Relapse? Fighting against fatty liver disease.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicolefrank117

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update on Sabby...

She is still doing ok. About the same as last time as far as how she is acting and vitals and things. 

Last night they did the “procedure” to stimulate her to get her to go to the bathroom and got some stool out. They gave her a stool softener and this morning she pooped in the litter box on her own. So that's good to know she is finally getting some of that backed up stool out of her. Not sure if I mentioned this before or not but it was not backed up into her stomach or anything. It was at the end of her colon so this hopefully will be a jump start to get her going normally again.

They are still syringe feeding her and have her on the iv etc. She hasn’t touched any wet food in the cage but she tried to nibble at some dry food. But she did the usual thing she does where she wants to eat but then can’t bring herself to do it (poor baby). So the vet got to see it firsthand. I am actually shocked to attempted the dry over the wet. She is use to always eating dry and normally turns down wet food but she has had no interest in it since she has gotten sick. The wet a/d critical care is the only thing we can get her to somewhat eat. Gives me hope that we might be able to still feed her (good) dry food once she gets better. Of course it will have to be grain free basic sensitive stomach type food and not the junk food Friskies they gave her at the vet.  

We agreed to let them do the feeding tube surgery. She assured me that this surgery is not as invasive as other surgeries. It's also rather a quick surgery. She also should be feeling ok as far as her neck and pain and in a couple of days and not for weeks etc. She said a litter box on the bottom floor for the next few days is probably a good idea so she doesn’t have to struggle to get upstairs.

She told me that had she started to gobble up some food these past couple of days after giving her the iv of nutrients and fluids she would be a little hesitant to do the surgery. However she is still the same as far as eating. She also told me that without this surgery it would only be a matter of time before we lost her. This atleast is worth trying to see if we can get her better. The fact that she is still even attempting to WANT to eat is a good sign to me as well. I know some animals that are dieing don't even care to eat anything. So I feel better that we decided to do it. They are going to show us how to feed her through the tube when we go to pick her up after work. I have been watching some videos on Youtube and I am actually feeling a bit better about the tube. At first I had some negative thoughts about it but it looks so much less stressful on both the cat and the owner then the syringe feedings and the shoving of pills down the throat that we have been doing for weeks now. 

The vet is going to call me later this afternoon with an update. I just can’t wait to go pick her up and bring her home. I miss her so much.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet did the same thing with Patches.  He was hooked up to an IV, given medication for nausea, and syringe fed for 2 or 3 days to see if they could get him to eat on his own.  She then put in the feeding tube, worked him up to full feedings and then he came home.  The first couple of days I did have to cut 2 feedings short because he started gagging.  I thought it would be better for him to have a partial feeding that stayed down then try to get the whole feeding down and everything came back up.

I get the kibble thing.  Right now the goal is just to get her to eat.  I had Patches in the bedroom with the door closed while he had the feeding tube and I have another cat.  I didn't want something to happen with the feeding tube and the other kitty.  Also my other kitty is the one that does the hissing thing when Patches as vet smell on him.  He didn't need anything more stressing him.  Anyway I left a little kibble down for him all the time while he had the tube just so if he decided he wanted to eat there was something there for him.

Last edited:

nicolefrank117

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am glad to see that my vet is on the right track and we are doing the right thing. I really really appreciate everyone's answers and support on here that helped us go in the proper direction with all of this. It also makes me feel better as if we are going in the right direction with things.

I was thinking about putting her in her own room while she has the feeding tube but she tends to get upset when we close her in a room and shut the door. She starts to scratch at the door. So I am wondering if I will have to lock the other cat up. She sleeps in our bedroom all day anyways. Hmmm. That is something to definitely think about. But I also know she won't be too happy either. I will have to see how they are when we bring her home. The last time Sabbath stayed at the vet Ichabod was there with her. They were kittens and they were getting fixed. That's how long it's been since we have had to leave her at the vet. That is why I have so many questions and felt so terrible about leaving her. I guess I am lucky that in the 12 years we have not had to bring them in for anything else major. 

nicolefrank117

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We brought Sabbath home last night. Her surgery went well. They went over all her meds and how to feed her through the tube before we left. When we opened up her crate to let her out she didn’t know where to run to first or what to do. Then she realized she was home and started to purr. She was still wobbly and out of it from the anesthesia and being hospitalized for the last few nights. We set up a 2nd litter box for her on the lower level of our house so that away she doesn’t have to struggle going up and down the stairs. The little **** still attempts it though. She about gave us a heart attack because she feels the need to still jump up and off of our bed and couch.

