Reintroduce Feral Kittens to being Outdoor Cats

bwstv321

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is the back story for those interested:
Feral Kittens in Winter

We have 3 12 week old kittens that we have been caring for for about 6 weeks. They have become very social to us and are doing well. We can hold them as long as we want. They come up to us and lay at our feet to ask for rubs. Sadly we cannot keep them permanently.

Weve noticed that they have a very close bond to each other. They do everything together, even sleeping. My gut tells me they should stay together, but we can't find anyone willing to take all three. Should this be a concern? Or do you think they would adapt to being alone in a new house by themselves?

If we can't find someone to take all three, we are considering keeping them as 100% outside cats come Spring. Of course we would have a fenced in shelter for them and such... but allow them to roam freely during the day. I know they won't be as safe outside, and that its possible they have a shorter life, but I'm thinking they would have a happier life together outside than being alone in a new house.

Opinions and advice are much appreciated!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for everything you've done for these kittens. You've really made a difference in their lives. All kittens form very close bonds with each other. Some stay close through out their lives, others prefer their own company as they mature. I think if you can find a great forever home for one or two of them you should let them go. Cats do adapt very quickly and if it seems like the perfect home they'll stand a better chance of living a long life indoors.

If you do end up keeping one or all of them consider keeping them as shelter/enclosure cats. My cats have an enclosure with a cat proof fence which means they can't roam. There have been a few escapes after trees came down and broke the fence, but most of the time the cats stay in the enclosure.

If that seems feasible I'd be happy to give you advice on how to make a cat proof fence and outdoor shelters.