Reintroduction After Spaying Advice Needed

govtlawyer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lucy, my 7 month old Maine Coon got spayed yesterday.  She is currently at the vets recuperating.  I need some advice on how to best reintroduce her to my 8 year old Sparky.  They both live with me in a small studio apartment.  The only room I can put one into, to separate them, is a small bathroom.  When I originally introduced them I kept her in the bathroom for a day or two and did the scent swapping and feeding on either side of the door.  

Sparky does not get along too well with Lucy.  He is an ornery guy and a bit unpredictable.  I got Lucy at 3 months and it has not been particularly smooth.  This is regrettable since I got her to replace his older brother who passed 3 months earlier.  I wanted her to provide companionship.  They have many moments in which he is completely oblivious to her and leaves her alone.  He can walk right next to her and not care.  When they eat they are 4 or 5 feet apart and he does not seem to care about her.  I can play with them both at the same, with birds on wands and they even bump into each other as they try to catch them.  Sometimes they are both found on my couch sleeping no more than 2 feet apart.  Other times he chases her around the apartment, up and down the cat tree and if he catches her he wrestles her and seems to bite her neck.  She struggles away.  Sometimes, she turns around and jumps him.  Other times she lies on her back in a submissive posture.  Often, without any apparent provocation he charges her and swats at her and hisses or screeches.  Yet, after a lunge at her he retreats.  

He has never expressed any real hateful violence towards her.  No blood has ever been shed or fur gone flying.  I am not sure if what they do is rough play or what.  She at times stands right up to him, as when she will charge him and jump him (I’ve witnessed this 1/2 dozen times) and other times seems wary of him.  She might choose to walk across the room via the couch if he is laying down in front of it.  She’ll sometimes walk behind him warily.  Yet, she is getting much bigger and as she does she seems more courageous.  In short, while I would love to see them hugging and grooming each other, I am content the way things are now.  She seems happy and outgoing; although, she clearly respects him.

Knowing how difficult introducing them has been, I am worried about the reintroduction. I do not want him wrestling with her or too much chasing if she is weak and vulnerable from the surgery.

I’m also hopeful her wound will heal sufficiently so that I can ditch the E Collar.  Of course I’ll have to watch her with and without it and not ditch it until her wound is pretty well healed and she is not licking it too much.  Her stitches are inside and self dissolving.  With that in mind these are the steps I’ve taken so far.  I would like any advice on what else to do and how.  

She got spayed yesterday, Friday, and I am having her boarded at the vets until Monday after I come home from work.  This will keep her almost 4 days under their care and enable her to heal somewhat.  I visited her this morning and she is doing well.  Once I take her back I am keeping her in a neighbors apartment for another 2 or 3 days at most.  I do not want to impose on my neighbor, but I do want to give her time to stretch her legs and not be confined to the vet’s cage.  

After that, it is back home, almost a week from the surgery.  I intend to keep her in the bathroom for a day, but it will be very difficult to do that for days on end.  I’ll need the bathroom myself, to shower etc., and it is small and she is getting large and very acrobatic.

While she is at the neighbor’s home I can do the scent swapping thing with towels or washcloths.  I’ll continue that when she comes home. I’ll need some step by step advice on who gets what scent swapped, how often, and any other tips.  I’ve heard about the use of vanilla drops and some other things.  

Any ideas on this is greatly appreciated.  I’ve had 3 other females spayed in my lifetime, but never had the dynamic at home with the other cat as I do know.  I want to do it right.  Thanks.  

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It isn't always necessary to do a reintroduction after a vet stay. Yes, sometimes it has to be done, but in 30 years of owning cats I've never had to do it. What I suggest you do is get a clean washcloth, rub it all over Sparky (as for making a scent cloth) and do the same with Lucy. Add a little pure vanilla extract to each cloth, swap them over, then rub both cats down once more. Then just let them be in the same room and supervise for a little while. Have a towel or blanket handy just in case you need to stop a fight starting, but they'll likely be of, imo. It simply sounds to me like Sparky likes to make sure Lucy knows he's the boss, but that there isn't any actual malice there. If things do show signs of starting up, simply separate them and do a shortened version of the introduction process. Hopefully that won't be necessary though.

Regarding the E-collar - talk to your vet about other options. My vet's can (for a small fee) fit the cat with a little bodysuit that prevents them being able to get at their stitches, but without impending movement or peripheral vision in the way that an E-collar does. There are lots of versions here on Amazon, to give you an idea of what I mean.