My long memorial day weekend is going to be a majority of being by Sabbath’s side to assure she is ok and getting her all the care she needs. I had to write out a daily log of her meds and times of her feedings to keep it all together. There is a lot to keep track of and each day the feedings increase gradually. The meds have to be taken at different times (crushed, mixed, syringed) etc. The vet made it so that since we will be off work all weekend including Monday (due to the holiday) that its a set amount and schedule and then starting on Tuesday when we are back at work it adjusts accordingly. She is very cooperative and purrs while I do it. I usually pet and talk to her during the whole process. It is a lot to take in so I am doing my best not to get overwhelmed or stressed and be the best Mommy I can be to her. Ichabod has been confused since she came home. Distancing herself and hissing at her. She smells the vet on her. Sabbath is trying to adjust to everything. The good thing is she has been purring ALOT since she has been home.

Last night we were nervous so we locked Sabbath in the bedroom with us. We put the extra litter box and some food and water in the room so she had everything she needed. She wanted to sleep on our bed. Then gave us a heart attack again when she decided to jump off the bed instead of taking the safe way we built up for her on the side of the bed (blankets, pillows and things to help her get down easily). I don’t think either of us really slept. Every time she moved Frank and I would shoot up in bed to see if she was ok. The hard thing is she eventually wanted out of the room and started to scratch at the door early this morning. I had to put a laundry basket in front of the door and then she went in her cat bed and laid down. 

The good thing is so far her medication and feedings have been successful with no vomiting which is a BIG deal! She is laying next to me purring on the couch right now. I can tell she is feeling a little less out of it but she is still very jumpy at the slightest sound of anything. Still no eating or attempting to eat on her own but I think that is pretty understandable right now.  As hard as this is going to be, and despite the insane bills we just added to our debt I am so glad we brought her back in and we are doing all we can to try to save my baby girl.

We go back to the vet Tuesday for a complimentary bandage changing. Our vet won't be there but she recommended the name of her co-worker who has a lot of experience with feeding tubes and cats so we are to ask for her when we come in. Then next Friday on her 1 week mark we do the same thing but our vet will be there. She wants to examine her and do blood work again to see if there is any changes. Fingers crossed.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad she is home and things are going well.  It sounds like she is a lot more active then Patches was at the beginning which I think is a good sign.

nicolefrank117

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yah there are times I am on the couch and she is on the floor and she looks up at me and then the couch and then gives me the eye like.. ok I want up there. I am trying to pick her up and put her up here instead of her jumping and hurting herself or the tube come out. The stairs also seem like a struggle for her. She will be at the bottom of them and looking up them and just starring. We realized that is her way of contemplating going up them. So if we catch her we have been picking her up and bringing her upstairs. Then there are times we turn our back for a minute and realize she is no downstairs with us. Freaks me the hell out. She is pretty much just laying around for the most part. But she is coming to me from time to time to rub up against me and then lays down. She seems very happy to be home. 

The thing I am the happiest about is she is keeping the food and meds down with these first 2 feedings in the tube. She gets more at 6pm. Fingers crossed. 

nicolefrank117

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet said she kept down her feedings there as well :)

nicolefrank117

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It breaks my heart every time I look at her with this on her neck but I remind myself this is getting her the meds and nutrition she needs to fight this!!!

Also does anyone have any advice as far as cleaning a cat? Since she has been sick I have been using baby wipes (unscented/hypoallergenic) to sortof wipe her down and to clean up her face after the syringe feedings. They seem to be working out decently. Well now that she has this on her neck I think she is having trouble cleaning her bottom. Ugh. And the vet did an enema on her and I think the lube is a bit stuck on her fur in places down there. Any suggestions on how to clean her without freaking her out??? 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the jolly rogers blanket. 

What about plain water or saline solution on a clean rag?  I personally would be afraid of any chemicals on a cat with an impaired liver.  If you have to actually pour some over her bottom to clean her, maybe warm it a little bit first?  I know I'd freak if cold water was splashed on me down there.

nicolefrank117

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I love the jolly rogers blanket. 

What about plain water or saline solution on a clean rag?  I personally would be afraid of any chemicals on a cat with an impaired liver.  If you have to actually pour some over her bottom to clean her, maybe warm it a little bit first?  I know I'd freak if cold water was splashed on me down there.
I might just have to try that. She is getting more food into her now and so her bm's are getting bigger.. which is a good sign. The only thing is they are still soupy like her food. Not sure if this is normal due to the consistancy of her diet. I know they gave her a stool softener when she was hospitalized because she was constipated. How long do those usually stay in their system though? She is also on a lot of meds. The downfall of this is that she can't clean herself and we had a nice little mess on our bed sheets today. Nothing big just a liquidy spot but I knew right away what it was from and cleaned her. I just don't think I am cleaning her well enough. A friend suggested asking the vet on Tuesday if they can shave the hair by her bottom until she is better. I guess they did that for one of her cats who got sick and stopped cleaning herself. The shaving helped her to be able to wipe the cat easier. The fur seems to be the hardest part to get clean as it dries to it and then your trying to clean it and she is kicking. 

A good sign this morning though..... we locked her in our bedroom with us again last night. Want to still keep an eye on her since we can't hear her if she is downstairs when we are in bed. She laid quietly in her spot most of the night. It is a spot we have made up so its easy for her to lay on or use it to get up and down off the bed. I set her there last night and she got comfortable and we were more comfortable as well. The night before we were so scared we were going to kick or roll over on her when she was in bed with us. Well about 4:30 - 5:00 she thinks its time to get up apparently. I was awaken by this odd noise. I sat up and it was her trying to attempt to pick up and crunch the dry food we leave out all night for her. I woke my husband up I was so thrilled. It wasn't much but she tried. She then got in bed with us and then was bored after a while and got down and wanted out of the room.. scratching at the door. That is when I noticed the small stain on the sheet. Luckily it wasn't near neither of us. ha ha. I looked over and that is when I realized she had a decent bowl movement in the litter box.. mushy but it was a bowl movement and it was not hard as a rock. I got up and cleaned her off. 

Around 6:00am I went into the kitchen to prepare her syringes of meds and food. Have to increase today from the 14ml every 6 hours to 28 ml every six hours. She actually came into the kitchen and was meowing at me. I offered her some dry food and she put her head in the bowl to nibble but no success but she TRIED! I then proceeded with her tube feedings. Another successful one with no vomit. She didn't purr as much but purred from time to time. 

I am trying to stay positive as signs of progress are definitely there. Hopefully I can get this cat butt under control though.:)  I am nervous to put her in the tub or sink cause of her bandages and tube. I am also nervous she might develop something worse if her behind doesn't stay clean.. especially since she is a girl.

Another thing.. how long did it take your other cats to realize your cat was not a new cat .. that she was the same cat that just came home from the vet. I am concerned about her cause Ichabod is still hissing at her. 

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like she is feeling better.  

With just an ordinary vet visit it takes Alice about 3 days to feel comfortable with Patches.  It took much longer after he was hospitalized.  I could smell the vet on Patches when he first came home so I know it freaked Alice out.  I kept Patches in a separate room until he got the feeding tube out.  By then though Alice was really upset with Patches, I ended up getting one of those large wire dog crates for Patches so they could be in the same room without actually being together.  I would put Alice in the closed bedroom a couple of times a day and let Patches out of the cage.  It took well over a week that time.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Hopefully I can get this cat butt under control though.:) 
When our cat was going through leakage problems (constipation and enema), I went out to the local charity shops and Value Village to buy sheets, blankets, and towels for a few dollars so when she did go on our bed, it wasn't the good or favourite bedding that stood the chance of being destroyed. A waterproof-topped mattress pad will help as well.

nicolefrank117

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

When our cat was going through leakage problems (constipation and enema), I went out to the local charity shops and Value Village to buy sheets, blankets, and towels for a few dollars so when she did go on our bed, it wasn't the good or favourite bedding that stood the chance of being destroyed. A waterproof-topped mattress pad will help as well.
Ahh yah we actually already have a waterproof mattress pad due to the hairballs and vomiting in the past so got that part is covered. Great suggestion! This morning I wiped it up right away and a quick sheet change was all that was needed. Just glad we didn't lay in it ha ha. I took an older sheet we don't care so much about and put it over the entire bed along with some towels. That away during the day we don't have to worry about if she gets on the bed. I know she likes to be on it. I took our comforter/blankets and set them aside that away at night we just need to put them back on when we go to bed and remove the crappy sheet. 

