Relocating a feral

Polka and Dot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I've been feeding a colony for three years. Within the last 2 months, two of my three cats have mysteriously disappeared. Want to relocate the remaining cat before he meets a similar fate. Any suggestions on how to bring him home and help him adjust to life in my yard? He's very comfortable with me - petting, purring, etc.

Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
A few things come to mind; Rose gloves will help in case he becomes frightened. Do you have a trap so you can safely transport him? Will you be getting him to the vet?

Will he be going in the house at first? A small room is best so he can acclimate without having too much area and space to deal with.

If outside, you'll want an enclosure/catio.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I've been feeding a colony for three years. Within the last 2 months, two of my three cats have mysteriously disappeared. Want to relocate the remaining cat before he meets a similar fate. Any suggestions on how to bring him home and help him adjust to life in my yard? He's very comfortable with me - petting, purring, etc.

Thank you!
You need to keep him inside for a few weeks first so he gets to know that this is his new house/property. Otherwise they often leave so I have been told.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If he's very friendly you might be able to bring him home inside a carrier. If you can get a side or front loading carrier, rather than one that loads from the top, you can put some food inside and wait until he goes in, then close the door. Bring a blanket to cover the carrier with while he's inside. Cats feel much safer that way.

Do you have any kind of shelter in your yard? A shed or garage? Otherwise you'll need to provide him with a shelter. You could try making him a catio to live in, then let him have the whole yard to explore once he's settled in. I kept one of my rescues in a dog kennel in a fenced off corner while she settled in. There are some super fancy catios around, if you Google you'll get some ideas

Happy'sHouse6_R.jpg

He will need to be contained for at least the first month to make sure he doesn't try and go back to where you picked him up though.