Wishing Lucy a speedy recovery :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

govtlawyer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice.  Lucy is recovering nicely.  Saw her at the vet today and she was energetic and very curious about the small room we met in.  We took the collar off and she started grooming herself.  It was put back on before I left.  Sparky was also at the vet.  He has been having excessive eye discharge lately.  Clear fluid but very wet.  The diagnosis is a small case of conjunctivitis. I have to give him an eye ointment for a week.  However, that eliminates the scent swap from him to her.  I can't rub his face and then hers with the same towel if he has the eye problem.  The vet said it is more important to get her scent to him than vice versa as he is the most likely to object to her and not her to him.

I also got his nails clipped.  Once together again he will not hurt her if he swats at her.  My plan is still to bring her to my neighbor tomorrow after work and to keep her there for two or three days.  I'll be able to watch her and make sure she is not licking her wounds and if so to keep the collar on a bit longer.  I'll also be able to wipe her down with the towels and bring them home to Sparky.

In 3 or 4 days I'll bring her back home and reintroduce them over a day or so.  

I wouldn't be jumping through so many hoops, as I've not done so in the past, but for Sparky's unpredictability.  It seems like I've been speaking ill of Sparky in these posts.  He really is a wonderful cat.  He's beautiful and affectionate and talkative.  He just easily gets perturbed. 

govtlawyer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here’s an update on my reintroduction of Lucy to Sparky after being spayed.  

I brought her home this morning from my neighbor’s apartment.  She is healing well and I sent photos of her incision to the vet.  She gave the OK to remove her collar for good. I put a towel which Sparky had laid on for days into her carrier and put a towel she had laid on in Sparky’s favorite place.   I put her in my small bathroom in her carrier and the litter box and food and water.  I opened the carrier and left her in the bathroom.

Sparky was and is very leery.  He heard her crying and he retreated a fair distance from the door.  I kept her in there for several hours.  She was not happy.  Eventually I brought her out in her carrier and placed it in view of Sparky.  He stayed away.  She meowed.  After awhile I managed to pick up Sparky and put him in the bathroom.  When I closed the door I let Lucy out of the carrier.  She immediately went all over the apartment and was obviously happy to be home.  When Sparky would cry in the bathroom she would go to the door.

After several hours I got Lucy in the carrier and opened the to the bathroom.  Sparky would not leave the bathroom; although, he wasn’t happy there.  I closed the door again and put the carrier in the kitchen.  When I opened the door he warily walked by it and gave a few hisses in its direction.  When he was clear I put the carrier in the bathroom and let Lucy out.

As it is now, it seems to me that Lucy is not leery of Sparky, but he is of her.  I intend to play the carrier and kitty switch for another day and also swap scents with a sock on my hand.  Neither one likes the washcloth on their face, but a soft sock will do the trick.

Any ideas how long I have to keep this up?  I am only good for another few days.  Eventually I’ll have to go to work.  I hate to keep either one locked up for any length of time.

I suspect Sparky will never get totally used to her - he wasn’t exactly her buddy before the spaying.  I think if I get it back to his occasional hisses or lunges and her being able to get away, will be OK by me.  Even their rough play would be ok.  If it is as it was before they will have long stretches of tolerance (mostly by Sparky as Lucy seems fine with him.)

Any suggestions or comments?  This past week from her spaying to boarding to staying with a neighbor and now with the kitty shuffle has been a huge drain on me.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
When ever one cat has been out of the home and returns to others there is usually some sort of settling period.  I think the main thing is that the resident cat reacts to the 'alien' smell.

Once Lucy looses the scent of her vet trip and your neighbour's appartment it should be much easier for them to settle down together and work out how they want to get along.  Firstly do what you can to help Lucy regain the scents of your home, and swap scents just as you would if she were coming in for the first time.  Over the coming day see if you can allow them supervised time together, allolwing them access between rooms and see if they can work things out.  There may well be some growls and hisses but this would be quite normal, just watch the body language carefully and work to distract them if they seem to be getting too worked up and might go in to attack mode.  Always good to keep a blanket or two handy in case this happens too.   

I hope things settle quickly.   

govtlawyer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your help. I have been switching them between the bathroom and the rest of the apartment.  Lucy is much more comfortable.  I swapped towels and rubbed some faces with a sock.  I may not be able to tell how well Sparky is because he is generally ornery.  He is eating now around 6 feet from where Lucy is behind the door.  Believe me - nothing will be unsupervised.  Any idea how long it will take before she loses the odor from my neighbor's home?  I hope to allow them access to each other tomorrow morning if it isn't too soon.  

