Regularity and frequency of poop with Cisapride-treated megacolon?

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

So a couple of months ago Daisy was put onto Cisapride and Osmolax (which is known as Miralax in the US) for recurring constipation that her vet thinks is probably early stage megacolon. She’s doing well on it - hasn’t been backed up at all, not dry or hard, either. She has her Cisapride about 7 o’clock morning and evening and her Osmolax two hours after that.

What it doesn’t do is get her on a steady, predictable schedule. She’s never gone over 48 hours since starting, but she’s come close to it. She’ll go from a few days of doing it around the 24 hour mark, or a couple of hours over, to a 40 hour gap, then 20-something again, then 30-something, with maybe a 19 hour gap thrown in. It’s nerve-wracking, to say the least; will this be the time I have to get her up to the vet for an enema? (She played “vet chicken” once and did a poop three minutes before the vet opened and I was going to call them.)

So after all this preamble, my question for fellow Cisapride-laxative-megacolon cat parents is, are your cats as irregular as this? And while I think of it, what do your vets consider time to arrange an enema - 48 hours or more?

Dos Gatos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My chronic constipation/possible megacolon kitty Echo was on Miralax and Cisapride. Even with a high dose of Cisapride, she often went 2-3 days of no bowel movement and then sometimes would go multiple times in a day. I tried to not be too concerned about the frequency as long as she seemed to feel ok and was eating and drinking normally.

Paulaei

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
My chronic constipation/possible megacolon kitty Echo was on Miralax and Cisapride. Even with a high dose of Cisapride, she often went 2-3 days of no bowel movement and then sometimes would go multiple times in a day. I tried to not be too concerned about the frequency as long as she seemed to feel ok and was eating and drinking normally.
Hi! how is kitty? what food does she eat? are cisapride and miralax a long-term medication? My cat Felix is in the same situation as yours and I’m so worried :sniffle:

Last edited by a moderator: