religious beliefs in marriage

aphrodeia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by shengmei

For thousands of years people have lived well without an intense understanding of religions and cultures.

An apt understanding of all world religions is not a perequisite for a good life.
Neither is religion a prerequisite for a good life. But many people have it, anyway.

The need for understanding of world religions is vital in communities and relationships so diverse as the ones we have today. Once upon a time, small villages stuck to themselves, and communities worshipped entirely together. The people who disagreed were shunned, or in some extreme cases, killed. Nowadays, the world is a whole lot bigger. People network in ways they couldn't just fifty years ago, forming relationships with people of drastically different backgrounds, upbringings, faiths, and races. The only way we can continue to grow as people, without dividing ourselves against one another, is through understanding.

alaynna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My family was never religious and I never went to church growing up, but my husband, Jason, had it totally different.

His father was and still is the Deacon of the church, so he grew up in a very religious family. When he was growing up he would go to church on Sunday's for Liturgy and then on Wed. for Vespers every week. And during Lent it would be Monday, Wed., Fri and Sunday's.

I didn't start going to church until Jason and I started dating. I really enjoyed going and before we got married I was baptised for the first time into the Catholic Faith. We are a Melkite Greek Catholic church, and I love going there. Luckily we have the same views on religion, so there won't be any conflict regarding that.