Remember back when the new millenium was new? 1999-2000

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't even believe 2009 was a decade ago, let alone how long the millennium was! I was 15 and remember truly feeling an important part of the history. Also remember believing I was going to get taller in the following years. I was wrong.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for your service!

Seriously!
Thanks! I was working for a private company, and nothing as big as keeping planes in the sky, but it did keep things running for our customers. :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I still have the Y2K pamphlet the Red Cross distributed to help us prepare for the potential Y2K chaos. It’s hysterical. The only thing I did on Y2K eve was to make a quick stop at the grocery store. But there were some great sights. On the way I went past a gas station where a guy with a flat bed truck was filling BARRELS with gas. Gas pumps wouldn’t work of course after the 2000 computer meltdown. And at the grocery store there was an older gentleman in full military camo helping his wife shop. You could just tell this guy had a gun somewhere on him in case food riots broke out. I think me them were the only people in the store.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I was working for a private company, and nothing as big as keeping planes in the sky, but it did keep things running for our customers. :)
Every little bit helps. I think that was the key part, is that a few people started barking and got the big dogs to pay attention. 20 years can go by awful fast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With friends of my generation we used to wonder if we were going to make it, i.e. be there for the year 2000!!! Twenty years later am still here :) Sadly though I only have one friend left from my youthful days. She is a few months older than I.
We here on CS (along with Sombra) are certainly glad you're here!

Happy New Year!

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad was a computer programmer and I remember getting him this stuffed Y2K bug that when you hit it made a crashing noise.

He may still have it, but idk if it still works.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We stayed home with our then-kitten, Jamie, who'd already been through a very frightening hurricane, Lothar, on Boxing Day. We spent most of the evening on a blanket behind the sofa because it was the only place he felt safe from the fireworks.

I recall watching some international news broadcasts in the afternoon to learn whether the Y2K bug had affected Australasia.