Relapse? Fighting against fatty liver disease.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicolefrank117

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I consider this so far another successful day for Sabby!

Came home to NO puke.. and she ate ALL of her wet food I left for her. :) 

Gave her all her evening meds when I got home through the tube and she has kept them down so far. Waiting to see if she eats again. 

nicolefrank117

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Each day was going perfectly until about 10 am when Sabbath threw up her tube! Yep it came out her mouth and she was choking on it. What was hanging out she chewed most of it off by the time we made it to the vet. They had to remove it. Since she has been doing so well keeping food down and eating on her own they did not put a new one in. Both of our vets were not in today but the vet we got was good. I am just so grateful that I was off of work today when this all happened. My husband is leaving to go out of town today and thank god he hadn't left yet as I was freaking out and could not have done this alone.

With no tube we told them it would be very difficult to get all these meds into her. So they said to stop the famotidine and vitamin k. They told us the most important meds to get into her are the prednisolone steroid because of inflammation but most importantly because she can't stop it cold turkey or she will get sick. So they crushed that up and put it into that syrup stuff so I can give it to her by mouth with the syringe (ugh). The 2nd most important is the ursodiol which is already made up into liquid. 3rd is the pill form of  metoclopramide/reglan since it has been helping her with the ileus etc. They said if we can try to get int he denamarin and the metronidazole (antibiotic) in to do so. However she is almost done with all her meds except the reglan as that one is new. Today would actually be 2 weeks since the tube was put in and Monday would be her follow up check up. She has enough meds to get her through Monday. They will re do her blood work and see where she stands to figure out what to do with her meds wise when we bring her back in then. 

I am NOT looking forward to forcing meds down her throat again. I think she is very happy though to no longer have the bandages and tube. The minute she came home she rubbed her cheek on the table and other furniture because for the last 2 weeks she hasn't been able to. :) she also has eaten a few times since we brought her home so she still wants to eat. I just hope the forcing of the meds doesn't begin to stress her out again. 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG how scary!!  I'm glad she's OK, and her eating on her own a little is very hopeful.  I understand why they are demanding certain meds, but fair warning:  metronidazole is some of the most foul tasting medicine I have ever experienced.  That one may not go over well.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had someone here that had this happen to her kitty twice.  The first time her kitty still wasn't eating so it was replaced.  

My vet cut up the metro and put it in empty gel caps so he couldn't taste it.  Yea, that stuff is very bitter there will be a lot of foaming at the mouth and drooling.

nicolefrank117

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

OMG how scary!!  I'm glad she's OK, and her eating on her own a little is very hopeful.  I understand why they are demanding certain meds, but fair warning:  metronidazole is some of the most foul tasting medicine I have ever experienced.  That one may not go over well.
Yah my goal is to get the prednisolone steroid into her because I don't want her getting sick from stopping it suddenly. They said we need to ease her off that one or she will get ill. Not to mention it could still be working towards the inflammation she may still have. They said it could also help if the tube incident cause any other inflammation as well. They said she will still be on that one even after the 2 week check up on Monday.

Then they said the ursodiol is important for her liver. They said that might even be one our vet might want to keep her on after her 2 week check up as well. It helps increase bile flow so the liver does not build up toxins.

The metoclopramide/reglan is the newest of her medications. It has been keeping the ileus from making her vomit and has been keeping everything in her digestive system flowing properly. They said they might not keep her in this one as it might not be needed anymore but for now to try to keep giving it to her if I can. It is a pill form. So hopefully she will keep it down.

The   metronidazole is important but the other 3 are a bigger concern to me. Especially the first two. She has been on the  metronidazole antibiotic for 2 weeks and there is only a little bit of it left. If I can get it into her I will but it's not on the top of the list. They have that one mixed in that syrup as well to administor by syringe but we all know even so that never goes smoothly. 

nicolefrank117

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

We had someone here that had this happen to her kitty twice.  The first time her kitty still wasn't eating so it was replaced.  

My vet cut up the metro and put it in empty gel caps so he couldn't taste it.  Yea, that stuff is very bitter there will be a lot of foaming at the mouth and drooling.
The hard thing with the capsules is one time she bit into one and that was nightmare. And that was only the marin supplement.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry about the setbacks. Sending lots of vibes that Sabbath continues to eat on her own! 

Last edited:

nicolefrank117

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I'm sorry about the setbacks. Sending lots of vibes that Sabbath continues to eat on her own! 

Thank you. She does atleast seem more comfortable without the bandages and tube. Hopefully she continues to eat and everything continues to stay on track. I hope her next check up goes well. I am so nervous that these recent set backs are going to effect things. She does seem more lively too. Fingers crossed. Wish me luck giving her meds tonight. My husband is gone now out of town.. just me to give them to her. Sure be loads of fun.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Let us know how it goes. It may go well. Sabbath's is a good mood since she decided to take that dastardly tube out herself.

nicolefrank117

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well she threw up all the meds.. started off with the usual drooling and spitting and before you knew it she was gagging and throwing up.

She was fine all day.. eating on her own numerous times and then she takes her meds and instantly vomits everything up. All I attempted to giver her was the steroid and the reglan. I didn't even get to the antibiotic (that tastes worse).

