"reintroduce" problems .

louise88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello !

so i decided to bring a new friend(well .. two) to my 1yr+ old cat because he loves to play alot !

things are not going well . 

the first time i got them (the two kittens) i rushed to introduce them to my cat , they hissed at each other ( they were inside their carriers) , after a few days or so .. i let them see each other and move freely , my cat just look at them and when i pet him he walks away  and sometimes he goes to "high places" and i can tell he doesn't like them at all.  (and sometimes he sniff their litterbox ,food bowels and their "little" house) .

so i thought that he won't hurt them , and i was WRONG

he keeps following the other kitten (the 3m old) and try to attack him ! actually yesterday he did attack him and bite his neck ... the other kitten (2m old) he tries to attack him as well .. i punished the old cat with water and ignored him . 

i don't want to sell the kittens .. i don't want to sell my cat either !      what should i do ?

note : all of them are males , they are not neutered (sadly that's not an option for me , at least for now)

mjandclyde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
   Neutering can fix many behavioral problems in Cats. In can cause some, but evidently, it does more good than bad, by far.

Buuuuuuuut, since that is not an option, let's see what we can do. How many litter boxes and food bowls do you have? How close are they to each other. Just saying, that may be kind of normal. When I brought home another cat my original one did not like it at all. So, when I called them to me, they would stare each other down... Until I pulled out the treat bag. I gave them both treats and repeated the process a couple times and they completely forgot about their little feud.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louise88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Neutering can fix many behavioral problems in Cats. In can cause some, but evidently, it does more good than bad, by far.

Buuuuuuuut, since that is not an option, let's see what we can do. How many litter boxes and food bowls do you have? How close are they to each other. Just saying, that may be kind of normal. When I brought home another cat my original one did not like it at all. So, when I called them to me, they would stare each other down... Until I pulled out the treat bag. I gave them both treats and repeated the process a couple times and they completely forgot about their little feud.
i will netuer them in the future ! but at the moment i cant .

each cat/kitten has a  litterbox and food bowel of their own

"how close are they to each other" what do you mean by that ? if you mean as in brothers then no .. actually they don't relate to each other at all (all of them).

i will try to give them treats , but i have a question : how long would you do that ? 10 min ? 30 min

and thank you ! 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
@louise88 welcome to TCS.

Introducing new male kittens to a household with an unneutered male is fraught with problems. Your boy sees them as competition and invaders of his territory.

The other problem is that introductions always need to be done slowly.. just putting cats together and hoping for the best is not the way to go.

Here's an article on introducing cats:

[article="32680"]How To Successfully Introduce Cats The Ultimate Guide​[/article]  

But I can't stress strongly enough that neutering will be very helpful.  And I've never known neutering to cause any kind of behavioural problems.  Quite the opposite.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

louise88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you  Mani !