Did your cat clean herself? So you didn't have to worry so much about that part? So the leakage is probably what I am seeing that is on her anus? I was concerned about that as well but it would make sense. 

nicolefrank117

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

It sounds like she is feeling better.  

With just an ordinary vet visit it takes Alice about 3 days to feel comfortable with Patches.  It took much longer after he was hospitalized.  I could smell the vet on Patches when he first came home so I know it freaked Alice out.  I kept Patches in a separate room until he got the feeding tube out.  By then though Alice was really upset with Patches, I ended up getting one of those large wire dog crates for Patches so they could be in the same room without actually being together.  I would put Alice in the closed bedroom a couple of times a day and let Patches out of the cage.  It took well over a week that time.
It's been nice that this all happened before a long weekend so I can observe things and be with her all day. Tuesday we go back to work so I am considering putting Sabbath in the bedroom before we leave for work so that I don't worry about her (as much). At least then during the day when we get home we can check the litter pan and the food and water and see if she attempted anything. Also if she makes a mess of herself atleast it will all be in one room and not all over the house. I know she will hate us for it but we will then let her out when we get home to roam the house when we are there to monitor her. My concern is if she is in a room and wants out she attempts to head butt and paw at the bottom of the door and I am concerned about her tube. She started to do that this morning so I put some laundry baskets of clothes in front of the door and went back to bed. Then she tried to push them out of the way.. and then got in them and thought she could get the door open by scratching at the sides. Hopefully she will relax and just sleep most of the day. Then we get home from work we can take her out, do her afternoon feeding, meds and most likely have to clean her up. She can then hang out in the house the rest of the evening until we go to bed. I am just waiting though for her to catch on to the routine and fight us when we go to put her in there.  just want her to be safe as far as the tube and with the other cat. I want Ichabod to not be stressed as well because she has to be so confused. Right now I think the bandages where the tube is covered smells like the vet. So even if she doesn't anymore she is pretty much wearing a "vet collar" :) Ichabod hasn't smacked at her or tried to attack her but she has been still hissing. When I am home I notice Sabbath will go lay down in one part of the house and Ichabod goes and lays in the other. Its only when the cross paths that she stares at her and hisses. I have to tell her to stop and then she runs off. Sabbath is so confused and timid because of it. I feel so bad for her. 

I want them to still roam the house together when we are home to watch them so they don't develop a complex towards each other. I would hate for Sabbath to get better and then stop eating again because Ichabod is stressing her out. The thing that stinks is returning every 3 days to the vet for the bandage changes. Sabbath is going to smell like the vet each time we bring her home even if Ichabod starts to get use to her. 

Speaking of bandages... are changing them yourself difficult? We get 3 complimentary ones and then afterwards we have to pay for them. 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shaving might be a good idea.  It certainly beats distressing the cat multiple times a day or scrubbing her little parts raw.  I would much more concerned about that tube/bandages getting wet than a bacterial infection "back there."  Ask the vet to be sure, but I'd rather give an antibiotic later for a vaginal infection rather than give antibiotics for an infection that began at the suture site and went into the body.

You're being a good cat mom, so keep hanging in there!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn't change the bandages myself.  I would think if you are going to be doing it that the vet would let you watch when she does it.  I wouldn't think it would be too difficult especially with two of you doing it.  

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Did your cat clean herself? So you didn't have to worry so much about that part? So the leakage is probably what I am seeing that is on her anus? I was concerned about that as well but it would make sense. 
No, the cat did not clean herself during this event. We didn't shave but did do a lot of clipping because she is a long hair to make the area easier to clean. We used baby wipes to pull off and wipe to get as much of the residual mess as we could, then would used old face clothes and warm water. The vet receptionist gave us some organic pet shampoo but we never had to use it.