Remarkable hunting abilities

dunnyboy69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't usually wander over to the 'Behaviour' part of the site as my two cats are a feral and a stray. However, this is definitely a behaviour topic!
Over recent months, a number of people around the farm where I live have reported seeing a stoat in the area and have commented on it killing a number of red legged partridges, in addition to the usual supply of rabbits. By all accounts, the stoat is quite the hunter, killing things many times its size.
So, imagine my surprise this Saturday afternoon when I found the stoat dead but perfectly intact in my garden, about 10 feet from my back door. I wondered why Rudi, my stray (but adopted) cat had been so vocal - he was clearly trying to get my attention to go and look at his catch.
Rabbits, mice, moles and voles ... and now stoats. This is quality vermin hunting! I'm almost tempted to put him up for 'services for hire'.
Has anyone else's cat done similar? I'm torn between being as proud as punch of him (particularly as he doesn't have a scratch on him) and dreading what will come next ....

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Jack has brought in partridge, grouse and once a full grown Mallard duck - he is the only cat big enough to have gotten a duck. Zabbie is the pigeon killer supreme, or was, since they rarely come here now.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's pretty formidable prey. We had a tiny tuxie named ZsaZsa who managed to kill (and drag home) a marten that was twice her size. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I wonder if they find them dead of other causes (hit by a car, perhaps) and drag them home and claim they did it
. The indoor/outdoor cat we had when I was a teenager had full-grown rabbits a couple times. He was a tough cat but I still think he found them in the road!