During the swap of places I have Lucy in the see through carrier.  Sparky hisses at her, not coming too close.  However, he hisses at her often anyway.  Can't wait until I can leave them alone.  This is pretty stressful.

govtlawyer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just let Lucy out of her carrier.  Sparky is on the top perch of his cat tree, eyeing her intently.  He has not hissed or taken any steps towards her.  On the other hand, she is walking around the apartment and looking up at him.  She hasn't moved toward him.  That Sparky hasn't chased her is a good sign to me.  That she is respecting him and keeping her distance is also a good sign.  I will not let them out together tonight and will let them out again tomorrow.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's all sounding really positive G govtlawyer :clap: It's always such a great feeling when they start respecting each other's space and evolve ways to live together in harmony :D No chasing is indeed a very good sign. Good boy Sparky! :heart4: And well done you, too for staying patient through what can be an intensely frustrating process. Great job :high5: :bigthumb:

Last edited:

govtlawyer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

It looks like things are OK.  I let them both roam the apartment last night.  I sensed, correctly, that Sparky was not going to go after Lucy.  He seemed reticent but respectful of her.  She was a bit wary of him, but outgoing.

During the night both came to visit me on my bed at different times.  In the past Sparky would hiss and chase Lucy off the bed.  He spent most of the night under the bed.  In the morning they were back to their old routines, except for Sparky who refused to come out from under the bed for breakfast.  I couldn't lure him out with treats or toys or laser pointers.  Eventually I managed to catch him at a moment when he left the area and I was able to close the bed to its daytime couch configuration.  Without the bed to hide under he just hung out.  Eventually he ate.

Once when he was sitting next to me on the couch she walked past him and he hissed at her, but no lunging.  Actually, it seems better than before she was spayed.  I don't care too much if they aren't all hugs and kisses.  The constant lunging at her and occasional wrestling to the ground with bites on her neck was troubling to me - probably more so than to Lucy.  That leads me to a question.  Does her having been spayed alter their interaction?  Was he able to tell that she was a female from the time she arrived at 3 months until last week, and now he can't?  Was part of his aggression to her because she was a female?  He is an altered male from 6 months old and he never exhibited unaltered behavior.  

I'll come back and post after a few more days.  I'll be eyeing them carefully.  At the very least I am no longer fearful that he will hurt her or that their relationship would be such that I'd have to separate them for good.  The funny thing is that I got her for him as a companion.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:blobmir::bigthumb::banana1::jive::hyper::high5::hobbes::woo::dance::banana2::clap::woohoo::clap::banana2::dance::woo::hobbes::high5::hyper::jive::banana1::bigthumb::blobmir:​

Well done you :D That must feel so great :9: Just keep an eye to make sure that Sparky doesn't continue hiding a lot - that could set up a whole new set of problems if he doesn't relax again soon.

Sparky will definitely be sensing a difference in Lucy already, and she'll be relaxing too as her hormones settle completely. I wouldn't think that his behaviour towards her was due to her not being spayed before - her hormones certainly wouldn't have been active at 3 months old. It's more likely that he just didn't click with her as well as his brother (who he may well still have been missing) - which is only to be expected, especially at first. Sometimes females are bossier than males, and he may just have been asserting his authority as senior cat before she got any bright ideas :lol3: My old boy did the same when he was first getting to know my girl, but they get on well now....even if she does try it on occasionally :rolleyes: After a bumpy start, they play together (pounce and chase games) most days and even call for each other in the house...though I don't think they'll ever be snuggle buddies. Does this kind of picture look familiar?

I have a hunch that Lucy and Sparky will end up like Asha and Shadow have....and that would be a great outcome :nod: :D

Last edited:

govtlawyer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lucy and Sparky have staked out their spots.  Sparky approached her earlier and she was in a submissive position.  He hissed and made a half-hearted swing at her and left her alone.  I was kind of relieved.  They will both be ok and I do not see either one brutalizing the other.  I'm so glad this week is over.  Thanks for your help.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I am so relieved and happy for you all.   

Time for a good rest for you I suspect @GovtLawyer

@Columbine    Your photographs of Asha and Shadow is hilarious.  Shadow's expression at Asha's belly display and presumably flirty eyes all over her pal are simply perect.  
   Poor Asha.