She ran off and was hiding after she threw up. I gave her a treat (which she devoured) and told her I was sorry. I just feel aweful doing this to her anymore.

I offered her 1/4 of a 3 oz can of wet food and she devoured it. Now 1/2 hour later and she is in the kitchen eating kibble.

My husband thinks we she just let her be. Let her keep eating on her own and stop shoving meds and things down her throat making her sick and causing her discomfort. My biggest concern is not being able to get this steroid in her if she is suppose to be weaned off of it. 

Maybe it's time to let nature take its course seeing she is eating on her own. We are even debating on the Monday check up visit. It's gotten to the point we can't even afford groceries for ourselves with all these vet bills and meds. We are at our wits end and have tried everything we possibly could.

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like you are at the end of the line with vet care financially.  I certainly understand that I have been there as well.  I don't normally like the shots that stay in the system for a long time but there is a long acting steroid shot.  It's called depo medrol, I don't know if you are in a position to get something like that but I thought I would let you know about it.

nicolefrank117

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

It sounds like you are at the end of the line with vet care financially.  I certainly understand that I have been there as well.  I don't normally like the shots that stay in the system for a long time but there is a long acting steroid shot.  It's called depo medrol, I don't know if you are in a position to get something like that but I thought I would let you know about it.
Do you know how long it stays in their system? I know the doctor wanted to wean her off of it but I can't even get it down her without her throwing it up or spitting it out. So weaning might not even happen which scares me. I guess the up side is that through all of this she has had vomiting episodes on and off so she probably hasn't had a consistent dosage of the steroid EVERY single day since she was prescribed it but she has still gotten some of it.

On the plus side this morning I gave her 1/4 of a 3 oz can of wet food and she almost all of it again. She devoured it actually. She's a messy eater when it comes to wet food. :) She gets it eventually spread all over the plate ha ha. But she ate pretty much all of it. She has since ate some kibble and even has been drinking from their water fountain. I am getting nervous though as I have not seen her BM in the litter box. She did however throw up alot with the tube incident and then threw up all her food with her meds when I tried to give them to her so that could explain why she might not have gone yet. Just watching her as closely as I can. She has not vomited at all since the last time I tried to give her meds so I am letting her have a break from them. She has been laying around the house, purring, eating and acting really good. So once again I am at a loss of what I should do. You are right I am at the end of the financial portion. To the point if she does pass I don't even know how we would pay to have her cremated etc. I have almost maxed out the Care Credit and still have no clue how we are gonna pay it back when the first bill comes.

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'd give this a try. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It actually stays in the system for several months but the therapeutic level doesn't last that long.  I think how often it is given depends on the condition that it is given for.  For allergies I have seen it usually given monthly, for stomatitis every 2 or 3 months, for rodent ulcers usually ever 2 or 3 weeks.  I would think that a shot that then slowly works it's way out of the system would naturally taper off the steroid.

nicolefrank117

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

It actually stays in the system for several months but the therapeutic level doesn't last that long.  I think how often it is given depends on the condition that it is given for.  For allergies I have seen it usually given monthly, for stomatitis every 2 or 3 months, for rodent ulcers usually ever 2 or 3 weeks.  I would think that a shot that then slowly works it's way out of the system would naturally taper off the steroid.
Yah I am wondering if the are wanting to keep her on it that long though. Its definitely worth mentioning. I am nervous she hasn't gotten any of the reglan or ursodiol in either. Atleast she is still eating on her own and eating normal amounts.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yah I am wondering if the are wanting to keep her on it that long though. Its definitely worth mentioning. I am nervous she hasn't gotten any of the reglan or ursodiol in either. Atleast she is still eating on her own and eating normal amounts.
When we give steroids, the adrenal glands decrease production of steroids.  When we stop giving steroids abruptly, the cat can go into Addisonian crisis (potentially lethal).  This is why we taper the meds, to give the adrenals time to adjust and increase production.  I'd MUCH rather go with a heavy steroid shot and figure a way to increase natural production than drop into an Addisonian crisis.  Not trying to scare you, I'm hoping to explain what's going on for yur own understanding.

nicolefrank117

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

When we give steroids, the adrenal glands decrease production of steroids.  When we stop giving steroids abruptly, the cat can go into Addisonian crisis (potentially lethal).  This is why we taper the meds, to give the adrenals time to adjust and increase production.  I'd MUCH rather go with a heavy steroid shot and figure a way to increase natural production than drop into an Addisonian crisis.  Not trying to scare you, I'm hoping to explain what's going on for yur own understanding.
Yah I was researching all of that last night on the computer. That is why I am so nervous. I have tried to give it to her and she is throwing it up. So I am not sure how much of it she is ingesting into her system. I am hoping the vet will be good to us money wise on Monday so we can actually even do the  2 week check up. I am going to have to let them know and see what they suggest.  

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending many warm vibes!  If she's eating, that sounds like a good sign.

nicolefrank117

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Sending many warm vibes!  If she's eating, that sounds like a good sign.
Yah she's been eating a lot and all on her own. She even takes little trips to the kitchen and gets dry kibble out of no where in between the wet can feedings. She also eats her treats and keeps them down as well.