-training cats. I'm definitely not the only member with a leash-trained cat.

Brandy, do you have the WiFi turned off when you're not downloading books? My Kindle (II) doesn't have WiFi, but the battery life isn't great with the 3G turned on; I can go a couple of weeks without recharging when it's turned off, and I read an hour or two a day, more on weekends. I notice a big difference in my smartphone's battery life when I have WiFi turned off.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't read through all this but I have a basic Nook (and I'm in Canada), so I thought I'd chime in.

I bought my Nook when I went to the states with my mom back in the spring. It was $149, but as someone else mentioned, they have dropped considerably. My reading has gone up so much that I'm reading about 5 books a week now and reading things that I probably wouldn't have picked up in the bookstore.

I will also admit that I don't pay for my books - new or old. I do download them illegally from a forum/torrent site. If it's a book from one of my favourite authors, I will buy it. If I've downloaded a newer book for free and liked it, I will buy the next book I read by that author.

I can transfer books wirelessly with my nook, but I do it mostly by plugging in it because that's pretty much the only time I charge it.

I have also browsed webpages with my nook in areas that have free wifi, the pages look a little funny because they're in b/w but it is easy to do once you get used to that.

I have also downloaded free books from the Barnes and Noble website. You just click buy, enable the wifi on your nook, go to your library and search for new content, then click on the book that you just "bought" and it will download it directly to your nook. You can also download directly to your computer, which is what I do with free books from Chapters, then plug in your nook and transfer it over.

My nook is always on (either in sleep mode or being used) and the battery still lasts for about a week. I add new books about once a week and charge it then.

For those in Canada that are thinking about getting a Nook, but are concerned about the part where they say that you can't download books to it - it's not true. You just have to register the Nook to a US address (I used the B&N store's address), then put in a credit card number and billing address (doesn't matter if it's Canadian or not). As long as the "shipping" address is American, they don't care.

So why did I go to the states and get a Nook vs the Kindle or Kobo that I could have bought here? At the time I bought it, you couldn't borrow books from the library that were in the Kindle's format. I didn't like the menu on the Kobo and I didn't like the contrast in the screen, it made my eyes tired reading it no matter what the screen size was. The Nook has/had better contrast and an easier to use menu, IMO. I still like it much more than the Kobo or the Kindle and I'm definitely very happy with my purchase.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's easy to see why the tech journalist/analyst said that the e-readers would be the hot item this Christmas!

I'm really tempted to pre-order the Fire...

On the other hand, I just booked a flight to Phoenix for next month to be present when they award the free car I'm a finalist for, and that was $400 I wasn't planning on spending.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

It's easy to see why the tech journalist/analyst said that the e-readers would be the hot item this Christmas!

I'm really tempted to pre-order the Fire...

On the other hand, I just booked a flight to Phoenix for next month to be present when they award the free car I'm a finalist for, and that was $400 I wasn't planning on spending.
Well hopefully the $400 is worth it and you win the car!!!! Good luck!!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's my wife sitting in the car this past weekend. She says it will be "her hot rod" if I win it!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I imagine there will be even more tablets being put on the market soon, so the prices might drop even more.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently have an iPad 2 and read on that. Im considering buying a kindle for my mom for christmas, but I'm not sure- can you just open any file format on a kindle the way you can in iBooks?? That's the only thing that's making me reconsider, because I have about 20,000 books on my computer that I've collected, that are in the ePub  file extension, and each time I want to read one of them I just email them to myself and open the book in iBooks...I want to be able to share my library with  my mom when I get her a kindle but I don't know if it will be possiblthat does anyone know?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kindles cannot open epub files.  Nooks can't open mobi files.  Now, you CAN get a Nook Color, install an alternate boot mini-SD card, install both the Kindle and Nook readers, and read both.

But the hot tip is probably an Android tablet that can install all the readers.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I currently have an iPad 2 and read on that. Im considering buying a kindle for my mom for christmas, but I'm not sure- can you just open any file format on a kindle the way you can in iBooks?? That's the only thing that's making me reconsider, because I have about 20,000 books on my computer that I've collected, that are in the ePub file extension, and each time I want to read one of them I just email them to myself and open the book in iBooks...I want to be able to share my library with my mom when I get her a kindle but I don't know if it will be possiblthat does anyone know?

If you do not like more your Ipad2, I know of someone who can take it...:eyebrows:

:bigwink:....jus kidding!..:lol3:

Last edited:

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kindles cannot open epub files.  Nooks can't open mobi files.  Now, you CAN get a Nook Color, install an alternate boot mini-SD card, install both the Kindle and Nook readers, and read both.

But the hot tip is probably an Android tablet that can install all the readers.
I have both the kindle app and the nook app on my ipad. Sometimes, if I am looking for a book that I can't find for free anywhere on the internet, I buy it on the kindle app...But 9/10 times I still use ibooks over both of them...Why? - You can't load your ebook files into either the nook or the kindle apps- you have to physically get the books through their stores..And the majority of the ebooks I have are sitting on my hard drive as .epub files, or I can get them as .epub or .mobi files for free somewhere online..
The only files you can load onto the kindle and nook apps are PDFs, and reading an entire ebook in PDF is not really convenient.

Before the ibooks app came along, I used this other app called "Stanza" and loaded my files onto that, because it was the only app that would allow that...

I just wasn't sure, if I get the physical Kindle or Nook, it might be different than just having the app- I might be able to upload a file that wasn't downloaded from their store and read it?? I don't know...

Last edited:

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH bought me a Kobo for Christmas last year, and I have to admit I rarely use it.  I've downloaded a couple of books, but haven't read them. (and I read constantly)  I like to just pick up a book, read what I want, then lay it down.  I'm a "spontaneous reader", for lack of a better term.  I pick up a book, read a chapter, then I'm off doing something else.  Waiting for my little machine to boot up, then having to find the book I'm reading, then having to shut it down---I can have my chapter read before I get thru all the fuss with the e-reader.  (and no, I didn't ask for one; DH did that on his own; my first thought was to take it back because I knew I wouldn't get much use out of it, but I didn't want to hurt his feelings)

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH bought me a Kobo for Christmas last year, and I have to admit I rarely use it.  I've downloaded a couple of books, but haven't read them. (and I read constantly)  I like to just pick up a book, read what I want, then lay it down.  I'm a "spontaneous reader", for lack of a better term.  I pick up a book, read a chapter, then I'm off doing something else.  Waiting for my little machine to boot up, then having to find the book I'm reading, then having to shut it down---I can have my chapter read before I get thru all the fuss with the e-reader.  (and no, I didn't ask for one; DH did that on his own; my first thought was to take it back because I knew I wouldn't get much use out of it, but I didn't want to hurt his feelings)
My kobo only takes like 30 seconds to turn on and the books I am currently reading are on the home page when you turn it on. Just click and it goes right to where you left off. I didn't use my kobo much but recently have started to and I use it almost every day now.