Rehoming Cats :(

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That just makes it harder. I just feel I let them down :/ if they are not taken care of properly
YOU DID NOT LET THEM DOWN! You considered their LONG TERM needs above your own wishes and wants. Adoptions through Petsmart are pretty rigorously screened. They will NOT let them go until they are certain they have a safe, loving place. And DO NOT GO THERE. I know how badly you want to see them, and assure yourself that they are ok, but...they are adjusting, and it will only upset ALL of you if you see them there and then have to leave without them, and you will. You COULD call and speak with a volunteer and ask if she could send you a picture, but I don't know if that is allowed or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I actually volunteer for a rescue which keeps cats at a PetSmart. Every Wednesday morning I spend about 4 hours feeding/cleaning and socializing the cats. Volunteers are there at least twice a day and the morning people keep each other up to date via text on each cat. If the set-up there is like ours, I can reassure you that your kitties are well cared for. And this coming weekend is a pet adoption promotion weekend at PetSmart so keep your fingers crossed!
Thanks for that. I just hate having them kenneled and they dont understand what's happening. I'm hoping they are enjoying the attention being out and not the every day life here. But worry that's what they want :/

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My heart and home feel empty without them
Will be 2 weeks tomorrow and the pain just gets worse.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You don't want your kitties that are with you at home to pick up on your stress
Maybe try something to change your routine, so as to help your emotional state so that the cats that are still with you aren't exposed to your feelings.

Hopefully something here will help you, because it feels to me that you are grieving over their loss. Grief is what it is, no matter the circumstances;

When It's Time To Say Goodbye

Lend Me A Kitten

Grieving

Last edited:

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can't believe it's been 4 weeks since I gave them up. I still cannot believe they are gone. I'm staying in touch with the rescue. But my heart aches. They have been at petsmart for 3 weeks. They are going to a foster home this week. I'm hoping to be able to go visit them. With the bad weather and work schedules. We just haven't been able to yet.
I miss them so much. I'm finding hard to enjoy things in life. Dont know how to fill the hole it left :(

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart goes out to you. A similar thing happened to me with 7 escaped chickens that we took in for 5 months. We just couldn't afford to build them a shelter to keep them warm in NY winters. So we gave them to a farmer who had a heated barn. It broke my heart, but we can only do what we can do. :(

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that once they are settled in foster care, you will feel better. Fosters are wonderful people and the kitties will be getting lots of love. It always made me feel better after I knew that a foster had my babies. They are safe and getting lots of attention. It helps to take a bit of the worry away from you once you know they are in a home again. I hope you can get an wonderful update now!

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I thought so too. I should have let then be. But I asked if we could visit them and they said no. I'm heart broken again. I can only hope they are sent to the cat cafe if they dont get adopted soon. They i can hold them again. :(
Or the they do go to heaven and we can meet in the afterlife..

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please stop torturing yourself. :alright:Fosters probably are afraid the kitties will interpret your visit as you picking them back up. They need to get established in a new environment. Just ask for updates. We have a cat Cafe here as well and my cats got adopted from there too. It’s great because lots of people play with them and love on them and they get very special attention there. I didn’t go there because I thought I would want to bring them back home so a friend went. She video taped my kitties regularly and sent me lots of photos. I even got to see a couple of adoptions. The people were holding them snuggled up to their face and cooing at them like a little baby. The cats chose them too. They rubbed all over these people and jumped in their laps , making them love them instantly. I promise that my heart was broken too but when they found great homes, I knew I had done what was right for them. That was the right thing to do. It’s so hard to make that unselfish decision. We really want to keep them but is it fair to them? Give them a chance at a perfect home. They may be the one thing that makes that home complete. Try to think of the day when they are spoiled rotten with snuggles!

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please stop torturing yourself. :alright:Fosters probably are afraid the kitties will interpret your visit as you picking them back up. They need to get established in a new environment. Just ask for updates. We have a cat Cafe here as well and my cats got adopted from there too. It’s great because lots of people play with them and love on them and they get very special attention there. I didn’t go there because I thought I would want to bring them back home so a friend went. She video taped my kitties regularly and sent me lots of photos. I even got to see a couple of adoptions. The people were holding them snuggled up to their face and cooing at them like a little baby. The cats chose them too. They rubbed all over these people and jumped in their laps , making them love them instantly. I promise that my heart was broken too but when they found great homes, I knew I had done what was right for them. That was the right thing to do. It’s so hard to make that unselfish decision. We really want to keep them but is it fair to them? Give them a chance at a perfect home. They may be the one thing that makes that home complete. Try to think of the day when they are spoiled rotten with snuggles!
It's just so damn hard. I have never experienced anything like this. It is torture.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's just so damn hard. I have never experienced anything like this. It is torture.
It is, isn't it? Try this...make a conscious effort to visualize them settled in, happy and content. SEE this in your mind, hold that picture...napping, playing, eating...very strongly. I believe that our thoughts can affect reality (there's a whole science on this, it's called Noetics, and is gaining repute, although it's very new) in many ways, in both OUR lives and in the lives of those we are concentrating on. SO...just on the off-chance that Noetics knows what it is talking about, you want to send GOOD thoughts about them out into the Universe, and GOOD thoughts about them into your own sore heart!